The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Cpack1420

Torn between 3 9mm ??

So after a trip to my local gun shop . I'm just not sure which to chose ?? Glock 19 gen 4 , m&p 9c , and the walther ppq . I'm basically looking for a multi use home defense and a ccw . With that being said , looking for some insight to make my best decision . Truth be told I was looking for a Springfield xdm 9 or the xd line sub compact . But after having that ppq in my hand and the glock 19's track recond . Not to mention the m&p felt great as well . What is one to due ? And no buying all three isn't a option . Haha
Old April 9, 2013, 11:27 PM   #2
kinoons

I could not be happier with my walther PPQ. Best polymer pistol I've ever fired.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:30 PM   #3
Mausermolt

i like the feel of the M n' P and The XDM the best XD, taking the cake. i have only shot the glock, XDM personally. im not a huge Wather and Glock guy myself. not to say they aren't bad guns, just not my forte. the XD's have a superb track record, and the M n' P's i really dont hear much about these days...so that may be something in itself
Old April 9, 2013, 11:35 PM   #4
blackamos

Glock 19 gets my vote.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Cpack1420

The walther felt the best out of all 3 hands down . The glock came with 3 mags always a plus . The guy who helped me was kinda steering me away from the m n p . Maybe there is a reason . Maybe a good nights sleep and less youtube videos on comparing the now 3 lol thanks guys
Old April 9, 2013, 11:43 PM   #6
LockedBreech

The G19 Gen 4 fits my hand like no other pistol I have ever held except my PX4 and the Sig 229. Perfectly molded to me. Unfortunately, it's also the Gen 4 most plagued with issues, which is why I don't yet own one.

The PPQ gets pretty much universal accolades. I'm not a fan of the looks, but if it shoots like it has a reputation for shooting, and reliably, that's a pretty minor concern.

I don't care for the feel of the compact M&Ps, but the quality is unquestionable.

I'm assuming all 3 are the same comfort level in your hand?
Old April 9, 2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Mr Budha

G19 has my vote. Love my Gen4
Old April 9, 2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Cpack1420

Walther fit the best followed by the m&p the glock fit pretty well to . You hit the nail on the head I to am worried about the plagued gen 4 . Saw a ton of videos on the problems . Like the discharge problem . Who wants to be dodging shells while defending themselves . So many people say glock . I'm really leaning to walther . Not sure . All 3 were priced very reasonably
Old April 9, 2013, 11:57 PM   #9
TxFlyFish

Glock 19 over PPQ, in just about every aspect except mechanical accuracy...in my humble opinion.

Also someone will mention CZ in the next 5 posts.
Old April 10, 2013, 01:24 AM   #10
Retread7

NPOA

Natural point of aim sold me on my Glock 19 (gen 3) when I went in to buy an M&P. With me the G19 aim was right on, all the others were low.
Old April 10, 2013, 01:27 AM   #11
38superhero

G19...FTW
Old April 10, 2013, 01:39 AM   #12
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFlyFish
Also someone will mention CZ in the next 5 posts.
Ok, if you're gonna ask so nicely.

OP, of the three you mentioned, I would personally go after the Walther, mostly from what I have heard from other users, and from your own report that it "felt" right.

If you're set on polymer, that's fine, but if you want to look at a steel gun, a CZ75 is a mighty fine weapon, and it's narrow frame makes it very easy to conceal. The weight is very doable with a quality belt and a decent holster. That's why I picked my CZ75 over the M&P, PX4, XD, and SR9 when shopping for my first 9mm. Since then, I've tried a Sig 250, Ruger P95, and Beretta PX4. The Beretta is the only one that hasn't found a new home by now. The CZ has grown on me, and every time I pick it up I feel the same sense of "rightness" that I felt the day I bought it.
Old April 10, 2013, 02:36 AM   #13

Buy the M&P. USA
Old April 10, 2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Swampman1

Quote:
Unfortunately, it's also the Gen 4 most plagued with issues
I think "plagued with issues" is a bit overstated. How about listing all these issues? My G19 gen 4 performs flawlessly. No "issues". However, for the OP, dont dismiss the Springfield XDm-9 with 19 rd cap magazine. I may pick one up this weekend.
Old April 10, 2013, 07:39 AM   #15
odugrad

As mentioned above, don't dismiss the XDM. It is the best polymer framed handgun I've tried. My wife has the M&P and keeps coming back to the XDM. I have heard lots of complaints about the Gen4 G19s. I have no experience with the PPQ other than holding it.

