The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2013, 11:47 AM   #1
e-mishka

Need help shipping primers

Can anybody help me ship primers from NW Chicago area.
UPS will not ship without having hazmat contract with them, which requires training, paperwork etc..

Does anyone have proper training to ship those?
Old February 28, 2013, 12:33 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Find a company that routinely ships hazmat in your area - chemical companies, explosive makers, even a cleaning supply company
Old February 28, 2013, 01:12 PM   #3
David Bachelder

You must be certified to ship HazMat. Most individuals do not do this. It's a little expensive and time consuming.

If you decide to do this I suggest that you call FedEx and see if they still offer the training program. It's $150.00 for the course and once certified you can ship HazMat via FedEx. I might also add that FedEx is a little easier to get along with then UPS.

If you don't want to go to this trouble maybe you can find someone to do it for you. Most companies will not, due to liability issues.

I have been through the FedEx program. Its not that hard but it does take a good bit of time. Another thing .... preparing a HazMat shipment is a pain in the a%$. Everything must be just right, on top of that your package has to be picked up. FedEx charges a pick up fee ($4.00 per package) and HazMat fee (I think its $25.00 now) then adds on ground shipping charges.

You spend almost $30.00, and the package is still at your house. No wonder people avoid it.

FYI - HazMat shipping is a Department Of Transportation thing. If you are caught violating DOT rules they will throw the book at you. They are notorious for excessive fines. You will regret the day you ever decided to take a chance.
Old February 28, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
e-mishka

Thank you for the explanation.
Thats what I learned so far as well. Im supprised most people think that you can just show to ups/fedex and pay them hazmat fee.
I know some people ship primers with ord-m sticker on it and thats it. They are playing with fire on this.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:35 PM   #5
deepforks

someone better explain this to all the numb nuts selling them on gunbroker think of all the "non" hazmat primer shipments that are taking place right now.
Old February 28, 2013, 06:02 PM   #6
rlc323

You also have to make and include copies of the bill of lading for the shipper and the package must be signed for by an adult when it arrives. Ground only shipping as well.

Oddly enough you can send primed brass just like ammo, ORM-D sticker by ground.

These folks on Gunbroker are taking a big risk on each end, buyers and sellers. Say some fool ships primers second day air without disclosing and they cause a problem on a flight. They will definitely trace it back. The rules are there for a reason.

In our litigious society I am not sure Gunbroker would be completely in the clear as they facilitated the sale.
Old February 28, 2013, 06:16 PM   #7
jepp2

Quote:
In our litigious society I am not sure Gunbroker would be completely in the clear as they facilitated the sale.
I'm pretty sure GunBroker would not be liable for any responsibility for individuals that choose to break the law. Kind of like suggesting the police are responsible for a crime because they hadn't arrested the person responsible for the crime...
Old February 28, 2013, 07:42 PM   #8
rlc323

I expect GunBroker has some good attorneys on retainer as well.

That said, a fire on a jet, even a minor one caused by primers illegally shipped would get everyone involved when the lawsuits begin to fly.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:07 PM   #9
David Bachelder

DOT will go after the shipper and only the shipper. They cant do anything to anyone else, they didn't break the law.
Old March 2, 2013, 05:03 AM   #10
trapper300RUM

Primers Shipping

I only buy the primers from Wideners {when they get some that is } YOU DO NOT WANT TO SHIP POWDER OR PRIMERS WITHOUT THE CORRECT LABELING IT VERY COULD LAND YA IN THE POKEY OR A NASTY FINE OR BOTH
Old March 2, 2013, 05:22 AM   #11
chris in va

Sell local, or ship primed cases ORM-D.