The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2013, 04:31 PM   #1
adamc

cast Lead bullets for Beretta 92FS ? FN FNX45 ?

cast Lead bullets for Beretta 92FS ?

cast Lead bullets for FN FNX45 ?

Our range is requesting cast bullets for plate shoots and spinning metal targets,
to cut down on ricochets.

anybody do this ?

Favorite bullet or load ?

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old March 6, 2013, 04:41 PM   #2
armoredman

9mm I use the Lee 125 grain single lube groove cast bullets with tumble lube over 6.5grains of Accurate Arms #7 with excellent results at a COAL of 1.090. Your mileage may vary, of course. Hope that helps - I don't own a 45ACP, so I have no idea what bullets/loads to use.
Did you plan on casting your own or buying them?
Old March 6, 2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Ranger185

I am too using the Lee 125 grain RFP bullet tumble lubed for my 9mm and 38Special sizing the 38s to 358 and the 9s to 356 and both over 4.1 grains of 231. For the 45ACP I have the Lee 230 grain RN sized to 452 over 5.3 grains of 231.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:27 PM   #4
serf 'rett

Been trying some MO Bullets in my Springfield XDm. The first 498 are stuck somewhere in a berm. Liked them enough to order 2K more 124 smallball (different profile with these so pay close attention to COAL).

Also have some 45 ACP bullets waiting in the wings for a new pistol to arrive.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Conventional Pistol match shooters run lead through the 92 all the time. In theory, any barrel that does not have polygonal rifling can shoot cast bullets, and some argue they can make a polygon shoot lead, but I don't see a reason to fight what has been a known issue for some.

As far as the FNX45, the only issue I am aware of is several people reporting a raised dimpling in the rifling over the rolled FP marking on the underside of the barrel. Such dimpling won't normally bother a jacketed bullet much as they are pretty springy compared to lead. But lead bullets can be unbalanced by barrel constrictions, limiting accuracy, or such constrictions can cause lead fouling to accumulate beyond them down the bore. Frankly, if I had such a dimple I would contact the factory, asking to return it. If they refused to correct it (always possible as, for liability reasons, most firearms makers say not to use handloads and there isn't any commercial lead from large manufacturers out there), I would firelap it out or buy an aftermarket barrel without such a stamping and use an on line auction to sell the original.

Regarding the 9mm bullets, if you intend to cast your own for plate shooting, I would look at the Lee TL356-124-2R. It's a tumble lube round nose design that should feed well and should not normally need sizing unless your chamber finds them too tight when unsized. In general, bullets fired as-cast rather than sized tend to cause less leading. I've seen a metallurgical explanation before, but don't recall the details. But I can say I've had superb accuracy from bullets cast in the Lee 6-Cavity pro-grade molds fired as-cast. In the case of their .38 Wadcutter mold, its bullets have beaten every make of commercial match ammo I've tried in my Smith K-38 target model revolver, cutting group size almost in half. It's kind of astonishing, but it works. I fire them unsized. I also own several of their 6 cavity molds for the .45 Auto. They haven't shown so dramatic an accuracy effect there, but are inferior to none, and take less effort to lube than a conventional design.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 6, 2013, 05:41 PM   #6
armoredman

I used the 124 tumble lube bullets as well, and yes, I use the Lee push through sizers for both 356, (9mm), and .358, (38Spl), for good results - the 125 seems to work better for me, and it can be tumble lubed as well. Remember, when you buy a push through sizer you get a free bottle of the Lee Liquid Alox lube, too. Works well, and very easy for the newbies like me. I just recently got into hard lubing.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:19 PM   #7
adamc

I was planning to buy bullets. i don't have the time , means or effort to cast my own.

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old March 6, 2013, 07:17 PM   #8

I only load JHPs in 9mm, but in .45 ACP I use the Missouri Bullet Co. 200 gr. SWC. It's an excellent bullet and for light loads I use WST. A start charge of 4.4 grains will cycle your pistol and is very soft shooting. It burns much cleaner than W231. A powder that's like 231 but with better performance and cleaner burn is Ramshot ZIP. It is my favorite all-around .45 ACP powder. It will give you more velocity with jacketed bullets than W231 and can be loaded down for soft shooting LSWCs.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:27 PM   #9
fishbones182

Quote:
Conventional Pistol match shooters run lead through the 92 all the time. In theory, any barrel that does not have polygonal rifling can shoot cast bullets, and some argue they can make a polygon shoot lead, but I don't see a reason to fight what has been a known issue for some.
I use 125 grain lead round nose over 3.5 grains of tight group for my gun. I have shot thousands of rounds of cast through my polygon rifled guns and never an issue here. But then again after every range trip all of my guns get cleaned like new. I never had an issue at all. One of my Glocks have over 2k of lead through it and still shootn and working like new. Just like standard rifiling i think it comes down to bullet fit and lube.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:33 PM   #10
YARDDOG(1)

I cast as well.. I was given about 300 lbs of lead so the pot a a few molds & other stuff was worth it to me ; ) PS I use the Lee TL124-356 TC
Y/D
Old March 6, 2013, 08:00 PM   #11
BoogieMan

My buddy and I went into reloading together. He shoots 92fs and I shoot a 1911. Same load seems to work well in both.
125gr LRN from Midatlantic
4.2gr of HP38
1.125 oal
Check for yourself. Its from the Lee insert that comes with the 9mm dies.
Both guns cycle good and group better than I do.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown