The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 01:24 PM   #1
turbotype87

Ruger Alaskan

Hello All, I just purchased a new Ruger SuperRedhawk Alaskan with a 2 1/2'' barrel in 44 magnum. All i can say about this revolver is that it's a Beast. I have owned Rugers in the past but this is awesome to shoot. Tyhis gun can take anything you throw at it. I've fired a box of Buffalo Bore 340gr + P ammo without any problems. I was skeptical about buying it with the short barrel but the recoil wasn't bad at all with 180gr PMC ammo. The 340gr was alittle more than i expected but manageable.
Old March 12, 2013, 01:36 PM   #2
BarryLee

Quote:
The 340gr was alittle more than i expected but manageable.
Awesome, I have always wanted to get one, but everyone tells me how impractical they are. Who knows maybe I’ll consider one down the road, but got other priorities right now. Anyway, glad you like it and don’t hesitate to past a few pictures of it and that nasty ammo.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 12, 2013, 02:04 PM   #3
turbotype87

Ruger Alaskan

Well I hope you decide to get one because i know you'll be very happy you did. I was really surprised on how accurate it was at 20yards. The Buffalo Bore Ammo was cool to shoot. You really need to hold on to the revolver. I live in CT, and its getting hard to find these guns in our local gun stores. New it cost $849.00 not a bad price for one of these cannons. I'll try and get some video up next time i get to the range.
Old March 12, 2013, 02:10 PM   #4
wrm

Heh. I have a 454 Casull on order. That might tend to get... interesting.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Jbotto

I'm rather shy around heavy recoil, and didn't think the .454 version was all that bad. It's a Ruger, so they do have some serious weight tied into the revolver.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:05 PM   #6
kayakersteve

I want one too.....just can't justify the cost right now. I have the S&W 460V and love it. Can't have enough hand cannons!
Old March 12, 2013, 08:54 PM   #7
grdpounder

.454 Version

I have an Alaskan in .454 it is a blast to shoot (literately and figuratively) and get everyone's attention when you fire it out on the range. Here is a pic and a video of me firing 260 grain rounds last Aug.

http://s206.beta.photobucket.com/use...42057.mp4.html

I was only good for 15 rounds before my wrist started to feel the recoil.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:36 PM   #8
mquail

Quote:
Well I hope you decide to get one because i know you'll be very happy you did. I was really surprised on how accurate it was at 20yards
Try it at 100 yds. You will truly be surprised.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:22 AM   #9
22-rimfire

I am very interested in buying one in 480 Ruger this year. Want to get it before Ruger stops production again. I just figure they will meet demand and then stop production like they did last time around.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:18 AM   #10
ClydeFrog

Faster....

The only feature film I am aware of that has a Ruger AK snub is Faster with action star; Duane The Rock Johnson.
See www.imfdb.org .
I think Johnson's character packs the larger .454 Casull version not the .44magnum.

CF
Old March 13, 2013, 01:20 PM   #11
turbotype87

Alaskan

I had the Alaskan in 454 casull, I sold it awhile back. The ammo was alittle to expensive for me. Although the price for the 45colt ammo wasn't to bad. I missed it so much that i had to get another one. The 44mag version is fun to shoot and the ammo isn't as costly. This time around I will NOT sell this Alaskan. Now i am looking to buy a new Ruger Gunsite Rifle. Unfortunately there aren't many around here in CT. And when you do find one there alittle expensive now.
Old March 13, 2013, 02:02 PM   #12
colbad

I too have the same in .454 and it is an incredibly solid FA. I had some issues with the chambers being out of spec and the casings over expanding. I sent it back to Ruger and it was returned like a custom shop gun. Great customer service behind the product. The .454 is my AK fishing companion.
Old March 13, 2013, 03:07 PM   #13
tomrkba

Try Remington UMC 180 grain 44 Magnum. The fireball is amazing and the blast will move the targets at 21 feet.

You can shoot 45 Colt out of the Alaskans chambered in 454 Casull.
Old March 13, 2013, 03:17 PM   #14
x-five

I own 454 casull model, and I am very happy about it. It is the third most favourite revolver to me. The first is Smith & Wesson 500, the second is Taurus raging judge magnum.
Old March 15, 2013, 06:33 PM   #15
wyobohunter

Ruger Alaskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrm View Post
Heh. I have a 454 Casull on order. That might tend to get... interesting.
It is... Interestingly painful with full power 454 loads. Mine pushes a 335 gr Cast Performance at 1078 fps and a 360 gr CP at 1060 fps. It does hurt my wrist but I got it for fishing Alaska.

With heavy 45 "Ruger only" 45 Colt loads it isn't too bad so the 44 should be manageable.

44 special bullet weights/velocities should be a pleasure to shoot just like my light 45 Colt loads.

