The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 16, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1
weblance

My New 10/22 Takedown(Not What You Think) Beretta Neos Carbine

I have a new 10 shot .22 (10/22... get it? ) Takedown Carbine. Its a Beretta Neos pistol, and the Neos Carbine Kit. Since I already have four 10/22 carbines, the idea of a fifth, in the takedown version just seemed kind of redundant. I have 22 pistol disease, and recently bought a Beretta Neos. I really like the Neos, and part of the reason I bought it, was the fact that the Carbine Kit is available to make it into a handy, takedown carbine. Well... the Carbine Kits are hard to come by. The Neos pistol is made here in Maryland, and in Italy, but the Carbine Kit is only made in Italy. I dont know if they dont import that many to the US, or simply dont make that many kits. I had been watching several online retailers, and last week, several popped up on Ebay, so I grabbed one.

I have not shot it yet, but reviews from owners of the Carbine comment about excellent accuracy. The combination Neos pistol, and Carbine Kit is more expensive than the MSRP of a Ruger 10/22 Takedown, but with the Neos and Carbine Kit, you have the option of going back and forth between pistol and carbine, so that is an advantage. Right now, it seems the 10/22 Takedowns are selling for right around $500, and thats just a few dollars more than a Neos pistol, and Neos Carbine Kit.

The only disadvantage I see of the Neos Carbine when compared to the Ruger 10/22 Takedown, is the fact there are no aftermarket high capacity magazines. A couple of advantages are that its lighter, and the scope, if equipped, stays with the barrel, on a cantilever mount, theoretically staying in zero better, when the barrel is removed and replaced numerous times. The Ruger 10/22 Takedown with a scope mounted, the scope stays with the receiver, although reports are that the scope does stay in zero when the barrel is removed and replaced. Some owners comment that the Neos Carbine length of pull is too short. I am a large man, and I dont find it distracting, or uncomfortable.

The Neos Carbine barrel is 16 1/8" long, and total length is 31". The Ruger 10/22 Takedown barrel is 18 1/2" and total length is 37"

I am looking forward to shooting the Neos carbine. I need to find a soft takedown case like what the 10/22 Takedown comes with, and I will be all set.

Last edited by weblance; February 16, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old February 16, 2013, 05:14 PM   #2
marine6680

So how does this thing work... from a legal standpoint...

You can't put a shoulder stock on a pistol as far as I know... so you couldn't use the same serial number.

The kit looks like the lower is different from the pistol... and same with the upper. So what parts do you actually swap over/use from the pistol?
Old February 16, 2013, 06:15 PM   #3
k511

+1 ^^^ hadnt seen one of these yet....im very interested...
Old February 16, 2013, 07:46 PM   #4
weblance

Two years ago, the BATFE clarified the ruling, as it was challenged by Thompson Center. The reason being, TC has a "kit" that allows rifle and pistol barrels on the same action. The BATFE ruled that as long as the original configuration was a pistol, it COULD be converted to a rifle, and back to a pistol again, as many times as you wish, with no regulation, and no $200 stamp. It is not considered an NFA item, as long as when configured as a rifle, the barrel is over 16" and total length is longer than 26". What you CANNOT do, is use the shoulder stock, and pistol barrel, because that IS considered a Short Barreled Rifle, and would require approval and the $200 stamp. As long as the gun is SOLD AS A PISTOL, you can change the barrel length, and add a shoulder stock, as long as it meets the 16"/26" requirements.

In converting the Neos to the Carbine, you simply remove the allen screw that hold the grip, remove the barrel, then use the pistol receiver, carbine barrel, and shoulder stock. Switching over takes maybe 2 minutes at most. Same serial number.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:57 PM   #5
marine6680

I forgot about that rule... Its been forever since I looked into it.

makes me think an AR pistol could be done like this as well.

The stock looks like it is part of the grip area, so I guess the receiver comes out of the grip?
Old February 16, 2013, 08:27 PM   #6
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680
The stock looks like it is part of the grip area, so I guess the receiver comes out of the grip?
Yes... You remove the barrel, by twisting the takedown wheel, then remove the 5mm allen screw from the bottom of the grip. There is a "button" in front of the trigger, that is covered when the barrel is installed. You push forward on that "button" and remove the grip/trigger guard. The receiver holds all the internal parts. Drop it into the shoulder stock/trigger guard, snap the "button" into the receiver, screw in the allen screw, replace the barrel, and plink.

Old February 16, 2013, 10:06 PM   #7
marine6680

Neat... I like it as a carbine better than a pistol.

I need to get a new 22 pistol I think... unrelated to this though.

How would you rate the Neos for reliability and build quality/durability compared to say the Ruger Mark pistols? This kit might be a reason to choose it over the Ruger.

Since this is not directly rifle related, you can PM it...
Old February 16, 2013, 10:41 PM   #8
weblance

Marine6680... I started typing a response, but then remembered that I compared the Ruger to the Beretta already in a couple posts. I will link you to them. They should answer most of your questions. If you have any others, just ask and if I can answer them, I will...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512435

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512760
Old February 17, 2013, 03:33 AM   #9
marine6680

Thanks much.

(what is the receiver made of? The grip is polymer I see... but the main receiver, polymer or metal?)

Last edited by marine6680; February 17, 2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:01 AM   #10
felixx

WOW! Thats snazzy

Shame it is difficult to own handguns here in New Zealand