The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2013, 11:19 PM   #1
tkvalead

Cleaning powder measures

I am just starting to reload and I understand purchasing new equipment comes with a film of rust protection. What is the best way to clean the equipment? I was told to make sure to take the powder measure apart and clean. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
thomas
Old June 4, 2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Lucas McCain

I clean my powder measure with alcohol, from the drug store. I lube my measures with a very light coat of silicone lubricant to prevent any corrosion.
Old June 4, 2013, 11:59 PM   #3
Fire_Moose

Re: Cleaning powder measures

Agreed. Stay away from the expensive whiskey tho. Popov works just as good.
Old June 5, 2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

Spray carburetor cleaner is my go-to degunker for almost everything. Just keep it off of painted surfaces.
Old June 5, 2013, 09:04 AM   #5
daboone

I just use dish soap and water with a final alcohol rinse to help evaporate the water. After it's dry I'd use graphite powder (found in hardware stores) or run 1 to 3 hoppers full of any powder to lube the measure. Stay away from any kind of lube that's leave a sticky/oily film for obvious reasons.
Old June 5, 2013, 10:02 AM   #6
Swampman1

Or you can use Hornady One Shot which works very well.
Old June 5, 2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1776
Spray carburetor cleaner is my go-to degunker for almost everything. Just keep it off of painted surfaces.
Keeping it off plastic powder hoppers is probably more important. It can destroy them. Alcohol is generally safe for plastic.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 5, 2013, 11:18 AM   #8
David Bachelder

Something I learned. After cleaning and re-assembling everything. Wipe the plastic hopper down with a drier sheet. Next put a small amount of powdered graphite on a small brush and swish it inside the measure. Be sure to dump the measure several times, tap the sides and dump, repeat several times. The graphite is a dry lube and will help keep things moving smoothly. I does stain the plastic hopper a bit, but it's a good trade. Everything will operate very smooth. I clean mine with Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube.

Smokeless and Black powder contain a small amount of graphite, so you will stain the plastic either way.

You can find powdered graphite at most hardware stores, it's used to lubricate locks. I've seen it in small plastic squeeze tubes.
Old June 5, 2013, 02:40 PM   #9
schmellba99

Hornady One Shot works well for me.

Stay away from any oil based lubricants. I had a brain fart one time and failed to adhere to that rule (why I reload with no distractions anymore). I didn't lose much powder, but I lost a couple of hours disassembling my powder measure and re-cleaning and lubricating everything after I discovered my ruh-roh.

Powdered graphite (or moly works well too) and rubbing it down with a dryer sheet or swiffer on occasion to eliminate static electricity. I have a long brush I use to reach down inside it to push all the powder out of the rotor when I'm changing powders as well.

All in all, it's a simple process and it is fairly maintenance free compared to most other things.