The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 31, 2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Flashman

Single Action Self Defense

I saw this was an active topic but now closed. How about Tuff Products' Quickstar as a means of speeding up the loading process?

http://www.tuffproducts.com/product....cat=265&page=1

And to carry two:

http://www.tuffproducts.com/product....cat=265&page=1
Old March 31, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Laz

That's interesting and I might have to pick up a couple to try. However,I can't imagine they would significantly speed up the loading process and I'm guessing they might actually slow it down because one can nearly drop a round in if it is loose with the loading gate acting as a funnel. With this it is going to have to be inserted and then the loader has to be stripped away before the cartridge can drop.

Also, it appears it would limit a Ruger to five rounds so would only work for SAA or clone. Anyway, if I had a Colt SAA and was reloading in a fight, I would want to reload it with six full up because I'm gonna be firing that sixth round in very short order anyway. Is loading six dangerous? At that point I would want it to be dangerous and don't want to give rounds away.

I continue to believe the best plan to use a single action for defense is to try to make those first shots count and, if possible, have a second single action close at hand, if needed. If you have to fight off hordes of zombies or ninjas by yourself with a single-action revolver, it is probably going to be a bad day.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old March 31, 2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Poindexter

I have heard the folks carrying .45ACP revolvers can use a 1911 magazine, often with part of the spring removed as sort of a speedloader for single actions in 45ACP.

I think I'll pass on the star system, looks pretty bulky to tote; but if my oldest (engineering student) gets enough free time to hang out in the on-campus engineering shop I have a little project for her up my sleeve...something about a 1911 magazine made oversize enough to hold .45 Colt cartridges...
Old April 1, 2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Laz

Quote:
something about a 1911 magazine made oversize enough to hold .45 Colt cartridges
Consider that rim-lock could be a factor in preventing easy use Of a magazine to feed .45 Colt.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old April 1, 2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Jim March

Maurice is a better answer than that thing.
Old April 5, 2013, 05:38 AM   #6
seeker_two

For my .357Mag Blackhawk, I use speed strips or SKS stripper clips. Both work well, but the stripper clip works best in clearing the loading gate.

Not sure what type of stripper clip would work for .44/.45 rounds.....
Old April 5, 2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Chesster

Bulky and slow comes to mind when I think of SA for SD. Back in the 70s I knew a deputy that carried an OM Blackhawk .357 on duty but that was a different era.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old April 5, 2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Edward429451

Bulky? Nah. Don't use a 7.5" barrel, lol. The smallish size is one of the appealing aspects of a SA for defensive use. Slow? Situational awareness is the key here. If one is not aware of their environment and the potential threats present, then their draw is going to be just as slow with any gun.

The only possible drawback to a SA for defense in my mind would be multiple attackers. This can be tactically considered and dealt with. I marvel at the size/horsepower available in such a small action with SA's. And they are usually easily twice as accurate as any semi. Another consideration..
Old April 5, 2013, 09:42 PM   #9
wyobohunter

Single Action Self Defense

Magnum Research makes a .357 magnum Desert Eagle auto loader. I bet the magazine for it would make a pretty good ammo carrier/"speed" loader for a .357 single action revolver. Just keep it in your pocket. Holds 9 I believe.

Same for the MR Desert Eagle .44 if you pack a Super Blackhawk.
Old April 5, 2013, 11:48 PM   #10
Newton24b

it has the same speed limitations as a standard bianchi style speed strip.

not bad, not good. far far far better then loose ammunition in a dump pouch.

many options exist for making speed loading devices for a saa revolver. ive spent hours toying with the possibilitys.
Old April 6, 2013, 08:38 AM   #11
pete2

If you think it possible to need a fast reload switch to a D/A or semi auto. Fast reloads usually means life or death unless it's one of the shooting games.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:27 AM   #12
dahermit

If one wears a red sash with two Colt Navies in it, one does not need to be concerned with reloading a single action in a self-defense scenario.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:55 PM   #13
Strafer Gott

4-5 opentops in a canvas bucket is even better, Dahermit!
Old April 6, 2013, 02:41 PM   #14
Edward429451

Quote:
If one wears a red sash with two Colt Navies in it, one does not need to be concerned with reloading a single action in a self-defense scenario.
One of my fav movies!
Old April 6, 2013, 05:07 PM   #15
IDAHOMIKE

Seems an interesting idea. Looks sort of bulky to tote around. I do like the idea of single action as EDC pieces, but I either use a cartridge slide or don't carry spare ammo.
I have heard of the stripper clip thing. Have heard that Mosin Nagant stripper clips work for 44 rounds but have never tried it firsthand.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:29 PM   #16
treg

I carry my spare ammo in Tuff Quick Strips tucked in a cheap little camera bag from Walmart. Mostly to keep them clean and from banging into each other while bouncing along in a saddle bag or pocket.

Neat product but the added bulk would offset the speed gained in a reload for my intentions.