The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Hunter13

Please help with mossberg maverick 88

This is my first time on here and I hope I'm posting right....anyway....i just bought a used mossberg maverick 88 from the pawn shop and about every other time I shoot it, when I cycle the shell it drops out of the bottom instead of going in the chamber...i don't think I would have any kind of warranty with it so I'm going to have to try to fix it myself...can anyone please offer help with this issue?
Old March 11, 2013, 07:12 PM   #2
patriotic

Sounds like you are missing what is called an "elevator" or that it is installed incorrectly. Do a Google on Mossberg Mavrick 88 owners manual and look at page 12.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Hunter13

Thank you for your help...
Old March 11, 2013, 08:14 PM   #4
oldgunsmith

That's usually caused by a cartridge stop or interrupter not doing it's duty. Letting a shell out of the magazine at the wrong time. They can either not let one out at all, drop one on the ground and feed another one into the chamber at the same time, or drop one and not feed one. If you look close you can see that one is just forward of the other. The rearmost one lets one shell out at just the right time while the forward one holds the rest in the magazine. If you watch closely as you feed DUMMY AMMO through it you can see which is which and which isn't doing it's duty.