The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 24, 2013, 02:22 PM   #1
dgludwig

Winchester Model 100 Question

I like to think that I know a little about the Winchester Model 100 rifle ever since I shot my first deer with one back in 1964. I've always believed that the Model 100 was only chambered in the .243, the .308 and the .284 cartridges-until yesterday; after I attended a gun show in Wilmington, Ohio. It was at this show that I saw a Model 100 carbine, sans checkering or "basket-weave" impressions, that had a price tag of $1,295.00 and an identifier tag that said it was chambered in .358 Winchester!
I thought that, maybe, the seller had simply misidentified the chambering but he assured me that the rifle came from the factory chambered in .358, and, in fact, he has seen a couple of other Model 100s so chambered by the factory over the years. A careful examination of the rifle persuaded me that the rifle was, indeed, a factory rifle chambered in .358. Because I am certain that the Model 100 was never cataloged in this chambering, I can only assume that it was a special order that the factory honored. This struck me as being very unusual because rechambering a semi-auto in a different cartridge (even one thats parent shared the same case-.308 to .358 in this instance) would be a lot more involved than rechambering, say, a bolt-action or a lever-action or a single-shot rifle would be.
So I am wondering if anyone on the forum knows more about the history of the Model 100 being chambered in .358? For sure, it seems to me that a Model 100 carbine chambered in .358 would make for a superb woods rifle for hunting whitetails and black bears in heavy cover.

Last edited by dgludwig; March 25, 2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:24 PM   #2
cvc944

Interesting find. The Model 100 was the auto-loading cousin of the lever-action Model 88. The Model 88 was offered in .358 Winchester. Because of the similarities of the two rifles, Winchester might have made an uncatalogued run of Model 100 rifles in .358 Winchester. But I'm just guessing here and would be sure like to hear the real story about this rifle.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:33 AM   #3
jrothWA

Yes, the M100 was..

made in the following:
[in order of commonality] 308Win, .243Win, .284Win, & .358Win.

So, what you saw is correct due to the limited numbers chambered.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I don't know whether it was cataloged or not, but I do know that Winchester did make the 100 in .358 Winchester, as I have seen several at gunshows and in collections over the years.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 26, 2013, 12:16 PM   #5
dgludwig

Not only was the Model 100 rifle never cataloged in a .358 Win. chambering, but none of my many reference books (including The Standard Catalog of Firearms, Modern Gun Values, The Blue Book of Gun Values and Winchester, An American Legend) make any mention of this apparent Winchester anomaly. It would be interesting to know how many were actually made by the factory.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:20 AM   #6
wachtelhund1

I have several Win 100's. I've been told those Win 100's in .358 Win were rebarreled with Model 88 barrels. Both barrels were similar expect for the gas port and block, not a major issued for a handy gunsmith.
Old April 2, 2013, 05:24 PM   #7
dgludwig

So, if the Model 100s chambered in .358 Winchester are merely rifles being rebarreled with Model 88 barrels (and altered by gunsmiths to make the cartridge function in a semi-auto rifle), it would seem that a Model 100 chambered in .358 was never a factory offering. This assumption goes to the question I originally posited: was the Model 100 ever chambered in .358 Winchester by the factory?
Old April 2, 2013, 05:46 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Winchester barrels are heavily stamped with the model and caliber. I have never seen a Model 100 in .358, but if that is what is on the barrel, I would very much doubt is was done by other than the factory.

