The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 27, 2013, 12:59 PM   #26
pilpens

-- Usually, it is best to start with a .22 LR handgun. It is cheaper to shoot than centerfire allowing for more practice at low cost and the low recoil allows beginners to better concentrate on shooting fundamentals.

-- You need to determine the primary purpose of this 1st pistol.
-- You need to determine if your need is immediate.

-- If there is an immediate need for a self defense pistol, then 9mm would be a good start. A pistol with no external safety/decocker and consistent trigger pull like a Glock would be simpler to operate than a 1911 type pistol with external thumb safety or a DA/SA Sig P2xx with decocker.

-- If this 1st pistol is primarily for a range/fun, then .22LR is best. Just find the one that best fit the hand (Ruger MKxxx, Ruger 22/45 and Browning buckmark are good choices. Ruger SR22 if hands are small). If you choose a centerfire, 1911 9mm is fun to shoot. Adjustable rear sights are a plus for range/fun pistols.

-- Pay attention to proper trigger reach when selecting a pistol. I have seen quite a few people with pistols that are too big/ too small for their hands. It is workable but not ideal. DA/SA pistols are usually a compromise on trigger reach.

Enjoy shopping.

Last edited by pilpens; February 27, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:06 PM   #27
Sgt Pepper

Beretta 92.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:50 PM   #28
SauerGrapes

Quote:
Beretta 92.
The 92 is a great pisol. [If you have hands like a gorilla] The grip is huge.

If you decide on a ceterfire for your first handgun, I would suggest something with interchangable back straps. Also a full size duty model.
Small guns are very hard to shoot well, even for seasoned handguners. You can find yourself getting very frustrated trying to shoot ''mouse'' guns while trying to learn.

As for the Jennings, go ahead and shoot it if you want, but you won't find it to be a friendly gun. They don't even have a slide lock if memory serves me right.
If you buy a quality 22 rimfire pistol, you'll find yourself shooting it for years and years. Even with all the handguns I own, I still pack a 22 cal to the range almost every time I go.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old February 28, 2013, 05:57 PM   #29
Revolver1

Don't get caught up in guns for boys, guns for girls. Shooting isn't a feat of strength, and physical stature doesn't matter. Find a potent gun she's comfortable with, and let her practice with it. She'll become proficient, and have a good time.
Old February 28, 2013, 06:00 PM   #30
dakota.potts

Don't fall into the line of thinking that you need a .22.

Before January I had never fired a gun. Neither had my mom or my 10 year old brother. My parents got Sig Sauer handguns (mom's in .380 and dad's in .40 S&W) and took the NRA first steps class. It taught us all the basics and then we all took shots at a target. Everybody was able to handle the .380 with no problem.

If you want a .22, by all means it's great. Or if she's afraid of guns it can be a great way to work up. But I hear people all the time talking about how women need .22's and this isn't true for most people. If she's carrying for defense, I know I'd feel more comfortable with something a little larger, especially due to the poor reliability of .22 lr's any time I've fired them out of a semi-automatic. Could've been a fluke but we were using Federals and probably 10-12 out of 100 wouldn't fire or load, and on inspection were crooked or not seated well. I'll let more veteran members decide what that means.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAw&dur=2147 This is the .380 my mom picked up and I loved it. Very accurate, easy to use, low recoil, slide and safety are easy to manipulate (this was important as my mom has systemic Lupus attacking her joints so it has to be easy to use). And of course you should be able to get it without all the fanciness graphics and such on it.

As far as .22's go, I have heard both the Ruger series and the Smith & Wesson M&P 22 series go highly recommended
Old February 28, 2013, 08:56 PM   #31
Renuco612

Thanks for all the info everybody. Im going to buy 2 pistols for sure. A 22cal for and i to practice and for sure my kimber that I've been wanting. The wait list for a ruger is while though. Particular guns are so hard to get right now.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:44 PM   #32
Hansam

I don't know where you're at but here in my state I found 5 (Ruger .22lr pistols that is) for sale with a quick search on Armslist.com

Here's a bunch of them for sale on Gunbroker.com

Good idea to start with a .22 pistol.