The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 27, 2021, 08:54 AM   #1
STORM2

Powder leaching to scale internals

I have read and understand the “Do Not Leave Powder” in loading stuff warning.
I have no issue with safety, but... If you are loading a single powder, in a single caliber and want to work the load over several days emptying and cleaning digital powder scales is a PITA. If some powders seem to attack some plastic/polymer composite parts, why are there no devices made of stainless and glass. It makes no sense to load the scales for 10 rounds, then spend three times the load time to empty/clean it. I would pay the price for such a device. I can’t be the only person who has had this evil thought.
Old May 27, 2021, 09:02 AM   #2
hounddawg

I hear you, guess they just try and keep costs down. On my RCBS CM I use a long handled paint brush about 1/2" wide that I snagged from the wifes crafting desk.
Old May 27, 2021, 09:21 AM   #3
jetinteriorguy

As far as steel or glass I would think static would be a problem. RCBS needs to figure out what kind of plastic Lee uses, I’ve left powders of all kinds in my Lee powder measures and never had any kind of reaction. Sometimes with pistol loading I’ll leave powder in the hopper for 2-3 weeks.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:23 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Leaving powder in a scale or dispenser for several days is not a problem. But, it shouldn't be left in the device for weeks or months or the "leaching", or more properly, pitting may occur depending on the powder formulation.

A bigger concern to me is simply memory. Be sure you have a way to identify what powder is in the device if you leave it for an extended period. The old rule to have only one powder container on the bench at a time applies doubly here.
Old May 27, 2021, 12:25 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Quote:
why are there no devices made of stainless and glass.
Because plastic is cheaper.

There used to be some with glass or metal hoppers, typically iron or brass bodies and rotors.

There is an outfit that sells glass hoppers for popular measures, replacing the plastic that is discolored or even pitted by powder.
Old May 27, 2021, 04:49 PM   #6
Hammerhead

Is it just the hopper?
Or are they concerned about the mechanism?
The may be glass replacement hoppers.
Old May 27, 2021, 05:04 PM   #7
STORM2

About 2 years ago (I think..definitely pre-Covid and change) I left TiteGroup in my Gen 6 for several days. Not a week. It bonded with the plastic guts. I had to replace parts and scrape residue out. That spooked me. I’m gonna order a small manual scale for small test sessions (10/20 rounds).

Speaking of the Gen6. Mine is a mute now. Thanks to internet hacks, I muted that obnoxious son-alert. It now has an internal suppressor. Who ever blessed that thing should have to go to detention hall....with a mask.

Last edited by STORM2; May 27, 2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old May 28, 2021, 04:18 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

I've experimentally left powder (Universal) in a Dillon hopper for several years. It yellowed and probably weakened the plastic, but no adhesion occurred. I suspect that happens when there is still a fair amount of solvent trapped in the finished powder. Whatever the cause, it would seem this is powder-type (and possibly powder age) as well as plastic-type dependent phenomenon. So, when in doubt, don't do it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 28, 2021, 04:22 PM   #9
Jim Watson

Bullseye and HP38 have darkened my Dillon hoppers. I have homemade gauge rods but have been thinking about glass.

I don't recall the powder but Something rotted out the cheap acrylic on my Redding. It now has a metal hopper for use with black.

I coated my plastic scale pan with graphite based mold release and eliminated static cling.
Old May 28, 2021, 05:14 PM   #10
sako2

It only takes a few minutes to empty my digital scale
Old May 28, 2021, 05:28 PM   #11
Don Fischer

I use an RCBS measure with my rifles and never ever leave powder in the dispenser. On the other hand I have a Mec 28ga press and a Ponsness Warren sq deal for my 16ga. I never take the powder out of them.
Old May 28, 2021, 08:14 PM   #12
gwpercle

For loading 10 rounds ... they make this neat little thing called a balance beam scale .
No electricity or batteries required , all metal parts , easy to clean .
Put powder in scale pan untill desired weight is reached...pour powder into case .
No problem .
Gary
Old May 28, 2021, 08:29 PM   #13
STORM2

Yep, already decided to put a stand alone scale on line.
Old May 29, 2021, 01:36 AM   #14
Nick_C_S

My RCBS Uniflow powder hopper is all dark discolored. You can barely see through it at all.

But only on rare occasions have I left powder in the hopper over night (only when I know I'm going to continue loading the next day).

So how did my hopper get so discolored? Simple; it's almost 37 years old. Cumulatively, powder has been in the hopper for years .
Old May 30, 2021, 06:03 AM   #15
pathdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
I have read and understand the “Do Not Leave Powder” in loading stuff warning.
I have no issue with safety, but... If you are loading a single powder, in a single caliber and want to work the load over several days emptying and cleaning digital powder scales is a PITA. If some powders seem to attack some plastic/polymer composite parts, why are there no devices made of stainless and glass. It makes no sense to load the scales for 10 rounds, then spend three times the load time to empty/clean it. I would pay the price for such a device. I can’t be the only person who has had this evil thought.
I wouldn't buy one of those auto-dispensing things unless I was routinely loading hundreds of rounds every session but still needed every one individually weighed to a tenth of a grain. (I mean, I WANT one, but I simply can't justify it.)

If I were loading plinking ammo just to have fun with, especially if I were nowhere near maximum, I'd use (and do in fact have) a manual dispenser and check the load every so often.

If I'm only loading 10-20 rounds, I go for the manual scale every time.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:45 AM   #16
totaldla

I like how the Lee Deluxe does it - the 1lb powder container is used as the hopper and the lid is the on/off valve.