With the XDM, you're getting super reliability, accuracy, durability, ease of disassembly/cleaning, paddle holster, mag loader, mag holster, several backstraps, etc.
Old April 10, 2013, 11:23 AM   #16
Roland Thunder

Walther PPQ, definitely. I have one and I've shot the G19 and the M&P 9 and I wouldn't trade my PPQ for either of them.
Old April 10, 2013, 12:25 PM   #17
ShipWreck

Buy all 3 - problem solved!

Old April 10, 2013, 01:42 PM   #18
Tactical Jackalope

Have/had all 3

Current CCW. Glock 19, on me right now. Love it.

M&P, in my safe. Love it. Haven't shot it enough (500rds) to carry it and I'm happy with my CCW anyways.

PPQ, had it. Gave it to my best friend as a gift. His first gun. Did I like it? Yes. Just didn't see what all the hype was about. Ergonomics are awesome. Closest thing to Hk I can think of for just a little over Glock price (at least here in Miami, I paid $650 for that PPQ) Just didn't see what the hype was about.

So Glock, reputably awesome. Parts are everywhere. Glock armorers are everywhere. Huge aftermarket amount of stuff. Holsters, sights, add ons, etc. (non of which I use, my preference)

M&P 9? 'Merica..also awesome. Hasn't been around as long. It's the Sigma's son Leonidas. Great also.

I said about all I thought about the PPQ already, minus the fact that they barely have anything for it aftermarket wise -_-

Choose wisely!
Old April 10, 2013, 01:50 PM   #19
MLeake

I have owned Glocks (21, 30), a PPQ, and an M&P9c.

I don't have any of them, anymore.

Of the three (the 19 is slightly larger than the 30), the M&P9c would be the easiest to carry concealed; the PPQ would have the best trigger and ergonomics, but would be on the large side for concealment and it lacks good aftermarket support); the G19 would fall in the middle for size, have a better trigger than the stock M&P9c trigger, but would otherwise have the worst ergonomics (for me) of the three.

Since the OP did not ask for other suggestions, I won't make any.
Old April 10, 2013, 03:57 PM   #20
mrvco

Find a range where you can rent and shoot each of them. Those are all fine guns, but it is really going to come down to personal preference.

That being said...

My vote goes for the gen4 Glock. I own a gen4 17 and it has been flawless.
Old April 10, 2013, 04:04 PM   #21
redhologram

Glock 19 gen 4 gets my vote. Haven't had a single issue with it and it's the one I have the most rounds through. It's just dependable and reliable.
Old April 10, 2013, 04:18 PM   #22
KCampbell

Re: Torn between 3 9mm ??

The Gen 419 or the M&Pc get my vote I have both but I lean more towards the M&Pc you mentioned. I really like the ergonomics of the M&P line alot they just feel right to me.Never owned a Walther.I should also say I had the ejector issues with the Gen 4 but Glock sent me the new ejector and spring and I installed them and it felt like a different(better)gun.Never another issue with it.

Last edited by KCampbell; April 10, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old April 10, 2013, 06:00 PM   #23
LockedBreech

Torn between 3 9mm ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampman1 View Post
I think "plagued with issues" is a bit overstated. How about listing all these issues? My G19 gen 4 performs flawlessly. No "issues". However, for the OP, dont dismiss the Springfield XDm-9 with 19 rd cap magazine. I may pick one up this weekend.
I don't feel like listing one of the most common firearms with persistent issues over the last two years. One google search on G19 Gen 4 ejection issues will get you hundreds, maybe thousands of anecdotes.

They may have addressed the issues, but they were so well known, mostly among the 17 and 19, that even Glock started issuing replacement recoil spring assemblies. The Gen 4 extractor and RSA issues were so prevalent they got mention in gun magazines, which normally do nothing but praise.

Again, I love how the pistol feels. I'm just wary of it and will probably wait another year before I have faith in all the issues being resolved.
Old April 10, 2013, 07:54 PM   #24
blackamos

They still make the Gen 3 Glock 19. I just picked one up a few weeks ago.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:57 PM   #25
whip1

3 months ago, I bought a Gen 3 G19. I couldn't be happier with it.

Tags
glock 19 gen 4 , m&p 9c , walther ppq