The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 28, 2013, 06:27 PM   #1
tahunua001

difference between a steyr 95 and 95/34?

hey all, I have been fighting the want for one of these for a long time but over time through a series of trades I have accumulated enblocs, loaded ammo and reloading components for these particular rifles. just a quick question regarding two models that JGsales.com offers: one is the steyr 95, the other a steyr 95/34.

both are the same price, both look identical to the naked eye. what's the difference to the uninitiated?
Old February 28, 2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Scorch

Steyr 95/34 was basically a 1934 rebuild of the Steyr 1895 rifle shortened to carbine length, but retaining the bayonet lug and stacking hooks. It will be very similar to a 95 carbine in all other respects.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:17 PM   #3
mapsjanhere

what he said, the original carbines were made for cavalry, artillery etc, and as such did not need the close combat features.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:15 PM   #4
TB9

m95

hi the difference in hte front sights is on a carbine the front sight base is mounted directly to the barrell and on the cut down rifles the front is mounted on a ring that is then placed on the barrel. HTH
Old March 1, 2013, 04:06 PM   #5
SIGSHR

Wouild a Steyr 95/34 have been converted to 8x56R?
Old March 1, 2013, 05:12 PM   #6
tahunua001

jgsales now only list the 95/34, 95 carbines must be out of stock. both were listed as 8x56R
Old March 5, 2013, 02:27 PM   #7
BoogieMan

Wow! Checked out the JGSALES site. $99 is a bargain for a Steyr. I paid $176 for mine, non matching in similar condition w/bayonet. Only reason is that it had Budapest stamp.
Get yourself one, soon. I had the chance to shoot mine once so far. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was to shoot. I bought dies but havent bought bullets or brass yet. All the cartridges I have are 1938 Nazi headstamp. I will shoot a few but want to hold on to some also. If your near NJ, your welcome to give mine a try.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 5, 2013, 04:01 PM   #8
tahunua001

Quote:
Wow! Checked out the JGSALES site. $99 is a bargain for a Steyr. I paid $176 for mine, non matching in similar condition w/bayonet. Only reason is that it had Budapest stamp.
Get yourself one, soon. I had the chance to shoot mine once so far. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was to shoot. I bought dies but havent bought bullets or brass yet. All the cartridges I have are 1938 Nazi headstamp. I will shoot a few but want to hold on to some also. If your near NJ, your welcome to give mine a try.
yeah those bayonets fetch a pretty good premium, anything on gunchoker with the bayonet is $300... sorry but no thank you, around thanksgiving JG had both the 95 carbine and 95/34 for $79, it was so hard to not get one.

I have 9 enblocs, 10 rounds of loaded nazi stamp ammo, 59 .329 bullets, and 18 nazi casings... not enough to do any serious shooting but enough to keep me going until I can get ahold of some PRVI or other more easily reloadable ammo...berdan casings are starting to sound like a pain to reload.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:58 PM   #9
BoogieMan

My LGS that accepted the transfer for me didnt even charge me a fee. He said pay the $17 NICS and get that thing out of my store before one of my customers sees it.
It was meant in a friendly joking manner.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 5, 2013, 08:18 PM   #10
tahunua001

my lgs never charged me for NICS... now it's no big deal since I have a CWP...

that's an odd fee come to think of it... mine all charge FFL transfer fee though