The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1
idahoJoe

22 double action revolver

I have a notion to get a 22 lr double action revolver mostly for practicing a double action trigger pull and shooting rabbits etc. I have been eyeing the Sp101 by Ruger.

Is this a good idea or should I get a single action and what make/model do you recommend.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Babyfacenelson

IMHO Ruger does a revolver like no one else.
An sp101 would be great, i think a single six would be better.
If you get the magnum model you can simple switch out for 22lr's.
Why not enjoy the magnums AND the lr's, id say the convertible single six is a good choice
Old February 11, 2013, 10:30 PM   #3
jason_iowa

I went with the smith 617. I have a taurus 94 as well. The 617 is worth every penny imo. I liked it better then the Ruger
Old February 11, 2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Chowder

I have not fired the SP101 in .22 but it looks like a nice gun and Rugers of course have a great reputation. I have a smith model 18-7 and love it. Either way you go I'm sure you will have a blast with any quality DA .22.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:21 PM   #5
idahoJoe

Thanks for the info. I just need a better paying jobs so I can by both. I also noticed a similar thread a few line down guess I should pay more attention

Any one shot the Charter Arms pathfinder.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Babyfacenelson

It fell apart when i pulled the trigger......
No, it didnt do that, but it barely kept rounds on paper at 15 yards, the back sight actually came off once.
Didnt own it, it WAS my buddy's.
Maybe it was a dud, but i wont own one until i see and personally experience a better pistol from them.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Obambulate

If you want to learn a double action trigger, then look for a used Smith & Wesson K-22, Model 17, or Model 18.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:12 PM   #8
mj246

I already wrote about his in the other DA 22 thread, but I do own a Charter Arms Target Pathfinder (4", SS finish, adjustable rear sight). I think it is a very nice little shooter. It might not be quite as good as the 22 sp101 or a S&W, but the trigger is tolerable (a little gritty, but slowly smoothing out with use), accuracy is decent once sighted in, and lockup is very nice on mine. The rear sights are a little weak, as mine broke and needed to be replaced. A call to the factory and a week later a new sight was in my mailbox. It might take a little effort to get it sighted in as it will probably hit far low or high out of the box, but due diligence pays off.

FWIW, now that I own two Charter Revolvers, both of which I like a lot, it seems they might be sighted for more of a "combat sight picture" instead of a 6 O'clock hold. If you align the sights and then put the front sight completely covering your target instead of directly under it, the shot will likely go very close to POA. of course with the adjustable rear sight, you could likely adjust it for the 6 O'clock hold, but the sight might become loose on some individual revolvers due to the shortness of the elevation screw.

Still, I have no problem recommending Charter Arms Revolvers to anybody that wants them due to looks, functionality, or budget. But if you can afford a Ruger or S&W, it will be higher quality in the fit and finish area, if nothing else.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will second the K-22 if you are lucky enough to find one at something less than three arms and your first born. That gun was made as a target pistol but also as a trainer for the K-frame series. An even better bet (three arms and two legs) would be the .22 Combat Masterpiece, a great sub for the Model 19.

Jim
Old February 13, 2013, 01:46 PM   #10
TheWanderingRed

I've handled the Sp101 oncem felt great in my hand, but I've heard bad things about the trigger pull. On one hand it can't be as bad as my Taurus, but I'd still shoot it before I owned it. Rent one.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Sir Loads-A-Lot

The K22 would be my choice but they are hard to find. I have a 617 and it is a little on the heavy side but is the most accurate wheel gun I own. I did some work on the trigger and it is pretty good with the Wolfe springs and a little rebound polishing.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:14 PM   #12
lcpiper

Ooops, sry guys, I missed the .22LR part.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:47 PM   #13
The Great Mahoo

I was eying up the Sp101 for quite a while. I have one in .327 and love it. I handled, but never fired or purchased the .22 Sp a few times on the last few months, and think it a good gun.

