The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 27, 2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Skans

STI rame - how do you fit a slide to it?

I presently have an STI 2011 .45 - complete and functions nicely. It has an aluminum frame. I am considering "swapping" out the frame (and parts) to replace the aluminum frame with a stainless one.

It's a perfectly good gun, I understand, this is not necessary. I just want to know if it is possible and how much work would be involved in "swapping" and STI 2011 aluminum frame for an STI stainless frame.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:02 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Possible? Probably. Easy? Maybe.

It depends on how well the maker stuck to specs, and how complete the replacement frame is. If you have to install the spring tunnel and the grip screw bushings it will be a bit more difficult. If the holes are drilled crooked or are in the wrong place, things can go down hill pretty fast.

At best, the swap will be easy, just a matter of basically disassembling the gun and re-assembling it with another frame. Since the same maker made both frames that should be the case.

Jim
Old February 27, 2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Hunter Customs

When you ask about the 2011 I take it you are talking about the STI double stack gun with composit grip.
I don't recall STI having an aluminum frame for the double stack gun but they may have.
I also don't believe they are doing any frames in stainless, I know they quit offering stainless slides several years back.

As for the work required, you will have to change the new frame to the composit grip and may have to fit the frame rails to the slide.
I would also check the barrel timing with the new frame, as it may need adjusted.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 28, 2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Skans

I have a custom STI 2011 built on one of their aluminum frames. I think they still make the stainless frames. If the process was a simple swap with very minimal fitting, I was considering picking up an stainless frame to replace the aluminum one - not that there is anything wrong with the aluminum frame, I'd just like to have a little extra weight in the frame.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:50 PM   #5
eman

From the STI site.

The patented STI 2011 Frame is manufactured from 4140 Maxxell Alloy steel, pre-cit for high ride beavertail grip safety and ambidextrous thumb safety configuration. The frame is CNC milled billet, creating a very accurate frame to build the highest quality pistols. The innovative frame design preserves the 17 degree angle of grip in relation to the slide, original to the 1911. The essential design element for capacity, the 2011 grip, is made from glass filled nylon polymer and is checked with 30 LPI in the complete front strap and 25 LPI on the trigger guard. Available in black, gray, blue, and red. To increase strength and durability, metal inserts are molded into the grip to allow metal to metal contact with the frame.

All frame kits include: frame, grip, magazine release, mainspring house and trigger.