The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2013, 09:55 PM   #1
BradS

Reloading .40SW

I am a newbie to reloading and purchased my first press. I bought a Dillon Square Deal set up for .40SW. My timing may be off, due to the Obama scare.
I am looking for recommendations for powder and primers and a recipe for practice loads. Any information will be appreciated.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:12 PM   #2
snooze

Any small pistol primer that you can find. These were selling out quickly before things went nuts. I'm glad I bought a few thousand at ~$20/k right before this madness.

Check a reloading manual to see what powders are recommended for the bullet types you plan to load.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:30 PM   #3
serf 'rett

The starting question may be "What primers, powders or bullets can you find?"
I have been loading 165 grain and 180 grain Berry's plated bullets, seated over Power Pistol or N340 or Unique powders with CCI 500 primers.

My 40S&W pistol has a polygonal barrel so I don't load lead bullets for that caliber.

Have you read any reloading manuals? Your manuals should have load data.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:51 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Last time I checked (a few days ago) Powder Valley had WSF in stock in 8 lb kegs for a good price, and quite a few different flavors of 1 pounders -- mostly Hodgdon powders. No primers though.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Sevens

I load a lot of Berry's 180 grain plated, either the flat point or the rounded shoulder for .40 S&W, and I tend to stick with Alliant Power Pistol for my propellant.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Nathan

Personally, I like AA#5 and Win SP in 40 behind cast plated or jacketed 155 gr bullets.

I have been told I should look at Universal Clays also.

I'm currently playing with Longshot, but I haven't found a load I like yet.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Gster

I really like Titegroup for all my pistol loads. I read where a lot of people shy away from it because of of the very small amount you need and the dangers of double charges ect. If you pay attention (which you should) to every stage of your reloading process and check your charged cases before bullet seating, Titegroup is an excellent choice. For plinking, I use 4.2 grns. in my .40 and 9mm rnds. without ever having to adjust my Lee PPM. Components are hard to come by nowadays so good luck to ya.

Last edited by Gster; March 2, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:26 AM   #8
L2R

read

Confusious said, "He who is self-taught has a fool for a master".

I recently started and wanted to make sure I started out safe and start with good habits.

Get a Lyman's 49 somewhere like amazon.
Get the ABCs of Reloading too.

If you don't have someone local to see their set up or help you set yours up, join a local or regional gun forum and ask for some help, preferably with someone that has the same machine.

When you have a powder, look up their website for loads. stay back 10% on the powder until you get a chronograph.

I also like handloads.com as a quick reference.

good luck, it is theraputic and addictive.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:08 AM   #9
David Bachelder

Berry's 180 grain flat nose
Hodgdon Universal @ 5 grains (4.6 to 5.1)
Small Pistol Primer
COAL @ 1.125"

Works for me.

I have a Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf Barrel and I shoot cast bullets with this same load.
Cast 165 gr Hollow Point and 175 grain Flat Nose, 95/2.5/2.5 lead/tin/antimony alloy , bhn somewhere around 12.

.40's are a bit snappy I find that a load over 5 grains with any of the above bullets are uncomfortable for me and I loose accuracy.

I did my certification target, for my CHL, in Texas shooting 498 out of a possible 500 with the hollow points. I had 10 shots outside of the 9 ring. Did me well, normally I'm a pretty bad shot with a pistol. Only two shooters did better than me. One of them was an ex marine, he put all 50 shots dead center mass, nothing touching the 9 ring. This guy was amazing.

ocymmv