The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 16, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1
FiveG

Narrow Gun Safe

I am struggling to find a gun safe that will fit through a 22-inch door frame to be used in a closet under a stairwell. Looking for one to use for my long guns and hand guns. Height and depth can be as big as possible; it's width that's the limited factor.

Seen lots at 24 inches, but 22 or less is tought.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:23 PM   #2
leadchucker

Two possibilities.

Find a safe with a total depth of 22 inches (knobs, handles, hinges and all), slide it in sideways, and turn it around... if there is room to do so.

Removing the door frame is usually not too difficult to do. The rough opening of that door is likely 24 inches wide.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Doyle

If the inside cavity is larger than that 22" door frame, just take the frame off and put it back on when the safe is inside. Removing a door frame is REALLY easy. Take the door off of the hinges, remove the trim molding, then you'll see how the inner frame is nailed to the rough frame. Remove the inner frame and you'll have about a 24" opening. Putting it back will require a little paint to cover the new nail holes.
Old March 19, 2013, 07:05 AM   #4
DarcyPotter1

dry wall mud is cheap. when I put my gun safe in it was to wide and that was not a isue at all i bought a box of premixed mud removed the door frame to the next stud and installed the safe then fixed the wall . But my son says moves like that are why I am single. Heck the safe was on sale what can I say