Me, I decided on a single-six.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:36 PM   #14
weblance

The SP101-22 is an excellent choice. Its a perfect "all around" revolver. I have a 617, and while it makes a great gun for the range, its too heavy, and bulky for my tastes, for a woods bumming around gun. My 317 is better for a woods gun, but very light for range work. Whats in between? The Model 63, but it costs more than the SP101-22. If you decide on Single Action, and have no desire to shoot 22 WMR, consider the Single Ten. Dont let the comments about the trigger on the SP101-22 discourage you. The Smith & Wesson triggers are no better, as far as pull weight. They do have a shorter pull, but my SP101-22 trigger is very good, and stages perfectly.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:07 PM   #15
ThundarStick

I bought a Smith and Wesson 617, 4 inch,10 shot and haven't looked back! With the speed loaders and loading block I can run through 200 rounds before I enen think about it! My regular CCW is a 4 inch GP100 so the 617 isn't bulky at all, matter of fact I just change speed loader pouches and drop it rite in the same holster! I can say that it does help my DA shooting skills for much less $$! Only draw back is the lingth of pull takes a few mins to adjust when switching from one to the other. My favorite woods walking gun has to be my old Ruger Bisley 22lr. It just seems so petite and well balanced, but still shoots like a lazer!

The 617 is a fantastic gun, runs like a Swiss watch, accurate and looks great! I will admit to not having shot the SP101, although I have handled one in the shop and it feels very good in my hand. Most reviews I read are that the 617 will out shoot the SP101, but every gun is different. I find myself jonesing for a S&W 63 real bad, but try not to look at them when in the gun shop!
Old February 15, 2013, 12:21 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

If you are looking at a DA .22 for training, then get the one closest to the DA centerfire you have, or are planning on getting.

I won't speak to the Ruger, I don't know it.

What I have is a S&W model 17-6, with 6" barrel and full underlug. IT has precisely the heft and feel of my model 28 .357. Rather spendy (in fact, it cost me quite a bit more at the time than my Model 28 did), but I don't think there is a finer DA .22 out there, short of a tuned target gun.

If you use a K frame, a K-22 would be the ideal training gun. Again not remotely cheap.

Quality DA .22s are never cheap. They cost just as much to make as their centerfire brothers (possibly even more), and their niche market means that there is no price break due to mass production.

On the other hand, you get a virtual copy of the centerfire gun, perfect for low cost training and practice. And they hold their value pretty well.

If you just want a good DA .22 for general use, there are several less expensive guns that will serve just as well, or in somecases, better (pocket guns, etc), but they are less expensive, not cheap.

Any decent DA .22 will give you practice, and help improve your overall skills, so its not a tragedy of money ill spent if you cannot get the perfect match for your "duty" gun in terms of size and weight. But if you are going to have to spend a considerable chunk of change for one, I think its best to spend what you need to, to get the closest match you can, even if its more than you absolutely have to spend.

After all, how many of them are you going to buy? Properly cared for, the gun will easily last your lifetime, and well beyond.
Old February 15, 2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Chesster

My best DA .22 is this M18 Smith I picked up on auction a few years ago. I have an old model Charter Pathfinder 3" in .22 mag that is a good one. My favorite .22 is the versitile Ruger Single 6 combo. I have an old and new model and love both. The Colt SA in .22 mag is another favorite.

Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 15, 2013, 03:29 PM   #18
jackpine

get a rev that matches the brand/style that you own or are planning to own. My self I have two S&W N frames with Jordan stocks so my practice 22 is a a S&W 18 with Jordan stocks. If I go into single action hunting guns I'd get a ruger hunter in 45 colt and and ruger hunter 22 lr and have matching scopes and stocks on them.
Old February 18, 2013, 01:26 PM   #19
aarondhgraham

I recently purchased a Charter Arms Pathfinder,,,

I recently purchased a Charter Arms Pathfinder,,,
And it is turning out to be a nice little gun.

I say "little" because it is near the exact same size and profile,,,
As my J-frame S&W model 34 and 63 rimfire revolvers.

I like the gun though,,,
It's trigger was very gritty,,,
I keep flooding it with CLP and shoot it a lot.

I bought the 4" version,,,
I don't know if the 5" version balances as well.

The price is the best part,,,
New and out the door for just under $350.00.

The only thing I really don't like is the front sight blade,,,
It is matte stainless and smooth so it is hard to see,,,
Orange sight paint helped but it could be better.

I own three S&W J-frame 22 revolvers,,,
Their triggers and actions are so much nicer,,,
But truthfully, I think this is because they are "well broken in."

I will bet that after a few more bulk packs,,,
My Charter Arms Pathfinder will be just as good a shooter.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)