The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 1, 2013, 02:41 PM   #26
Rabbitt

Last ones.

Para; Browning; Colt; Henry; Rossi; Kimber; Magnum Research; Rock Island; Ruger; S&W; Sig; Taurus; Chiappa; Remington; Remington Shotgun; Hi Point Carbine; Bushmaster; ISSC; Beretta; Marlin. .22; .380; 9mm; .38; .357; .45; 12 gauge; .223/5.56.
Variety is the spice of life.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:23 PM   #27
WiscBuckmaster

Very nice! Anybody with negative comments really must not have much of a life. Why log on and take the time to post on something you don't like? Ignore the arrogant people and enjoy your gun. There would only be one gun in one caliber in one color produced if everyone liked the same thing. I like it. There is enough bland firearms out there it's good to see someone dares to be different.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:08 AM   #28
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscBuckmaster
Very nice! Anybody with negative comments really must not have much of a life. Why log on and take the time to post on something you don't like? Ignore the arrogant people and enjoy your gun. There would only be one gun in one caliber in one color produced if everyone liked the same thing. I like it. There is enough bland firearms out there it's good to see someone dares to be different.
Because sometimes people post things on the web for honest opinions, not just a bunch of "yes-men."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR
You know, anytime you do something different, outside the norm, you have to be ready for anything from a flock of admirers to gentle ribbing to outright insults.

And then you post pics of THAT!

You got cojones, Rabbitt.

I do like the finish though, I just don't know if I could shoot a gun like that. I'd never want to put it in a holster.
Rabbitt, every time I look at the newer pics of that gun, I like it even more. It's kinda grown on me. I hope it shoots as sweet as it looks.

And my opinion about the cojones still stands.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:35 AM   #29
kozak6

It looks like copper verdigris.

It's not my style at all, and I wouldn't buy something like that unless it was sold at such a steep discount as to pay for refinishing.

I'm glad you like it.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:19 AM   #30
kimbers rule

I like the finish. I would have bought it too.
Old March 2, 2013, 05:35 PM   #31
k511

the remingtons are solid firearms, really like mine...actually had it for sale to cover some other purchases, but decided to keep it....hadnt seen that finish like what you have before...its interesting, i would buy one, i like things that are a little different, has character.... heres mine, great shooter
Old March 2, 2013, 06:11 PM   #32
certified106

My new Remington R1

Congrats on the R1!I have shot my buddy's R1 quite a few times and really like the gun a lot! I would love to have one but maybe not in green.......
Old March 2, 2013, 06:18 PM   #33
JWT

Well, the finish certainly is different. Should be good camo for underwater shooting.

Everyone has different tastes and if the owner likes it that's all that matters.
Old March 2, 2013, 06:48 PM   #34
redhologram

Although I personally prefer a "traditional" colored gun (easier to match nail polish to, you know ), I can appreciate the aesthetics of the color and design on the gun. It's an expression of art. Art is a mixture of skill and talent. Shooting is a mixture of skill and talent. Why not combine the two if you'd like?

It's funny, I haven't seen the same kind of comments made to those who have posted pictures of other brightly colored guns, what's the difference?

Congrats on the new gun. I hope you enjoy it!
Old March 3, 2013, 09:53 AM   #35
chriscraft35

Cool gun. Hogue makes a pair of zombie grips that would realy set that thing off. Their zombie green with a zombie figure imprinted, have a pair for my R1, i'll try to get a pic posted. Enjoy your gun, great choice.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:01 AM   #36
basilisk4

Love the gun. Would prefer a different finish for myself. Enjoy it!
Old March 3, 2013, 04:53 PM   #37
MikeBo

Love it, love the finish
Old March 3, 2013, 05:00 PM   #38
jimbob86

I think I saw that very gun in the store (LaVista, right?) ...... beauty is in the eye of the beholder ..... that said, it's much nicer than my 5" 1911 .....

....the real question, though, is: How does it shoot?
Old March 3, 2013, 06:26 PM   #39
WiscBuckmaster

Quote:
Because sometimes people post things on the web for honest opinions, not just a bunch of "yes-men."
Yeah you're right people show off their new purchase just to get idiots to post rude condescending remarks that basically point out how they hope you got it for a discount because its so ugly.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:00 PM   #40
ET.

