The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 11, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1
jlb43

Paterson Hybrid ?

I acquired another Paterson a short while ago. It is in a cased set (french fitted) and pretty nice if I do say so myself. I never took it out of the case until last night. The seller called it a 2nd generation Paterson but I don't think they ever made one so I assumed it was a Uberti. I have a real 3rd gen and the finish and detail are considerably nicer than this gun. It looks more like a production Uberti. However there are a couple of points that are confusing.

This gun has the same barrel engraving as the Colt but it is turned 180° from the Colt. The cylinder is stamped COLT. The Colt cylinder is stamped Colts Patent and my Uberti is not stamped anything other than the standard roll engraving. There are no Uberti markings but there is "cal 36 black powder only" under the LL. My Uberti is stamped differently and includes the words "Uberti Italy". The frame is stamped with the obligatory date codes (BA 1991) and proof marks. The Colt is not. The Colts have no case hardening anywhere on them and this gun does.

The thing that puzzles me most is the serial number. It is on the grip strap which is normal for a Uberti, but it is only three digits. #355 I have two Uberti Pats and their serial numbers are longer and preceded by a letter. Did Uberti ever have that small of a serial number? I have a couple of ideas as to this gun's origins, most likely being it was "made" by a gunsmith somewhere. Any of you BP veterans have some ideas?
Old March 12, 2013, 06:39 AM   #2
Newton24b

could we have complete photos of it? i have a funny feeling on this.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Noz

If it has a date block it is an Italian gun.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:55 AM   #4
jlb43

I think I found the answer on Gunbroker this morning. There is a cased set of a pair of the same gun and both have low serial numbers and Colt barrel markings. The seller says they are Ubertis.

I did not think Uberti ever used a Sam Colt barrel marking, I was not aware that the early Uberti Pattersons (if you consider 1991 early) used low serial numbers without a letter prefix. My other Uberti with LL is BP (2001) and has a serial number A25XXX. Ten years 25000+ guns. I learn something new every day.

Thanks for your responses.