The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 2, 2013, 08:01 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Who else likes the B'eagle/Jericho 941?

I like them. Don't know why, just do. Never fired one, but they feel like they would be great pointers and, linking in with another thread of mine, they do look exactly how I imagine a "combat pistol" to look!!

So Jericho/Baby Eagle owners and ex-owners.
What do you like (and dislike) about these very distinctive (looking) pistols?
Above all, post me some pics!!

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; July 2, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old July 2, 2013, 08:04 AM   #2
defjon

I used to have a polished chrome beagle.

I wish I wouldn't have sold it. It was a good shooter, very accurate. Easy to field strip.

What I didn't like was the difficulty of finding accessories. I decided to stick to more mainstream choices going forward- Sig, Glock, etc.
Old July 2, 2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Scimmia

Very distinctive? They're basically just copies of the popular CZ75. You'll find plenty of opinions on them.
Old July 2, 2013, 10:20 AM   #4
SoilworK777

I held one at a gun show this past Saturday. Machining looked excellent, better than my CZ-75B. The finish felt/looked parkerized, and seemed to be well done. Seller was asking $559, NIB.
Old July 2, 2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Kevin_d77

Love mine! I have an IMI version,all steel, late 90's. Best shooter I own. Perfect grip and the weight eats recoil. I bought an XDm9 5.25 to play with and I never shoot it because the Baby Eagle is just that awesome.

Buy one! You will love it!
Old July 2, 2013, 03:35 PM   #6
themalicious0ne

I love my Baby Desert Eagle. Its the old version, full steel, no rail. It has a fantastic grip and is a very accurate shooter. I also own a CZ 75. They are very comparable. Many people I take shooting actually prefer to shoot the Jericho. I am partial to my CZ. I think they are good quality, the only downside is parts/magazines/holsters are more difficult to find. However I read that depending on the BDE caliber, cz 75 mags are interchangeable.
Old July 2, 2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Haz251

Absolutely love mine!!! Its a new generation IWI full size 9mm polymer frame. It out shoots everything else and just feels right in my hand. Downside is that its a lil heavy for what it is and accessories are non existent. Got mine setting right beside me now. It goes everywhere I go and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old July 2, 2013, 10:50 PM   #8

I had one for about 10 years. It got more use than any other pistol in the stable. I like the new ones as well. The black finish is rather cheap, anyone know if they are offering the brushed chrome version? (My Jericho was brushed/matte Chrome)
Old July 4, 2013, 02:08 PM   #9
dave9969

I had one till money got tight.
I ordered it from my gun dealer, he had to get it all the way from Israel direct. Great gun, but as stated its a CZ clone. Not that its a bad thing, the CZ are a good design but suffer from builder issues in quality often.
The Baby Eagle is a great gun. I Had the Baby Eagle II with no picatiny rail on the lower side. This is often the fastest way to tell the real eagles from the ones that Khar is making stateside now(or so I am told I am not an authority). I had no issues with the gun. Fired consistent groups and never had a FTE OR FTF not once with it. But if you get a new one expect to pay upwards of 599 for them now.
You can even still get the 41 acp conversion for them, if you can actually afford the ammo to shoot that one.
Old July 4, 2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Pond, James Pond

And no pictures yet!!

Shame on you all!!

Use that "pic-post" icon.... you know you want to!
Old July 4, 2013, 02:21 PM   #11
Garycw

The only thing I haven't been able to get used to is the slide mounted safety. Everything else I like including the polygonal rifling. Mine .40 cal. And toyed with the idea of selling its only had one 12 round mag through it. You can find holsters for it too.

Old July 4, 2013, 02:29 PM   #12
dave9969

why would I post pictures of a gun I no longer have? thats like keeping a picture of a car you traded it, its just not rite! lol

ok so I got a few lol I cant help it I loved the gun but I needed electricity more!

holy low attachment size rules bat man, how do you guys post pics under 244k?
Old July 4, 2013, 02:45 PM   #13
Pond, James Pond

GaryCW.

That is a poly gun. I thought they were all steel. The one I've seen that I like (but can't afford... again!) is this one taken from the local classied sales website:

I think this is dead sexy!!

Old July 4, 2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Garycw

No, they make the poly too. I do like the steel better though. With the poly you lose some of the weight and still feels great in the hand.
Old July 4, 2013, 03:25 PM   #15
KCRaider21

I have been thinking I want to pick one of these up in .40 s&w. It will probably be my next purchase.
Old July 5, 2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Ludwig Von Mises

Jericho = Good

Baby Eagles = Bad

Jericho = My Israeli friends (tzanchanim(paratroopers)) use them in the field.