I rarely shoot the full power 454 loads. I have some fairly light kicking 45 Colt loads that hit the same POA at 15 yds. Those are the practice loads.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:19 PM   #16
wild cat mccane

The way this is all worded makes it sound like people expect the gun to be inaccurate...which I don't think any current gun really is...
Old March 15, 2013, 07:45 PM   #17
bowfishn

You can check out the review of the Buffalo Bore 340 gr 44 mag on Midway being shot from an Alaskan 44 Mag. one of the guys chronoed it at 1260 fps on average out of the 2.5" barrel, not bad at all.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/513...-header-513011

I would like one in the 44 mag as well, would go well with my SRH 44 mag 9.5" barrel that I use for Deer hunting.
Old March 15, 2013, 08:38 PM   #18
kutz

My .44 Alaskan is a real gun, a real blast,&real fun.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:03 PM   #19
22-rimfire

Yeah, it's a real gun. Kind of a brick on your belt, but I want one anyway. This might just be the kick in the butt to get back into reloading as I think 1050-1100 fps 480 Ruger loads might be interesting and controllable. Time for a Diamond D chest rig!
Old March 15, 2013, 09:56 PM   #20
wyobohunter

Ruger Alaskan

I pack mine on a Simply Rugged pancake with a Chesty Puller chest rig while fishing or riding motorcycle/ranger. On a belt holster while hiking. Though it's no featherweight it is a heckuva lot better than the 500 S&W I got rid of to buy it.

That 500 S&W was so unwieldy you may as well have a rifle. The SRH Alaskan is a good balance of power and portability.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:14 AM   #21
ClydeFrog

CQB...

+ if you fire all the Ruger AK snub rounds, you can smack em in the face with it.

CF
Old March 19, 2013, 12:50 AM   #22
colbad

Failure to Fire

Had a FTF with Buffalo Bore ammo. This is what they sent me when I contacted them. Looks like there may be a design flaw in the gun.

FAILURES TO FIRE (FTF) OR “MIS-FIRES”

All too often, when pulling the trigger, the firing pin strikes and a deafening click emerges from your firearm. Few sounds are louder than hearing a “click” when you should have heard a boom/blast and felt recoil. After working with firearms all my adult life (40+ years at this writing) and being in the firearms industry, making millions of rounds of ammunition per year for the public, one of the most prevalent and misunderstood occurrences among the shooting public, are the actual causes of FTF’s.

Most shooters believe that when ammo fails to go bang, it is the fault of the ammo, after all, it was the ammo that failed to go bang and that very same gun has always gone bang before, so now that it made a click sound instead of a bang, ammo must be the culprit. Seems obvious, no? Well, the facts just are not so!

In relation to the above paragraph, let’s discuss firing mechanisms, better known as guns/firearms. Firearms have several moving parts that all have to be within a certain tolerance, working together, in a split second, to give a reliable firing pin/primer strike. Some firing systems are simple and others are complex, but all firing mechanisms are far more complex than ammo which consists of a stationary primer, seated into stationary brass, with stationary powder and a stationary bullet, seated within. Ammunition has no moving parts, unless it ignites. The ammunition is relying on the much more complex firing mechanism to ignite it.

After spending decades researching and learning the intricacies of FTF’s, I’ve discovered that although the ammo did not go bang, and it appears to be the fault of the ammo, in 98% of the cases, (98% is not an exaggeration) that is simply not true. The much more complex firing mechanism is normally the culprit.

Let’s look at some current and very commonly flawed firing systems.

1. Ruger Redhawk:

This is probably the most prevalently flawed firing system and generator of FTF’s currently on the market. All iterations of the Redhawk or Super Redhawk have the same hammer to frame to transfer bar problem. Anytime a transfer bar is being utilized, all other aspects of the firing mechanism must work very well to overcome the difficulties imposed by the transfer bar. The Redhawk is plagued with hammer to frame to transfer bar tolerance problems. While most Red hawks will fire most brands of primers most of the time, many Redhawks will FTF with at least one brand of primer, once in a while. Well, “once in a while” with one or two brands of commercial primers is a disaster waiting to happen, especially when the buyer of factory ammo, has no idea what brand of primer has been used to manufacture said ammo. Normally, when a Redhawk FTF’s, the hammer contacts the frame prematurely and thus insufficient energy impacts the transfer bar, because that energy went into the frame via the hammer to frame tolerance, or lack thereof. The simple solution is to remove enough (normally .020 inch) from the hammer face, where it contacts the frame. This allows the portion of the hammer that contacts the transfer bar, to hit the transfer bar more fully before contacting the frame, thus providing more strike energy to the firing pin, through the transfer bar. A story best illustrates how common this problem is with Red hawks. About five years ago, I purchased a new 4 inch Redhawk chambered in 44 mag. On rare occasion it would FTF with CCI # 350 primers, when I fired it in single action mode, but in double action mode, it would FTF much more often. (The CCI # 350 primer is made within industry standards, so don’t go blaming the primer) I took it to a local Missoula gun smith named Matt Brainard. (406-549-3249) When I walked into his shop with the new Redhawk in hand, Matt looked at it and with no input from me, said “having ignition problems”? That’s right, FTF’s are common enough with Redhawks, that Matt had a good idea why I brought the revolver in before I said anything. Matt machined roughly .020 inch from the hammer face, where it contacts the frame, allowing the hammer to impact the transfer bar with more force and that Redhawk has never had another FTF.

