The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 8, 2013, 04:56 PM   #1
jimaw2

rossi m92 problem

i recently purchased a m92 rossi .357 trapper. after 40 or 50 trouble free firing the action locked up. i noticed that the loading gate was almost flush with the receiver and when i depressed it, the action cycled. i checked the screws and found the screw behind the gate was loose. another 10 or so shots with no problem. took it out again today and we are having the same issue. it may be more likely to happen when the mag is close to full capacity, but i was not able to shoot it enough to be sure. has anyone run into this and found a solution? it is a new rifle, but i'm not going to ship it back for a "problem" they probably won't be able to duplicate. thanks for your input.......
Old April 9, 2013, 09:55 PM   #2
DnPRK

The screw directly aft of the loading gate secures the loading gate to the receiver.
The screw directly above the loading gate holds the right cartridge guide.
The screw below and slightly aft of the loading gate holds the right side of the carrier/cartridge lift.
Old April 9, 2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Hawg

If it keeps working loose use some blue loctite on it. Don't use red tho.
Old April 14, 2013, 12:26 AM   #4
jimaw2

Ok, after fooling around with this thing I have determined that the problem is not double feeding. I can see that the next round in the mag tube is being held back as it is suppose to be. when the jam occurs something is pushing the loading gate out as I close the action. any ideas?
Old April 16, 2013, 12:59 AM   #5
jimaw2

well, a little update if anyone finds themselves with the same problem it turns out the spring cover for the loading gate was not manufactured properly. it was too short and allowed the cover to move into the loading gate which jammed the action. I found lots of articles on ftf on this rifle, but only one which dealt with my problem. rossi is sending me a new one for no cost and I have "fixed" the old one with a well aimed center punch. works great for now!