The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 30, 2013, 07:59 AM   #1
psychopuppy1

Rem 770

I just bought a REM 770 in 243, and I'm starting to question my purchase! It seems to be accurate enough, but my big concern is I cant cycle a round after shooting a round! It seems the bottom lug on the bolt makes contact with the next bullet in line. If I release the mag and let the front drop down .25" I can eject the spent round, push the mag back up and reload the next round!
Anybody have any dealings with this?
THX!
Old March 30, 2013, 09:40 AM   #2
roc1

They are not very well refined guns to put it nicely. They are no where near the Model 700 or model 7. If I were you I would trade it for one of the new Model 783 Remington just came out with still a bargain rifle but vastly superior to the 770. I would even try to get money back if you have not had it to long. The new Model 783 is a very nice bargain rifle Remington finally got it right on the lower end of the spectrum .I love my Remington's them and my Savages are king of hill in accuracy dept.
Good luck hope this helps a little
Roc1
Old March 30, 2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Ridge_Runner_5

I had one in .308. Same thing, could not feed from the magazine. I ended up just feeding rounds in through the ejection port, one at a time.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Cowboy_mo

ugh, send it back to Remington. I had one for 2 years in 30-06 and never had a single problem.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:34 PM   #5
psychopuppy1

Thats how I generaly do it when I'm hunting chucks, but was hoping to use it for deer too! Of course, one shot is all one should need! I usualy hunt with muzzle loader all deer season, so its not a new concept for me! Last season we could actualy use rifle in the southern teir, so I took out the .303 brit. I hit my buck in the chest and flipped him over backwards!
I might just keep it and go that route, was just hoping someone had a fix!
Old March 31, 2013, 03:25 PM   #6
dgludwig

You've already bought it so this isn't what you want to hear, but if you do a search on the Model 770, you won't find many people who have had a good experience with it. I'm more than a little surprised that Remington is still selling it. I think that your only sensible recourse is to return it to Remington for a fix. Maybe your dealer will ship it for you.
In any event, good luck in getting it to function correctly. Let us know how this turns out for you.
Old April 1, 2013, 08:06 PM   #7
mk8tim

Glad I read this. I have been toying with the idea of buying the 770 though my better judgement said no. I just sold my 710 for ten bucks more than I paid and want a 7 mm magnum. Wally world has the 770 in that and the camo 700. The 770 is only 300 while the camo 700 is over 5. Guess I'll buy the 700
Old April 1, 2013, 09:39 PM   #8
tAKticool

The 770 is quite literally the stuff that doesn't make the cut for the 700s. The problem is, unlike say the wine business where they take the stuff that MIGHT JUST NOT be 100% up to par for the $50 / $100 / $1000 et.c bottle, and label it different name and charge $8.99 AND YOU GET AN AMAZING bottle for the cheap, in this case we are talking about potentially broken or damaged or literally not 100% good to go parts/worksmanship/finishing etc.

As my esteemed colleague above me noted, it probably isn't what you want to hear but in this very forum and many others the same stuff over and over gets posted about the 770. I remember thinking about it myself in early 2010, the cheapest 700 at Dicks Sporting Goods was the 700 SPS Varmint for $500, for like $339.99 they had a 770 that looked EXACTLY LIKE the SPS Varmint, also came with a scope and the military-looking green stock, just a little smaller. EVERYONE TOLD ME NOOOOOOO don't do it, I am glad i didn't because I read nothing but things posted similar to your own experience and much worse..... And the money I spent last fall on my new 700 "AAC-SD" is money well spent IMHO.

Besides they just came out with the new rifle, the 783, which is supposed to be less than the cost of a 700 but close close close to a 770 and newer technology anyway?
Old April 2, 2013, 06:33 AM   #9
roc1

The 783 is a nice looking rifle a kinda cross between the Savage and the Ruger American. Read great reviews on it and handled one at Gander. Felt like a decent rifle not junk.Priced at $429 good value. It comes in 7 mag 30-06 308 and 270 for now.
Roc1
Old April 2, 2013, 06:51 AM   #10
Saltydog235

The 770 isn't parts that didn't make the cut for a 700, it's not cheap wine from a batch of good, or anything of the sort. The 770 is a POS that Remington put out to fill a niche market for the bargain minded and occasional deer hunter. It's geared toward being sold to people who don't do their research and want nothing but cheap, it looks similar to the more expensive version, therefore it can't be that different.

My advice, sell it to someone else learning and looking and let them learn the lesson that you just did.