The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2013, 09:15 PM   #1
baddarryl

Recommend a powder please..

Hi all. I am getting ready to start reloading and will at first be loading 9mm for plinking and IDPA. I also have 4 boxes of xtp bullets so I will load those hotter I am sure. There are so many powders I don't know where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as burn rate and a flexible powder if that makes sense? What are generally the good brands you guys have experience or are all commercial powders acceptable?

Also do powders come with their own loading data per caliber etc? Thank you.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:35 PM   #2
jimbob86

Alliant Power Pistol for 9mm.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

WSF (Winchester Super Field) powder probably will work well for what you are wanting to do. It works best from mid level to the top end in 9 mm. You will find powder manufacture's will normally have load data on their web sites. I suggest getting a chronograph or find someone with one to test your loads to make certain the meet the power factor you need for competition.

There are several powders you can use to load 9 mm ammo with. Pistol Powder does work well but many complain about the amount of flash you get with it. When shooting at an indoor range you notice these things more than you would shooting in full day light outside.

I prefer a mild load for plinking and general range use. The mild loads I can shoot all day long and not feel the worst for wear. They are also easier on the pistol and the brass.

Some powders work better for lead or plated bullets than others. Some powders also work better for jacketed bullets. Which bullet do you plan to use for plinking and practice? Which bullet do you plan to use for competition?
Old June 1, 2013, 12:23 AM   #4
2ndtimer

I have used a number of powders successfully in loading for a couple of 9mm pistols: Unique, Accurate No. 5 and No. 7, HS-6, Tite Group, Universal Clays, W-540, Power Pistol, W-231. I am sure Bullseye, Accurate No. 2 and a couple of the Ramshot and Vihta Vuori powders would work fine as well. You can find loading data on the various manufacturer's websites, and you should also buy a loading manual or two and read up on the how to's of reloading before you start.
I am currently loading mostly 115 gr JHP bullets with Tite Group, 4.5 gr with standard small pistol primer (either CCI-500 or WSP). They shoot clean with the jacketed bullets and provide around 1100 fps out of my Glock Model 19.
Old June 1, 2013, 05:49 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

safety, and ease, and such....

In no particular order (except the best first):

-Vihtavuori 3N37

-Alliant Power Pistol (this is probably the best single choice for 9x19)

-Winchester WAP (discontinued; available from Ramshot as 'Silhouette')

-AA5

-HS6

-others

My reccomendation is Power Pistol (maybe more accurate) or Silhouette (lower flash signature).
Old June 1, 2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Winchester 231. It's been my goto powder for most of my reloading needs for over 30 years.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:35 AM   #7
serf 'rett

W-231 loads for my pistols are great for target shooting; however, they fall below IDPA power levels (in my pistols).

Unique has a tad more ump and will meet power factor plus a little, but it doesn't meter as well since it's a flake powder.

I've developed good loads with N340, but not so good with the N320 which some of my friends swear by. Downside is the power is hard to find and costly when found.

Having stated the above, my primary 9mm powder is Power Pistol. Use it for 40S&W also.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Mohave-Tec

I use WAP. Winchester Action Pistol but it hasn't been made in 10 or more years. I took it in on a trade and it works wonderfully. But I see Tite Group come up in searches more than anything else out there. I have several pounds of it just 'cause.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:44 AM   #9
boxing21

Another vote for Power Pistol. It's become my favorite for 9x19, makes a great range round, and can get great velocity when loaded to the higher side of the charts. It also meters well. WIN 231 is my second favorite powder. These days, you have to be kind of open to new powders, and try what you can get your hands on.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Misssissippi Dave

You can reach the power factor with WSF, AA5 and AA7 powders. AA2 will work but you will never reach the power factor with it since it is a very fast powder. I think you can reach the power factor easier when using a 124/125 grain bullet rather than using the 115 grain bullets. These powders do measure well with most powder measures. WSF, AA5 and AA7 do burn cleaner at the mid level and above.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Pilot

I've been using Titegroup for 9MM, and .45 ACP with excellent results. I switched from HP-38/W231 (Clays for the .45) but had great results with that also.

Last edited by Pilot; June 1, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Silver00LT

I use W231(HP-38) for my 9MM. Excellent powder. I've heard WST was good for 9MM as well. I am going to grab a bottle when I see one on the shelves.
Old June 1, 2013, 10:17 AM   #13
BigTex308

Titegroup and AutoComp have become my go to powders if I want some punch behind a 9mm.

I also like Unique, Power Pistol, HS6, & HP38/Win231

Ike
Old June 1, 2013, 04:01 PM   #14
baddarryl

Mostly what I'll be loading is FMJ for target and IDPA as stated. You guys reminded me of the power requirement for IDPA. Chances are I will just end up loading everything for that as that was what almost all of my ammo goes to for 9mm anyway. I had some Ranier 115 FMJ's in My Cart at Midway last night and they got sold out from under me as I was looking for powder. Gotta move quick these days! BTW I have 4 100 count boxes of Hornady XTP 124 GR bullets. I wouldn't mind trading maybe 2 boxes for some FMJ's if anyone is interested.
Old June 1, 2013, 05:23 PM   #15
Silver00LT

Those Rainier bullets lasted longer than I thought. I saw them for sale around 2 days ago.
Old June 1, 2013, 06:29 PM   #16
BigD_in_FL

Add Universal and most 12 gauge shotgun powders from Hodgdon and Alliant. It sounds like you need a manual or three
Old June 1, 2013, 06:42 PM   #17
Mohave-Tec

Well baddarryl, I've been looking for exactly 200 of those XTP for 6 months now. I have absolutely ample of everything else on the planet for reloading. When's the next time you'll be in Las Vegas? LOL
Old June 1, 2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Nick_C_S

To hit the power floor with 9mm, you're probably going to need a medium buring powder; like HS-6. Unique, or AA5 - all three are good. I think maybe I missed your bullet weight. Hopefully, you have 124's.
Old June 1, 2013, 08:16 PM   #19
Huskerguy

I have used HS-6, W231/HP38, Red Dot, and Titegroup. Titegroup does exactly as advertised. I use 4.0 grains with a 124 grain FMJ and 4.3 grains with a 115 grain bullet. Both are dead accurate (judged by shooting off a rest and not trusting myself) in my CZ. Hs-6 was hard for me to find the sweet spot, W231 is a close second to TG but for me it is a bit more dirty, Red Dot is good as well, but TG gets the job done on all fronts. Good luck. I have the original 500 XTP's in 115 grain I received when I purchased my LNL press. I need to get around to loading them one of these days.
Old June 1, 2013, 08:26 PM   #20
Mohave-Tec

I've got perfect loads with some old Winchester Action Pistol but I preparing to try a switch to TiteGroup as the WAP is running low. I have every confidence it will be a good as the WAP. It better be, I found 6 pounds of it last week. I will be loading 124gr copper plated RN.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:22 PM   #21

If the XTP loads will have any defense application, stay away from Power Pistol. At night your loads will look like they're coming from a flamethrower. The WAP recommendations are spot on except that it's no longer sold as WAP. Today it's called Ramshot Silhouette and the powders are identical including the load data. Silhouette is treated to have very low flash and it is pressure stable enough that IPSC shooters use it to load the very fast and high pressure 9mm Major. It's only serious competition with the IPSC guys is 3N37 and HS-6 although LongShot and True Blue see some use as well. 9mm powders just don't get any better than Silhouette/WAP, all things considered.
Old June 1, 2013, 10:49 PM   #22
Sure shot wv

I compete in IDPA using a 9mm as well. An xdm 5.25 to be exact. I shoot almost strictly rainier in comp. which btw rainier bullets are plated not jacketed. Anyway I use 147hp mostly and occasionally 124s. With autocomp powder you will have no problem hitting min power factor. However recently I came into a few thousand 115hp's and I worked out one of the most accurate loads EVER but, I haven't chrono'd them yet and I don't think there gonna hit power factor. I've found autocomp better with the heavier bullets. It's super consistent, super clean, and meters flawlessly on my dillon.

So, I highly recommend trying autocomp. And rainier bullets for that matter. There are great other powders for 9mm but autocomp is my favorite. 700x did well but doesn't meter great and isn't as consistent. I'm trying wsf next.

Also I've loaded autocomp in 9,40,45, and 38. It's very versatile. But it's best for me in 9mm.
Old June 1, 2013, 10:51 PM   #23
Mohave-Tec

Thank you 57K. I am aware of most things WAP.

Sure shot, 5.1 gr WAP under a 124gr Extreme AND 5.8 gr WAP under a 124gr Golden Sabre both reach 1200 fps out of my Beretta 92A1 with a 4.9 inch barrel.
I have shelved 600 rounds of the Golden Sabre but want to try the XTP or Gold Dot before I finish filling the slot set aside for defense 9mm.

Last edited by Mohave-Tec; June 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:32 AM   #24
WESHOOT2

Man I still gotta lotta WAP.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:33 AM   #25
Sure shot wv

That's pretty good velocities there at 1200. I've never used wap or silhouette but its been on my list. I've been looking for a couple ramshot powders and haven't found any yet. I haven't broke 1200 yet with autocomp but I haven't tried yet either. I know it would do it in the 124g. I just don't know about accuracy. I find most accurate tends to be between 900-1150 depending on bullet weight.

Also I should throw out there my 40 cal rounds with autocomp that are more top end have a good muzzle flash. Doesn't bother me but some people don't like that. I haven't had anything big in 9mm just 40.