The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 19, 2013, 05:28 PM   #1
BOBA FETT

worst ammo ever ???

i would have to say TULA....
Old March 19, 2013, 05:36 PM   #2
9mm

+2 for Tula I had about 3ftfires in one box.
Old March 19, 2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Webleymkv

Worst ammo I've had the displeasure of using was surplus 6.5 Carcano, less than half of it went off, and most of what did hangfired or needed a second hit. I've actually had decent luck with Tula as it works fine in my CZ-75, S&W 1911, and Saiga .223 as well as in my dad's CZ-97, IJ-70 Makarovs (one in .380 and the other in 9x18), and his Mak-90. The only gun we've found so far that doesn't seem to like Tula is dad's S&W 5906 (failures to feed).
Old March 19, 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
BOBA FETT

i used tula a few times in my .30 carbine blackhawk..it went bang every time but the cases expanded in the chambers and it was a bitch to get them out.im pretty sure it was the coating on the steel cases causing the problem...
Old March 19, 2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Webleymkv

Quote:
i used tula a few times in my .30 carbine blackhawk..it went bang every time but the cases expanded in the cylinders and it was a bitch to get them out.im pretty sure it was the coating on the steel cases causing the problem...
Actually, my money would be on powder residue. Most .30 Carbine ammo is intended for rifle-length barrels and thus uses slower powder than most handgun ammo. Between the slower-burning powder and the elasticity (or rather lack thereof) of steel cases, my guess is that you probably had some excessive unburnt powder in your chambers which caused the sticky extraction. I've never used Tula in a revolver myself because I never see it in the revolver calibers I shoot (.38 S&W, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, and .44 Magnum) and because I usually shoot handloads in my revolvers.
Old March 19, 2013, 06:12 PM   #6
BOBA FETT

i have used all types of 30 carbine ammo and tula is the only type that ever stuck in the cylinders...
Old March 19, 2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Ferretboy

I have used Tula in a Hi-Point .40 S&W, My XDm in .45 ACP, and in my WASR 10/63 all without a single issue. Havnt had the chance to find any for a revolver yet.
Old March 19, 2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Webleymkv

Quote:
i have used all types of 30 carbine ammo and tula is the only type that ever stuck in the cylinders...
Did any of the other types use steel cases? Like I said before, the inelasticity of Tula's steel cases might allow unburnt powder to blow back around the case when the gun is fired. Brass cases expand and seal the chamber better so they'd be less likely to foul the chambers as badly. The combination of powder blowback from the steel cases and the slow-burning powder used in the .30 Carbine cartridge likely worked in combination to cause your problem. Changing either variable by either using brass cases or faster-burning powder would probably alleviate the issue. This would explain why, if none of the other ammo you tried had steel cases, that you only experienced the issue with Tula.
Old March 19, 2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Rembrandt

Old March 19, 2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

American (the brand name) in .45 Auto (head stamp AMERC).

So out of spec I was fully prepared to sell a brand new 1911 at a loss because it wouldn't function. Mercifully, I stumbled across an article that told how bad AMERC was. I bought a box of Winchester USA and all the "issues" disappeared.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:57 PM   #11
Dragline45

Remington .22 Thunderbolts. What a load of garbage they are. Never seen ammo burn so dirty or function so bad. Multiple FTF's and for some reason when cycling them in my Henry lever action they would hang up and require extra force to feed. Never a problem with anything else.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:02 AM   #12
Wyosmith

Tula without a doubt.
Old March 20, 2013, 02:13 AM   #13
Aaron1100us

Re: worst ammo ever ???

Tula. Just had a squib last Friday. Could have blown up my AK if I wouldn't have caught it.

Too bad I can't find anything else online for a reasonable price and all the lgs only carry Tula and some times Wolf.
Old March 20, 2013, 02:15 AM   #14
JimmyR

My guns have been good to me, and never really given me any issues with any ammo. Haven't found any that won't go bang, and I tend to use the cheap stuff for target ammo...
Old March 20, 2013, 02:56 AM   #15
TAKtical

Blazer aluminum case. Ive used thousands of rounds of Tula 9mm, 45acp, and 7.62x39. Never had an issue. Blazer aluminum case is by far the worst ive used. Just horrible accuracy. Expanding casings, ftf, 45acp bullets being pushed WAY back into the case just from one chambering. I was getting 18 inch groups at 25 yards, switched to WWB and started getting 6 inch groups with the same pistol.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 20, 2013, 07:21 AM   #16
2ndsojourn

I've never used Tula, but thanks to you guys I won't. Brown Bear (Russian) gave me problems - stovepipes, FTF, FTE - so never again.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:30 AM   #17
adamc

+1 on the 22lr thunderbolts.. dirty filthy stuff

Cabelas Herters aluminum case is pretty bad..super dirty
I have no idea what the blue bullet actually is...
I think it has about 2 flakes of powder in them...
Win White box kicks like a mule compared to it.
fortunately only a few ftf, fte on my guns

I bought this stuff (only thing available) and due to lack of primers, bullets, powders, is non re loadable , so I didn't have to catch the brass or worry about it.

I bought some steel case TULA for the same reasons, it is junk, and filthy
but funny NO ftf, fte go figure

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old March 20, 2013, 08:01 PM   #18
Ignition Override

In my ancient Savage .22 rifle, Thunderbolt-even worse than the cheap green/yellow box bricks. It causes gas blow backs every second or third round.

In stark contrast, in my newer Romanian M-69 Trainer all of this ammo is fine.

The point is that we have ammo, and were not oblivious to multiple indications that the Next consumer panic is always just around the corner.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 21, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:20 PM   #19
Mike38

Remington Thunderbolt .22’s. Absolutely the worse ammo I’ve ever bought. I’m surprised Remington allows their name on the stuff. It’s embarrassing.

As for Tula, I’m on my second case of 1000 in .223. Yea it’s steel cased. Yea it’s dirty. Yea it smells funny. But, it has gone bang, feed and extracted flawlessly each and every time. Granted, I’m shooting it in a Saiga (AK platform rifle) and AK’s eat just about anything.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:49 PM   #20
BornToLooze

I don't know why y'all are saying Remington Thunderbolts, that's all I ever shot when I was little and out of the thousands of rounds I shot I never had a problem with it. But I say Tula, case is still stuck in the cylinder on my revolver and I still can't get it out.
Old March 20, 2013, 10:55 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

American, also branded Amerc or ADE. I've shot a lot of Tula ammo and while it's not top quality, Amerc made it look awesome in comparison.

I've actually had really good luck with Blazer Aluminum and consider it to be a cut above the typical practice ammo out there. It is more likely to set back than brass cased ammo, in my experience, but I've never had that become an issue except when a round was rechambered.
Old March 20, 2013, 11:18 PM   #22
Dragline45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa
I've actually had really good luck with Blazer Aluminum and consider it to be a cut above the typical practice ammo out there. It is more likely to set back than brass cased ammo, in my experience, but I've never had that become an issue except when a round was rechambered.
+1. You can actually get Blazer with Speer Gold Dot bullets loaded to the exact specs as Speer does in 50rd boxes for about the same that Speer charges for 20rd boxes. Only downside is the aluminum cases, and as JohnKSa mentioned they are more susceptible to bullet setback. But seeing as I almost never rechamber practice ammo it's no big deal.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:21 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

Remington and Federal bulk pack .22 LR - especially the Walmart-specific versions.

Tula is low quality, for sure; but it isn't the worst.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:29 PM   #24
TheFlash

+1 to the Blazer aluminum cased ammo.
Had some in 45LC with the JHP bullets. Would not function in my Ruger Vaquero and kept locking up the cylinder.
After checking the rim dimensions, I could visibly see the significant variations in rim thickness. Some so thick that it was the rim which was binding up my Vaquero's action.
Never had any issues with any other ammo in that Vaquero.

But, I've never used Tula ammo in anything either...
Old March 21, 2013, 02:31 PM   #25
KMAX

MFS

I would say MFS. I bought one box of fifty .380acp a few years ago. I had 18 misfires and 2 fail to feed. I never bought any more of this junk. I don't know if if is even still available. I bought it during an ammo shortage, 2008 I think. Something is better than nothing usually, not so in this case.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!