As if all the above tolerance problems with the Redhawks firing mechanism isn’t enough, Redhawks chambered in 454 Casull suffer from yet one more malady. 454 Casull ammo is made utilizing a small rifle primer. Yet Ruger makes the 454 versions of their Redhawk with the same diameter firing pin as the 44mag. and 45 colt chambered versions and 44 mag. and 45 colt ammo utilizes a large pistol primer. Small rifle primers, by design, require more strike energy or at least a more focused area of pin impact, than large pistol primers. So, when Ruger chose to use the larger diameter firing pin, to ignite the small rifle primer utilized in 454 Casull ammo, they handicapped the firing mechanism yet further. The larger diameter firing pin tends to cover too much surface area of the small primer and this big foot print spreads the pin-strike-energy outward too much, instead of inward, into the primer. The result is FTF’s with some brands of small rifle primers. Generally, the above discussed cure will solve this problem, but not always and enterprising and knowledgeable gunsmiths like Hamilton Bowen, sell a longer firing pin and heavier main spring for the Redhawk, which truly solves the problem. Gee, why would Hamilton Bowen have designed a longer firing pin and stronger main spring, if there was not a problem with the firing mechanism in the Redhawk?

Remember, we are discussing only the firing mechanism of all Redhawk iterations. Aside from problems with the Redhawks firing design, I love the Redhawk revolvers and I own several of them, including one standard Redhawk that was converted to 500 Linebaugh by Dave Clements, which also required modifications to the firing mechanism to be 100% reliable in double action mode.
Old March 19, 2013, 06:39 AM   #23
wyobohunter

Ruger Alaskan

I was unaware of that problem. My 454 has never failed to go bang but I've only put about 3-4 dozen 454 through it and a couple hundred or so 45 Colt. I have sent a customer service information request to Ruger just to get their side of the story.

Last edited by wyobohunter; March 19, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:16 AM   #24
colbad

I took a look at the Bowen Classic Arms website and they sell heavy replacement springs and a longer firing pin. Of course they will do a whole tune job also if you want to spent the $. I think I will keep the factory spring at this time but buy the longer firing pin and talk to my gun smith about shaving some off the hammer. Will need to consider the head space with a longer FP. Lots on this subject if you search the web.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:10 PM   #25
wyobohunter

Ruger Alaskan

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbad View Post
Had a FTF with Buffalo Bore ammo. This is what they sent me when I contacted them. Looks like there may be a design flaw in the gun.

FAILURES TO FIRE (FTF) OR “MIS-FIRES”

All too often, when pulling the trigger, the firing pin strikes and a deafening click emerges from your firearm...

...Let’s look at some current and very commonly flawed firing systems.

1. Ruger Redhawk:

This is probably the most prevalently flawed firing system and generator of FTF’s currently on the market. All iterations of the Redhawk or Super Redhawk have the same hammer to frame to transfer bar problem. Anytime a transfer bar is being utilized, all other aspects of the firing mechanism must work very well to overcome the difficulties imposed by the transfer bar. The Redhawk is plagued with hammer to frame to transfer bar tolerance problems. While most Red hawks will fire most brands of primers most of the time, many Redhawks will FTF with at...
I contacted Ruger about this...

My question -
According to Buffalo Bore ammunition the Redhawk and Super Redhawk have firing mechanism problems...
..."As if all the above tolerance problems with the Redhawks firing mechanism isn't enough, Redhawks chambered in 454 Casull suffer from yet one more malady. 454 Casull ammo is made utilizing a small rifle primer. Yet Ruger makes the 454 versions of their Redhawk with the same diameter firing pin as the 44mag."..
Should I be concerned that my 454 SRH AK might not go bang when I really need it

Response from Ruger:

"Buffalo Bore is a foreign ammo, please be advised that we do not recommend the use of imported ammunition, as it may be corrosive to your rifle. The foreign surplus ammunition may also cause the gun to misfire or mis-feed and in extreme cases can cause the firing pin to break. Thank you for your email."

What the? They did not even attempt to answer my question. I didn't go into the hammer to frame tolerance question in depth because I thought maybe it was common enough knowledge that they would see where I was going. Should I expect them to read for general content? They just bad mouthed Buffalo Bore. Even if what they say about Buffalo Bore is true it seems irrelevant to the question.

One of four things:

1-Buffalo Bore ammunition had a bad primer (or more?... Poster didn't say how many FTF) and excused it with a very elaborate but untrue explanation shifting blame to Ruger.

2-Ruger has some tolerance issues and doesn't realize it yet.
It happens that a bunch of folks use Buffalo bore and expect a 100% bang for their buck so are more apt to complain.

3-Ruger has tolerance issues and finds it easier to pick on Buffalo Bore than to correct the problem.

4- Ruger has tolerance issues or Buffalo bore had bad primer/s and I didn't provide enough detail when I contacted Ruger.

I've always heard Ruger customer service is top notch. I've only owned four Ruger products and have never dealt with their customer service as my products have been flawless.

Thoughts?

Last edited by wyobohunter; March 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM.