The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Skadoosh

The "Lords Of War" on National Geographic Channel

This is a pretty good TV series. The premise is simple: Folks bring in weapons, experts evaluate/appraise the weapon, and it either rejected or accepted into auction.

So far its been very interesting...and I will readily admit that I am a pretty finicky television viewer.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co.../lords-of-war/
Old February 6, 2013, 02:59 PM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

I'm supposed to be on that show at some point. I'm hoping I don't look like an idiot. If you see one with a Thompson in it, that's me. I shot that HK51 with the 2 inch barrel in the opening scene. I would have thought they would use the whole mag dump. All you can see is flash when you are shooting it.

The older knife guy on the show gave me a good quote.

"The only reality about reality TV is that its TV."
Old February 6, 2013, 03:16 PM   #3
DaleA

Quote:
DLiller-I'm supposed to be on that show at some point.
Wow -outstanding!

If your talking about the Thompson there is a relatively new book about the Thompson (2009) titled:

"Tommy Gun: How General Thompson's Submachine Gun Wrote History"

http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Gun-Gene...ords=tommy+gun

I read it and enjoyed it and then read the reviews at Amazon that pointed out a few glaring errors in the book.

They also mentioned a couple other books about the Thompson that were much better but (for me) they were not at my library and too high priced to buy.

Good luck on putting out some interesting info. Please tell us when you find out when your episode is scheduled.

Last edited by DaleA; February 6, 2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: include the Amazon link
Old February 6, 2013, 03:55 PM   #4
5.56RifleGuy

I have to say, the info presented is more for the casual viewer who doesnt know a whole lot about guns. I more played the part of the dummy. I like the show in that it shows that guns arent a evil thing to be feared, and gives some people basic info about them.
Old February 6, 2013, 04:19 PM   #5
SPEMack618

I like the show so far, my only problem thus far is that they didn't explain the NFA process at all when they sold the MAC-10 w/ suppressor.

There was a brief mention of the jail time one would serve for pocessing an "un-registered" machine gun, but nothing mentioned of the extensive back ground checks, taxes, and the Hughes Amendment.

I had an enraged fraternity brother rambling on about how anyone could buy a machine gun 'cuz he had seen it on the tv.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:04 PM   #6
YankeeSpirit76

Skadoosh,
that looks like an awesome show! Thanks for posting about it.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:26 PM   #7
KMAX

I like the show well enough, even though the stars seem to ham it up. But I guess that is to be expected. If they acted like most people they probably would be on the show. I plan to continue watching. It is good subject matter.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 7, 2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Corrections Cop

I like the show.
Has anyone seen Extreme Smuggling series on the Discovery Channel? They had a episode about weapons smuggling, that was very interesting. They had these undercover cops go into gun shows and ask the dealers if they needed a background check to buy the gun, to which they replied no, then the undercover said they wouldn't pass a background check and they still sold them the gun. The best was when the guy selling the gun said he couldn't pass a background ether.