The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 3, 2013, 01:39 PM   #1
led0321

Lonewolf barrels

I am thinking about getting a drop in barrel for my Glock 23. Who has gotten one from them and are they as good as people say?

Thanks
Old March 3, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Gaerek

What's your reason for wanting it? Do you want a 9mm conversion barrel? Do you want to shoot lead reloads? Do you want a .357 SIG barrel? Are you looking at getting a can for your gun (and need a threaded barrel)? If it's yes to any of those questions, then Lone Wolf barrels are fine and work very well. If it's no to all of those, then your stock barrel will perform just as well. Unless you've somehow severely damaged your barrel.

Some people will claim lone wolf barrels are more accurate. I don't think that's the case. At best, they're just as accurate as the OEM barrel.
Old March 3, 2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Lonewolf barrels

I have 1, had another for awhile. Both in 357sig.
They seem like fine barrels but nothing special. The chambers are tighter than the stock barrel but the unsupported area near the feed ramp is larger. They seem to almost always have tighter than stock chambers but the feed ramp intrusion varies by cartridge. Since the stock barrels also vary by cartridge but even more by generation, its hard to know if the LW will be better without specifics.
Old March 3, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
led0321

Re: Lonewolf barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaerek View Post
What's your reason for wanting it? Do you want a 9mm conversion barrel? Do you want to shoot lead reloads? Do you want a .357 SIG barrel? Are you looking at getting a can for your gun (and need a threaded barrel)? If it's yes to any of those questions, then Lone Wolf barrels are fine and work very well. If it's no to all of those, then your stock barrel will perform just as well. Unless you've somehow severely damaged your barrel.

Some people will claim lone wolf barrels are more accurate. I don't think that's the case. At best, they're just as accurate as the OEM barrel.
They claim to have fully supported chambers. Something that appeals to me as a reloader
Old March 3, 2013, 05:14 PM   #5
TMD

Quote:
They claim to have fully supported chambers. Something that appeals to me as a reloader
Unless you have a first generation .40 its a non issue.

Now back to your question. I have a 9mm conversion barrel for my G35. Works just fine and have had no issues with it what so ever.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:52 PM   #6
BuckRub

my son had a 357 sig for his glock 23. It did have a tighter chamber than the glock. But all in all it was OK, But id prefer to stay with the 40 cal myself.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Dan-O

Used to be a fan of Lonewolf, but nowadays, I would go with a Storm Lake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgAL6dmrcHM
Old March 3, 2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Sarge

Here you go, LED. Barrel was ordered in 2009.

Lone Wolf Distributor's Glock 23 Barrel
Old March 3, 2013, 08:35 PM   #9
ET.

I own 1 Lone Wolf barrel & 3 Storm Lake barrels. I haven't had any problems with the Lone Wolf barrel, but I just like the Storm Lake barrels better. I needed a conversion barrel for my Gen4 Glock 23 a few weeks ago. I ordered another Storm Lake barrel. I can't put my finger on it, but maybe it's that gawd awful cartoon wolf etched on the hood that turns me off to LW barrels.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:55 PM   #10
led0321

Re: Lonewolf barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD View Post
Unless you have a first generation .40 its a non issue.

Now back to your question. I have a 9mm conversion barrel for my G35. Works just fine and have had no issues with it what so ever.

Mine is a third...thanks for the info
Old March 4, 2013, 12:23 AM   #11
ClydeFrog

Glocking in the free world....

I do not own any Glock pistols at this time; 03/2013, but I may buy a Lipsey's FDE limited ed Glock or a Glock 30S .45acp when the US panic attack slows down.
There are a few high end after-market barrels for Glock pistols; Bar-Sto(Irv Stone), KKM, Jarvis, Storm Lake, LoneWolf Dist.

For custom Glock work & parts, see: www.glockbooks.com www.customizeyourglock.com www.glockworx.com www.glockstore.com www.glock.com www.lasermax.com www.trijicon.com .

ClydeFrog
Old March 4, 2013, 12:47 AM   #12
*NOVA*

The Lone Wolf barrel for my 29SF is longer than the original and ported, which does seem to help reduce muzzle flip and helps get back on target sooner. Chamber does provide tighter fit on the 10mm rounds than the original barrel. I have not seen a significant improvement in accuracy, but IMO it just looks cool.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:32 AM   #13
johnwilliamson062

Works great for me.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:08 AM   #14
Gaerek

You said you're a reloader...you can save money using non-jacketed lead bullets. You can't shoot those through your OEM barrel, but they'll work fine in a LW barrel. That is, if you can make up the $110 in what you shoot.

