The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Spike0544

SIG P229

I went to the range yesterday with my new Sig P229 Enhanced Elite. I bought this gun for my EDC about a month ago but this is my first time out with it. I love the look and feel of the gun so much that I am not sure I want to carry it and mess up the finish. The range was fairly disappointing though. I was all over the target with it. After shooting it I switched gears to my Kimber Custom II Target and my accuracy was as perfect. I'm not sure where to go from here. I assumed the P229 would be easier to shoot than my .45. I can't really make sight adjustments because there was no rhyme or reason to my targets. What should I do next? Also, should I stick with my XDS for my EDC or will the P229 finish hold up well?
Old March 26, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2
BarryLee

I’ve been carrying a P229 enhanced Elite for a couple of years and really have no noticeable wear, so I wouldn’t worry about that.

As for the accuracy issues that sort of surprises me since mine tends to be accurate and very easy to shoot. I guess you could try some different brands of ammo if you can find any. Also, I guess just shoot the thing a little more and see if you get more acclimated to it with time.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 26, 2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Davejb

A couple additional things to determine the issue, have another experienced shooter try it, or use a ransom rest to give you some stability. Shouldn't be too hard to track down the problem.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:18 PM   #4
TunnelRat

What caliber was it? Is it DA/SA or DAK?

You're talking about two rather different firearms. It will likely take a bit of time to adjust.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 27, 2013, 08:20 AM   #5
loose_holster_dan

if i'm correct, the enhanced elite has the SRT. this trigger will throw you way off until you get used to it. i have one on my p226. i had an old p226 that i was used to shooting, and when i switched over to the SRT model, i was easily 3-4" off, until i realized how bad i was jumping on the trigger (i put a laser on it, and had a friend watch the laser when i fired). it took quite a few rounds of very intentional trigger pull to train my finger. now, i'm very accurate with it.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old March 27, 2013, 11:06 AM   #6
SmokinSigs357

I was a little leary about ruining the look of my P229 Extreme, so I got a P239 SAS Gen 2 for my EDC.

I am very surprised at the lack of inaccuracy you are claiming with your 229. I find that most people are driving tacks with most DA/SA P-Series SIGs within minutes.

Remember, that the sight picture on these are #3, which means that the sight will be covering your target.

My guess is that you are just so stoked to be handling such an awesome gun!
Old March 27, 2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Hammerhead

You just need to give it more time. Get some snap caps and do a lot of dry fire practice.
Old March 27, 2013, 01:16 PM   #8
BigJimP

You need to adjust to the different grip and the trigger....dry firing for 10 min each nite, for the next couple of nights, is probably your best answer...

then go back to the range with it....
------------
1911 triggers move straight back and forth in the frame...and all of the Sig 229's ( 226's, 239's, etc ) all have triggers that move thru an arc ( they're pinned at the top ) ...so they move thru that arc ...to break..and to reset...

now if its the "SRT" or DAK or DA/SA trigger those are all factors too ....
Old March 27, 2013, 01:35 PM   #9
hulley

I love my P229 E2 with SRT. It took me a session to get used to the SRT but after that all was well. I find it to be a very accurate gun and the sights are a "dead center" hold where some of mine are a 6 o'clock hold.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:08 AM   #10
mach1.3

I have an older 2003 P229 in .357. It is not the enhanced elite nor it does have the alloy frame. I recently had Sig put the short trigger, SRT and E2 grips on it. My hands are small so I couldn't get a solid purchase on the double action trigger before but now it's fine. It took me several range sessions to get the feel for the new trigger--now I'm very accurate since my trigger pull is smoother, shorter reset, lighter and I'm used to it. My gun is very sensitivity to the limp wrist hold and will occassionally stovepipe if I shoot with a less than firm wrist. You have a great gun that will last through several generations--the accuracy is the Indian not the bow.