Many people think my Glocks are ugly, but that doesn't stop me from carrying them every day. Guns are meant to shoot, not stare at and admire. Some people will like the zombie paint job, some won't. Hey, it's a gun & that's all I care about. Congratulations on your new 1911...enjoy it.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:20 PM   #41
turkeybuzzard

Yuck
Old March 3, 2013, 08:42 PM   #42
Tactical Jackalope

My new Remington R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeybuzzard View Post
Yuck
Don't say what you really think.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:48 PM   #43
Achilles11B

Not a big fan of the finish but if you're happy, then who cares. I was considering the R1 for my first 1911 purchase, went with a Springfield Loaded instead. Take it to the range yet?
Old March 3, 2013, 08:55 PM   #44
Mac 1

Remington

My Remington is right up there with my Double Star, Kimber and Desert Eagle G. You did good. The color leaves alittle to be desired in my view. But, as long as it makes you happy. Congrats.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:42 PM   #45
Rabbitt

Hi again everyone. Thanks to those who like the finish and "oh well" to those that don't. Whatever floats your boat.

Made it to the range yesterday. Ran 150-200 rounds through it. Shot both Winchester White Box and Estate. Not sure who makes Estate ammo. Box isn't marked but I believe the case said Remington. Cheaper than what else they had available.

Shoots like a dream. Smooth pull on the trigger. Sights were right on for me. Had no problems at first then had a couple of fail to eject toward the end. Round wasn't coming completely out of slide and getting caught. I believe the primary problem was the mag itself. Seemed to be the same mag each time. I won't say which it was as I don't want to start a mag war. The two mags that came with the pistol were flawless.

I did do something I don't normally do. I hadn't planned on going to the range so had not given it it's first cleaning. So I shot it right out of the box and expected possible problems. That may have contributed to the FTE.

Jimbob86 - Yep. The Cabela's in La Vista.

JimmyR - Thanks for the cojones remark. I like to think I do. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted the pics and post when I got the Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911G. After all they couldn't possibly make a good gun. Lol

I find that this R1 shoots as well as the DE 1911 and also my Kimber Tactical Entry II. I have no complaints with it at all.

So here is the target from my first shooting. This is the first 28 rounds I fired with the gun. I would call it accurate. It is at 25 ft., standing, 2 hand grip and slow fire.

Para; Browning; Colt; Henry; Rossi; Kimber; Magnum Research; Rock Island; Ruger; S&W; Sig; Taurus; Chiappa; Remington; Remington Shotgun; Hi Point Carbine; Bushmaster; ISSC; Beretta; Marlin. .22; .380; 9mm; .38; .357; .45; 12 gauge; .223/5.56.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:53 PM   #46
loltraktor1918

Congrats. I am sure you will enjoy it. Certainly interesting paintwork.
Old March 4, 2013, 02:11 PM   #47
whippoorwill

Quote:
Yeah you're right people show off their new purchase just to get idiots to post rude condescending remarks that basically point out how they hope you got it for a discount because its so ugly.
Ease off, Dude. I may think it's bad form to badmouth someone's taste in firearms as well, but... you're not allowed to police other members of this forum until you're had at least 50 posts. Seriously, by calling out those who make rude condescending remarks, you may have just busted yourself.

IAC, to the OP, it looks as if yours shoots as well as mine. The R1 has far exceeded my expectations with regard to accuracy. My only complaint has been that the finish on the underside of the frame was muffed. Enjoy!!
Old March 4, 2013, 02:19 PM   #48
lamarw

I had no doubt you would enjoy your range time. I certainly have with my R1. Like I stated before, quality is more than skin deep.

Shoot it a lot and just before the 1st anniversary send it back under the Platinum Plan for the free factory inspection and cleaning. I had mine back within six days of sending it off.

My neighbors are having a new boat house built; therefore I have not had a chance to fire my new Sig P220. I don't want to freighten the workers since they are unable to see where the firing is coming. The sound of gun fire really reverberates over water. I may get antsy and go over and warn them and then do a little shooting.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:32 PM   #49
Skadoosh

Ok...I do have one other comment now that there are more photos posted, but they are not about the choice of paint scheme.

After looking more at the additional photos, I have been noticing what looks like chipping or galling on the edges of the hammer well...as well as on either side of the mainspring housing. Looks like the finish is coming because of poor prep work on the painter/finisher's part. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old March 4, 2013, 04:52 PM   #50
Rabbitt

Skadoosh - I had noticed the same thing and tried to take some photos of the bottom of the slide. What looks like bad prep or chipping is actually the paint as it goes around the sharp edges. Depending on the angle it is looked at it either makes sense or looks like crap and it did worry me for a bit after I looked at the first couple of photos.

Here is one photo that might help with the above explanation.

I am not sure if the next ones will make sense or not.

I do appreciate you bring it up however because it does give me a change to explain.

Believe me. It does look better in person.