The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 21, 2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Boomer44

Browning Vs. Beretta

Hi Guys... I'm new to this forum and to Skeet and Trap shooting in general. I'm not a hunter. I just started Shooting this Christmas and my wife and I love it. I'm looking at buying a good up scale gun. I once read in one of these threads "the cheapest gun is to gun you buy once" I believe that statement to be true. I have narrowed my choices down to either the Browning Sporting Citori or Cynergy Vs Beretta Sporting SV10 111. Looking for some input here, in 12 Gauge.
Old February 21, 2013, 10:04 PM   #2
dalecooper51

I would try and get some trigger time with each and buy which one feels better to you.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:54 AM   #3
hopper810

They are both great guns,but like the above poster stated if possible you should try each brand. They fit and feel differently and for most folks they get along better with one and not the other.

Myself I like and get along better with Beretta's

Welcome to the madness know as clay shooting
Old February 22, 2013, 08:59 AM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Typically, when comparing the Citori line to the Beretta - if one fits you well, odds are the other will not. The Cynergy line is built more like a Beretta, so it might be a closer decision.

Go to your local trap/skeet/sporting club and see if they rent guns, or you can find some folks with the models you are interested in and shoot them. Just handling in the store does not really give you a good perspective.

Not being a hunter, you are wise to be looking at the heavier target versions.

Look for ones with 30" or longer barrels if you are "normal" height or taller - the swing dynamics are better.

Good luck in your quest and enjoy a great addiction!
Old February 22, 2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Topcoat

I have the 12 ga. Cynergy Feather. I hunt with it some, mostly use it for skeet. It fits me very well, different from either the Citori or any Baretta, which don't fit me at all. I would love a Citori or Barretta, keep trying to buy one, but they just don't fit me.

Felt recoil is very mild, partly because it's not super light, and partly because of the unusual recoil pad on some of the Cynergy line. If you are considering a Cynergy with that sort of recoil pad, make darn sure it fits, as it would be hard to cut the stock to change it. Mine did come with a spacer to change length of pull. I love my Cynergy Feather, just make sure it fits...Topcoat
Old February 22, 2013, 02:06 PM   #6
BigJimP

In the Citori line of guns ....for general shooting....sporting clays, Skeet and for upland birds...I prefer the Citori XS Skeet model, with the adjustable comb, 30" barrels...and the 12ga.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=013&tid=066

It has a combination of a solid feel, it will fit 99.9% of shooters, has good balance and a weight ( 8.25 lbs ) that is optimal for me -for the faster games with more left to right movement and on live birds.

It is the one gun in my safe....if I had to give up every other shotgun -- I'd keep this one for sure !
----------------
However, for Trap ....I prefer the longer and heavier Citori XT Trap ...with the adjustable comb, 32" barrels...and while the spec says its a 9lb gun ...mine happens to be a little over 10 lbs which I prefer.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=013&tid=057
-----------
You can certainly use the XS Skeet model for Trap as well ...but I find a heavier and longer gun to be an advantage on Trap because there isn't as much left to right movement...but for Sporting Clays or Skeet or hunting..its just too heavy and clumsy.
------
The specific sporting models of the Citori...and there are quite a few ...all have angled combs on them.../ and unless you know specifically how much drop at comb and heel fit you ...I would stay away from an angled comb gun ...and go to the parallel comb guns instead.

I 2nd the idea that the Browning Cynergy and Beretta have similar feels...but if you're looking at a Beretta ...for a parallel comb gun, I would look at the DT-10 model as a good all around gun.

Get out and talk to as many shooters as you can ...shoot as many guns as you can / many guys will let you put some shells thru their gun ...as a test...not that you can make any adjustments to the comb, etc....but it will give you an idea if that configuration feels right / will fit you.

Last edited by BigJimP; February 22, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:22 PM   #7
zippy13

Among the skeeters I've competed with, I know of several who've gone from Brownings to Berettas, but never from a Beretta to a Browning. Unfortunately, to the less experienced shooter the differences may not be readily apparent.

IMHO, the Italian guns feel and handle better than the Japanese ones, YMMV. My buddy, BigJim, has a mess of Brownings that he likes, but he's not yet seen the light.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:38 PM   #8
BigJimP

I like it in the dark.....I'm like a mushroom...!

( I've shot Beretta's once or twice ...then I had to wash to get the stink off ....) ..???
-----------------
Seriously ....its about whether the feel of the Beretta or the Browning Citori fits your hands better...in the throat area, the Beretta is much thinner...and they are often a little lighter...but that feel in the throat or grip area...gives a very different feel to the Beretta vs the Citori's, especially if the Citori has a "palm swell" which my Citori XS Skeet and XT's etc all have...

whether you like that "blockier" feel to the Citori ...or that "lighter slimmer" feel of the Beretta...is strictly a personal thing.../ same issue on the forend...they're just different...
Old February 22, 2013, 08:47 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

Sorry Jim, I agree with the Zipster - the Italians RULE..........all one has to do is look at the Olympic champs - not a Browning of either Belgian or Japanese origin to be seen, but the Perazzis and to a lesser extent - the Berettas were the ones in the winner circle

No matter what brand, the cheapest gun is the one you only buy once
Old February 23, 2013, 02:18 AM   #10
olddrum1

Have you looked at Perrazi?
Old February 23, 2013, 09:52 AM   #11
BigJimP

That's ok guys....( big guys are sensitive too ya know )...but I'm not offended.

Perazzi, Blazer are a significant step up in price from most Beretta / Browning options....then there are Kolar and Krieghoff at the top end. All 4 companies are very nice guns - if you can afford to play in that arena ( $ 8,000 - $ 25,000 )....
Old February 23, 2013, 12:13 PM   #12
BigD_in_FL

Those guns hold their value very nicely though, so you not only get your money back, you usually make some. And Jim, you know the gun is the cheapest part anyway - ammo and targets FAR eclipse even the price of a 12K Kolar
Old February 24, 2013, 03:04 PM   #13
BigJimP

Yes, you're right ......! My local club is still relatively inexpensive with skeet targets at $ 28/100 and shells for sale at around $7 a box ( 25 ) ....so its about $ 14 for a line of Skeet or Trap...( call it $60 for a day where you shoot 4 lines of Skeet )...and for a lot of us, $ 20 in gas ..so it adds up big time !

.... 5 Stand is about $8 for 25 birds and ... sporting clays is about $10 for 25 birds...

so the cost of targets and shells add up pretty quickly ...( a lot of retired guys on fixed incomes are feeling the pinch on their recreational budgets)....and we're seeing fewer and fewer new, or younger shooters, at the club on a regular basis....and shooting handguns a couple times a week with ammo prices up over $ 24 for a 50 rd box of 9mm now...is really getting to be an expensive pastime. Its the way things are ...
Old February 24, 2013, 08:50 PM   #14
chadio

At our local shooting club, the trap chairman has a simple philosophy - "If I can't hit consistently with it, it's worthless to me - regardless of price" re: Perazzi, Krieghoff, Ljutic, etc.