Jim
Old April 2, 2013, 06:00 PM   #9
dgludwig

I agree, James K. And that's what I saw on the rifle I looked at, as related in my original post-though, in reference to wachtellhund1's post, Model 88 rifles were also "heavily stamped" with the caliber (.358) but, to my recollection, without mention of the model number (at least in the speciman that I examined).
Old April 2, 2013, 10:18 PM   #10
wachtelhund1

Quote:
I agree, James K. And that's what I saw on the rifle I looked at, as related in my original post-though, in reference to wachtellhund1's post, Model 88 rifles were also "heavily stamped" with the caliber (.358) but, to my recollection, without mention of the model number (at least in the speciman that I examined).
So was it stamped or not? I did a quick Google search and there are no records of a Win 100 being produced in .358 Win. But now I have to eat my words, as I came across this auction last year. Appears the auction was closed, reserve not met. It was a Win 100 in .358 Win, one of the pictures show the barrel stamping. http://www.gunauction.com/buy/109143...n-.358-caliber
Old April 3, 2013, 01:44 AM   #11
dgludwig

Quote:
So was it stamped or not?
It was stamped .358 Winchester (see post no. 1), a factual apparent anomaly which prompted me to start this thread. Unfortunately, I can't recall which model number (Model 88 or Model 100) was stamped on the barrel. It looked to be an authenic Winchester stamping and, at the time, I just assumed it was a barrel originally made for a Model 100. I wish now that I'd paid better attention-not that knowing that (the model number) would have necessarily solved the "mystery" for certain; but it certainly would have helped.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:44 AM   #12
wachtelhund1

I know some Win 100's were rebarreled with win 88 barrels in .358 Win and have seen them for sale in online gun auctions were they stated they were rebarreled. I do not believe changing the caliber to .358 Win would be difficult. Look at the AR action and numerous calibers now being used. I currently have a H&R 700 auto in .22 mag and have been considering converting it to 5.7X28. The only thing stopping me is the cost of haveing a new bolt made by EDM to move the firing pin to the center. I'm wieghing the price as opposed to buying a new gun. The gun in your case could have been a special order. In the link I provided, http://www.gunauction.com/buy/109143...n-.358-caliber ; look closely at the "5" in the .358. It is not the same as the 3 and 8 stamping which are heavier stampings than the 5. Obivousliy, it is not a Winchester 100 that came off their production line. However, that does not mean it wasn't made by Winchester as a speical order.
Old April 3, 2013, 01:02 PM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

I don't know a great deal about the history of the Win Model 100. What I do know is that in the late 80s or early 90s, they were the subject of a recall. Some problem with the firing pin, I believe.
Old April 3, 2013, 05:38 PM   #14
wachtelhund1

Quote:
I don't know a great deal about the history of the Win Model 100. What I do know is that in the late 80s or early 90s, they were the subject of a recall. Some problem with the firing pin, I believe.
It was the firing pin. They have just about all been fixed. Once in a while some one will have one that wasn't corrected. Wisedner's ?? and most gunsmiths can fix them and they'll be re-imbursed by Winchecter and their new company. Anyone could replace the firing pin. It is a shame that Winchester quit producing them. Manufacturing cost was too high. Great guns, streamlined semi-autos with nice one piece stocks.

They got a bad rap as jammers. Jamming ocurred due to being dirty or having bent magazine lips. If kept clean and one didn't drop the magazine they were very reliable. Today, a lot of them have weakened extractor springs that cause them to jam. The case slips off the extractor before the ejector can kick the case out of the receiver. Replace the extractor spring and your good to go. I've replaced a half dozen of the extractor springs on 100's which cured their jamming. Bedding the action will significantily improve their accuracy. It has to be done in four steps. About five years ago, I posted the bedding process on this forum.

Last edited by wachtelhund1; April 3, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old April 3, 2013, 05:44 PM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, I have very little experience with Winchester's customer service, but I can tell you for sure that as of about a year ago, Winchester would still send you a new firing pin if you called in your serial number. I had a Win Model 100 that sat in my closet for about 20 years. I never did the recall repairs until I decided that it was time to trade it off. I just couldn't trade it away without making sure that a known issue had been fixed.
Old April 6, 2013, 05:21 AM   #16
Keg

I've seen a lot of Winchester model 100's..never a 358....Sounds awesome tho....Here are my 308 and 243 carbines....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.JPG (142.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005_1.JPG (145.2 KB, 49 views)