Baby Eagle = Heard of cracked frames from 2 people.

Conclusion - Go Jericho.

EDIT: In case some don't know, there is a vast difference in quality and durability between IMI (Israel Military Industries) and IWI (Israel Weapon Industries). Stay away from IWI. Only good thing I have heard about from them is the new import Tavor. The baby eagles are no good.
Old July 5, 2013, 05:11 PM   #17
Kevin_d77

^^^^mine is a IMI Baby Eagle so is that good or bad?

I could care less, I love mine!
Old July 6, 2013, 10:06 PM   #18
Haz251

Yea I got an IWI with 3 years of hardcore abuse under its belt so far... No problems. You hearing of 2 cracked frames instantly gives it a bad rep? 2 frames.......
Old July 7, 2013, 04:16 AM   #19

I never heard that before (IWI bad vs IMI good ) Anybody else care to chime in on this Issue? Don't they buy the frames and slides from Tanfoglio? What about the internal parts? Barrels etc..?
Old July 7, 2013, 06:35 AM   #20
Garycw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz251 View Post
Yea I got an IWI with 3 years of hardcore abuse under its belt so far... No problems. You hearing of 2 cracked frames instantly gives it a bad rep? 2 frames.......
Potato/Patawtoe.. I'm really not which is best. Would tend to say IWI is since that's what I have. If I had IMI would to say they're best. I'd like to think they're BOTH good guns. I do like the looks of all of them and the only thing I don't care for on mine is that darn slide mounted safety/de-cocker. That is the ONLY thing I dislike about it, so much I've considered selling it.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:22 AM   #21
NJgunowner

I think he's confusing the jericho and EA Witness with the cracked frames thing. The Witness wonder finish models used to have an issue with cracking on their 10mm models. I've never once heard of the jericho cracking. I have heard of premature wear on the polymer model magazine release, but that was years ago. I have a .45 jericho/baby eagle 2/whatever you want to call it and it's built like a tank.
Old July 9, 2013, 03:05 PM   #22
TATER

Great little .45… I did swop out the recoil spring for a heavier one.
When new, it would throw my brass out of sight…Lucky if I recovered 20% of my brass..
With the heavier spring it piles the brass about 10 feet at my 4 o'clock..
This is my All steel IMI Baby Eagle .45

Old July 11, 2013, 05:08 AM   #23

You can, however, pick up a brushed Chrome Jericho Clone from Tristar. Its a mad Turk but made pretty well T-100 or T-120 Alloy frame Damn near exact Copy with one diff. No decocker comes with a Frame Mounted Safety
Old July 11, 2013, 10:32 PM   #24
jmstr

I had an all-steel full-sized 9mm one until this March.

I really liked it. Seriously. However, I couldn't pull the trigger in DA and then switch to SA without changing my grip. If I used the right grip and wrist angle for SA, I couldn't get enough meat on the trigger to pull it in DA mode without it jerking all over.

And I'm in California: we have a 10 round limit since January of 2001.

I got into Browning Hi Powers recently and sold my Baby Eagle [VERY ACCURATE AND RELIABLE] to fuel my Hi Power kick. I find the Hi Power just as accurate and reliable, but my fingers can ALWAYS control the trigger properly.

Loved the Baby Eagle, but didn't have enough money to keep it and do other things I wanted to.

If my index finger was .2" longer I'd have probably kept it.

GREAT GUN! [after the trigger job done by polishing all the non-sear moving parts in the gun. From box it felt like there was sandpaper in there.]

James, I've been watching your posts this past year with a lot of interest. I like the path of discovery you are on with different firearms out there in east Europe. Keep it up!
Old July 12, 2013, 03:49 AM   #25
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
James, I've been watching your posts this past year with a lot of interest. I like the path of discovery you are on with different firearms out there in east Europe. Keep it up!
Thanks for the endorsement!!
The "path of discovery", however, feels more like the "breadcrumb trail of ignorance"!!

On the one hand, the small firearms market and limited choice means that I cannot experience a lot of what I'd like. On the other handreloading being an example, it has encouraged me to be shrewd and resourceful in make the most of what I can get locally.

If I could change one thing about my situation (aside from a heckuvalot more cash), it would be more parts/accessory support for what guns one can already buy...

Whatever my road through firearms ownership should be called, though, I really like it!!