The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Djmudge

new revolver

my wifes great uncle has given me a Iver's&Peterson .357 Cattelmans revolver. 7 1/2 bbl , shot 20 times as he still has the original box of Remington Peters shells he bought at the same time of gun purchase. any one have any thoughts of tapping so to base and scope it for hunting. any imput would help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0791.jpg (274.1 KB, 137 views)
Old February 23, 2013, 11:55 PM   #2
PatientWolf

Personally, I would not modify it. It looks like a very nice revolver. If you want one with a scope, I'd go buy a more modern looking weapon and keep this one as it is.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:17 PM   #3
K_Mac

The others make a good point that it is a fine looking old gun, and adding a scope is not something traditionally done. On the other hand, adding a scope and using it is far better than leaving it locked up in the safe to be passed on to the next guy practically untouched in my opinion.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Newton24b

it wont be cheap to do. ive only seen a few done with a scope and they were all blackhawks.

does your gun have an adjustable rear sight? its possible bowen or clements could modify a sw rear sight mount to work, but it may not be possible in the end. not much metal in the topstrap.

its why heritage altered the topstrap on their saa that come with a factory mounted optic sight.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Iver Johnson Cattleman was actually made in Italy, by Uberti. They were sold by IJ from 1973 to 1978 (not really too "old"). They are decent guns. As for drilling and tapping, the top strap should be strong enough for that. They did make them with adjustable rear sights and a slilghtly heavier top strap, but as far as I can tell that gun is the standard model.

I would shoot it first and see if it is accurate enough to warrant the expense and trouble of having a scope mounted.

Jim
Old February 25, 2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Bob Wright

Iver Johnson is the correct name of the importer. I keep looking at the photo and the base pin latch looks odd, like maybe the latch is missing? I can't really tell from your photo. If it is, that needs to be replaced, or you'll be searching for the base pin after several shots.

As to building this into a hunting revolver, I'd skip that idea. What you would spend would about get you a Super Blackhawk.

Bob Wright
Old February 26, 2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Djmudge

it does have a adjustable rear sight with both windage and elevation. if i dont do the scope i need to find the fiber optic sights that might fit it.
Old February 27, 2013, 11:38 PM   #8
michael t

Why not try a dab of red or orange paint on front sight . Then shoot and enjoy it