The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Wrothgar

Enemy Within: NRA board member Joaquin Jackson

So this guy is on the NRA board of directors. Doesn't sound very 2A friendly, at least not to me, as he's in favor of an AWB and a mag limit. Is there a way to remove a board member by voting? Could we write other NRA board member and ask they remove him? I'm asking questions and addressing the content of the link, I don't think this counts as a "drive by".
Old February 26, 2013, 04:50 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

2013 ballots are in the current magazine
Old February 26, 2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Wrothgar

Huh, I just got in the new one (March) yesterday, didn't see it. I will go back through...
Old February 26, 2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Skans

You need to be a life member or have a 5 year membership to vote.

Thanks for the heads up on this guy, I'll have to see if he's up for re-election - if so, I will vote against him.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

It's old news. Jackson relented from his statements, and it's up to members to decide whether or not they find him sincere.

Non-members? Tough noogies.
Old February 26, 2013, 05:16 PM   #6
ohen cepel

I don't belief his "explanation" at all.

I wasn't planning on voting this year but I will get it in the mail tonight and he will NOT be on my ballot.

Guys like him need to go! For a board member to put this type of stuff out there is wrong on so many levels.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old February 26, 2013, 05:25 PM   #7
thallub

Jackson has stood for re-election at least once since that information came out.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Skans

Quote:
It's old news. Jackson relented from his statements,
The guy's a liar. He back-tracked by saying he was talking about full-auto assault weapons only needing 5 rounds. That's a load of crap! I'm voting against him.

For all you who are not 5-eyar or life NRA members, this should be good reason for you to join or up your membership so that you can vote against people like this representing all of us.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:53 PM   #9
chiefr

Thanks, I will not vote for him.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:03 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

J Jackson; One Ranger...

I read Jackson's autobiography; One Ranger. It's a interesting read. He had a colorful career as a Texas Ranger & a DPS trooper. Jackson was a LE consultant & advisor to actor Nick Nolte for the action drama; Extreme Predjuce, www.imdb.com . They had a good relationship at first, then Jackson sued Nolte over a dispute, .
Jackson also lost his Texas Ranger retirement LE status, , the politics & reasons are described in One Ranger. I'm not sure if he can carry firearms as a private Texas citizen or with the new LEOSA status. He has NO sworn LE powers in Texas as far as I understand.
His son is in jail for murder(explained in One Ranger). Jackson's other son is a sworn LE officer(US Border Patrol/CBP).
Jackson also wrote about how his teen son's friend picked up his(J Jackson's) loaded model 29 .44magnum & played "Russian Roulette", killing himself.

I have no personal problem with Jackson, he's a grown man & retired Texas Ranger but, honestly, I'm not sure if he is qualified to sit on the NRA board.

I probably would not vote for Jackson if I were a voting NRA member.
ClydeFrog
Old February 26, 2013, 09:00 PM   #11
FlyFish

I watched the video and I read his "clarification." This guy is not our friend and he clearly does not understand what the 2nd Amendment is all about. I will be voting against him and I urge my fellow NRA voting members to do likewise.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:19 PM   #12
kutz

Didnt know this, I will vote NO on him.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:24 PM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Jackson has stood for re-election at least once since that information came out.
Right, and he kept his post.

This was five years ago. It wasn't a secret back then. Why the sudden outrage now?
Old February 27, 2013, 12:05 AM   #14
Jeremiah/Az

I will vote against him too!
Old February 27, 2013, 06:06 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

"Assault weapons need to be in the hands of the military and in the hands of the police."

So ... another from the LEO community who thinks only the LEOs are special enough to be allowed adequate means with which to defend themselves. He needs to be removed from the NRA board. He's another Zumbo.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:41 AM   #16
thallub

Quote:
Why the sudden outrage now?
Who knows?

i've never voted for Jackson.
Fact: Jackson is now entrenched on the NRA board. Voting Jackson off the NRA board is a near impossibility because sitting members have their advocates and few eligible NRA members bother to vote in board elections:

Quote:
As you can see, there was a slight decline in the number of ballots cast even though more members were eligible to vote, leaving us with only 6% of the eligible members returning a ballot at all.
http://www.pagunblog.com/2009/05/26/...tors-election/
Old February 27, 2013, 06:48 AM   #17
TDL

Once a person has a special status they are usually all for others being limited. Law enforcement has been guilty of this quite a bit.

the test of any law enforcement persons view is whether they see a difference in what they can have and what non criminal owners should have.

Studies have shown that when given free gun locks, safes or trigger locks 2/3 of law enforcement refuse to use them at home citing difficulty in speedy access to the weapon to defend themselves at home.

http://www.experts.scival.com/reachn...y&u_id=5000812
Old February 27, 2013, 06:57 AM   #18
thallub

Quote:
Law enforcement has been guilty of this quite a bit.
Many years ago a very old NRA Endownment member told me that a law enforcement candidate for the NRA board had a shoddy gun rights record. Since then i refuse to vote for LEOs.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
Why the sudden outrage now?
Because he is up for re-election and now is when we have a chance to do something about it.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:20 PM   #20
Skans

Quote:
This was five years ago. It wasn't a secret back then. Why the sudden outrage now?
I didn't know enough to be outraged 5 years ago - had only been an NRA member for a couple of years.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:43 PM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

One (note: "One") of my objections to the NRA is that voting is limited to a small sub-set of the membership. I don't think I should have to ante up for a life membership before being allowed to vote for those who will be running MY organization. I've been a member of a number of professional organizations over the years (and an officer and/or director of many) and I can't think of a single organization other than the NRA that does this. It's wrong, but it can only be changed by those who already have a vote so I'm not holding my breath.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:53 PM   #22
JimPage

I haven't read the rules lately so I may be incorrect in what I say. I believe the requirement to vote for the board requires 5 consecutive years of membership, not life or a 5 year enrollment.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old February 27, 2013, 12:57 PM   #23
tynman

Does this sound familiar? Sounds like every election in the USA... Cant vote him out (but you cant find anyone that voted of him or her either)....

Good luck with the vote....
Im not a life member so I cant vote....
Old February 27, 2013, 01:28 PM   #24
FlyFish

JimPage wrote:

Quote:
I haven't read the rules lately so I may be incorrect in what I say. I believe the requirement to vote for the board requires 5 consecutive years of membership, not life or a 5 year enrollment.
That is essentially correct. I'm looking at my voting package, which includes the text of Article III, Section 6 of the NRA bylaws, which says "Lifetime members and annual members with five or more consecutive years of membership . . . [may vote]". So (the language is a bit ambiguous, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works), if you become a Life Member you'd be eligible the first year regardless of how long you may have been an Annual Member previously. Otherwise, five consecutive years of membership.
Old February 27, 2013, 02:28 PM   #25
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
It's old news. Jackson relented from his statements, and it's up to members to decide whether or not they find him sincere.
According to his "clarification," his remarks were intended to address only real (military and police) assault weapons.

This means a retired Texas Ranger wants US to believe that HE believes the military and law enforcement should be allowed to have full-auto rifles but should not be allowed magazines for same with a capacity larger than five (5) rounds.

Does not pass a preliminary scan with the credibility meter.