If you posted a question that was like, "I just got a Glock XX, what should upgrade first?" to um, another forum that focuses on Glocks, you would get flooded with answers that just say "upgrade" you OEM barrel to a LW barrel. The problem is, if you don't have a good reason to get another barrel (see my first post), the "upgrade" is really a waste of money. You won't see a performance upgrade, and even if you do, it won't be worth the $110. I'd rather have $110 worth of extra ammo.

Really, I thought the forum I mentioned above should really be called lonewolftalk.com, because if you don't have a lonewolf barrel, you're not a true Glocker, or something, according to them. Not to say LW doesn't make bad products, they do. I have a threaded barrel that I sometimes use and because I'd like to get a can eventually. Besides, they do look cool.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Uncle Malice

Quote:
you can save money using non-jacketed lead bullets. You can't shoot those through your OEM barrel, but they'll work fine in a LW barrel.
You *CAN* shoot lead bullets out of a Glock just fine... you just need to clean it more frequently to remove lead build up - but it's not like every magazine.

I have fired 200+ rounds of lead in both 9mm and .40 through factory barrels at a single range trip with little-to-no obvious signs of leading. If you're going out to spend a day at the range and shoot 1000 rounds through the gun without cleaning... that might be a problem. Shooting lead here and there is perfectly safe.

As for Lone Wolf barrels, I like them just fine. I prefer to pay the extra nominal fee to get the 'blind' markings on the barrel so you don't have the huge wolf on the top of the barrel hood. Additionally, I usually opt for the blackening of the barrel as well. Once that's done, the barrels are almost indistinguishable from a factory barrel by a casual glance. Although upon inspection, you'll see the barrel doesn't have the Glock markings.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:32 PM   #16
mrvco

I had a Wolf Barrel in my Gen3 Glock 35. It worked fine. It was only there because the fella I bought it from was a reloader. I'd only consider putting one in my Gen4 Glock 35 if I started reloading, otherwise I don't see any point in it.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:49 PM   #17
BuckRub

I agree. I don't see a point either.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Nanuk

I have 3 of them for 2 different Glocks to change caliber. I am very happy with them.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Gaerek

Quote:
You *CAN* shoot lead bullets out of a Glock just fine... you just need to clean it more frequently to remove lead build up - but it's not like every magazine.
This is true, but many people opt for LW Barrels just to avoid any issues, and any possible warranty problems (though I haven't seen anywhere, except Interweb "experts" who say lead cast bullets through your Glock will void the warranty).

Again, just like in my original post, there's no real reason to buy a LW barrel, unless one of the conditions in that post are met. OEM barrels perform just as well, if not better than LW barrels. And any difference will likely not be noticed by an end user.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Uncle Malice

Agreed. I only use them for caliber conversions, like 10mm->.40
Old March 9, 2013, 02:30 PM   #21
Tom B

If you want the best for accuracy get a KKM or Bar-Sto. I have tried them all.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:32 PM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

They're great. Lone Wolf, Bar-Sto, Storm Lake (I think it's called Storm Lake)..they're all good.

I personally had Lone Wolf in my old Glock 27 when I used to like .40 I made it into a 26 with that barrel conversion. Perfect. I just like my Glock's as factory as can be with an exception of night sights.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:51 AM   #23
Viper99

I have a 9mm conversion barrel for my Glock G27. It works great, no problems.
Old March 11, 2013, 05:07 PM   #24
stihlorbust

I just bought a lone wolf for my gen4 G22, I reload and for that reason and the fact that there is such an ammo shortage, I may go to shooting cast. HOWEVER, what I really like is the fact that I DO NOT get "glocked" brass anymore from the factory loads. Reloads have never been a problem...NO bulges from reloads. So, now I shoot the "new" stuff with the lone wolf and then I have better brass for reloading. The six o'clock support is imo, better. I have to share brass with a Springfield and 3 Sig's , so I'm trying to make it easier on myself.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:21 PM   #25
triumph666

bought the extended ported barrel for my g22....works great....shoots better under rapid fire.....tighter chamber an such on it....but mostly i bought it so i could shoot lead bullets without fouling