The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 15, 2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Noreaster

Gen 4 OEM beavertail backstrap

While shooting earlier this week I observed a factory OEM beavertail backstrap on a Gen 4 G22. The guy shooting next to me just got it. As soon as I got home, and bandaged the glock bite I had earned that day I looked on line and found them out of stock already on a couple of sites. But they are out there now and I'm looking forward to a good high grip on my Glock without any worries!
Old May 17, 2013, 03:37 AM   #2
Venom1956

WOW about time... Only took em what? 20 years?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 17, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Theohazard

Yeah, Gen 4 Glocks are starting to come with four backstraps now: Two of each size, one regular and one with the beavertail. Unfortunately, the beavertailed ones don't fit well onto old Gen 4s.

The new Gen 4s that ship with the beavertail backstraps also have a small square notch at the very top of the frame at the back of the slide. The top of the beavertail fits into this notch; if you put a beavertail grip on an older Gen 4 without the notch, your backstrap wil flop around.

I know this because my friend pointed out that notch on the new Gen 4s to me. He got ahold of a beavertail backstrap to put on his older Gen 4 19 that doesn't have that notch, and he said it flopped around so much he just took it off.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard
Yeah, Gen 4 Glocks are starting to come with four backstraps now: Two of each size, one regular and one with the beavertail. Unfortunately, the beavertailed ones don't fit well onto old Gen 4s.
So there's a Gen 4 and a Gen 4.1?
Old May 17, 2013, 10:45 AM   #5
pilpens

From what I read on the internet (of course -- all true), only Gen 4 Glocks with full sized grip will have beavertail back straps.
Could a Gen 4 19 not have the notch because it was not meant to have a beavertail backstrap?
My Gen 4 Glock 34 and a Friend's Gen 4 Glock 17 have the square notches but did not come with the beavertail backstrap.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Theohazard

All the Gen 4 19s I've seen now come with the two extra beaver tail backstraps and the little notch at the top rear of the frame for fitting the beaver tail backstraps. I haven't checked on any of the subcompacts yet.

Quote:
My Gen 4 Glock 34 and a Friend's Gen 4 Glock 17 have the square notches but did not come with the beavertail
Interesting. It looks like they changed the frame before they added the backstrap to the box. All I know is my friend bough his Gen 4 19 near the end of last year and his doesn't have the notch. Heck, I didn't even notice the notch on the newer ones until he pointed it out to me yesterday; I just thought the only difference was that they shipped with the extra beavertail backstraps.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Noreaster

To bad about the flop. I really need one on my G22 and I don't have the notch. I tried the GFA and didn't care for it.
Old May 17, 2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Theohazard

UPDATE:

I just learned a little more about the beavertail backstrap change on the Gen 4s. I work at an LGS and a while ago I noticed they started adding the beavertail backstraps to the boxes, but until yesterday I never noticed the notch on the frame meant to secure the beavertail from flopping around.

I went through all of our Glock backstock; in Gen 4s we have a bunch of 17s, 19s, 22s, and 26s and a few 23s. Most of them have the beavertail backstraps in the box. But, with the exception of just a few, even the ones with no beavertail still have the new notch for accepting the beavertail. Even a bunch of our 26s have the notch, but none are packaged with the beavertail.

Our Glock rep says they aren't currently selling the bevertails separately, and they have no plans to ship them with the subcompacts. But it looks like they're keeping their options open by putting the notches on all newer Gen 4s, even the subcompacts.

Quote:
To bad about the flop. I really need one on my G22 and I don't have the notch. I tried the GFA and didn't care for it.
I just tried the beavertail on two Gen 4 19s, one with the notch and one without. The beavertail is locked in place by the one with the notch; it moves around a little on the one without it. You might still try it out on yours if you can get ahold of a beavertail; the flop might not be a deal-breaker for you.
Old May 17, 2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Noreaster

Theohazard

Thanks I appreciate the research and info. I have one coming next week and I'll try it without the notch!