The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 4, 2013, 03:09 AM   #1
Armchair Bronco

Black Death Target Challenge

I have a quick question about the infamous "Black Death Target Challenge".

Here's a link to a PDF file that pretty much explains everything you need to know: http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/hunting...blackdeath.pdf

My question is this: how many points does an "X" count for? Is it 10 points?

If an "X" is 10 points, then there would be two ways to get a perfect score. A) Get all five shots inside the 1/2" circle, or B) shoot out the "X" in all five targets.

My sons and I have started target shooting again with our CZ-452 after a long hiatus. We can't wait to try out the Black Death Challenge next week with the new Weaver Classic 2.5-7x28 mm rimfire scope I just ordered.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:22 AM   #2
Armchair Bronco

I've been doing some reading on the thread below (seems like this may have been the site & thread where the challenge originated) and opinions are split. Some folks are saying that 1 shot at each of the "X" marks should count as a perfect score.

But then I read this: "I think it is easier to shoot one shot into the white on individual targets than shooting 5 rounds into one target. My reasoning is that it is more difficult to sight in on a ragged hole than to sight in on a well defined black dot. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but at least to me it seems to be easier."

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ri...allenge-2.html
Old February 4, 2013, 04:30 AM   #3
Armchair Bronco

OK, I had to go to the Internet Archive to find the original set of rules. Here they are:

http://web.archive.org/web/200408230.../bdc_rules.htm

Bottom Line: The "X" is used strictly for tie-breaking purposes:

"Center rings in each target are tie breaking "X" scores. In the case of "X" ties, the best "X" wins."

So, a perfect score on the Black Death Target (BDT) can only come from putting 5 shots completely inside the 1/2" target, without touching any of the surrounding black areas.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:27 AM   #4
stubbicatt

22 long rifle at 25 yards for squirrel class rifles? Is this from a benchrest?
Old February 4, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Armchair Bronco

@stubbicatt - From what I've been able to tell, you may use a bench rest, but only for the front of the gun. Rear rests or sandbags are verboten.

And you can compete from either 25 or 50 yards.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Scorch

Since this is shot with 22 rimfire lever guns, I would venture a guess that it is not a bench match. When I shot smallbore match in college, we were shooting the traditional 10-spot target at 50 feet (17 yds). The X ring on a NRA 50 ft smallbore target is smaller than a 22 bullet, the 10 ring is only slightly larger than a 22 bullet. Perfect scores were common. Ties are broken with number of Xs, and 5 or so Xs were needed to be competitive for a winning position. Now granted, this is with match rifles, palm rests, and micrometer sights and not a rimfire lever action, but I have seen many rimfire lever actions that would be capable of doimg fairly well on those targets from a bench. I just don't think that's what the designers of this match had in mind.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:59 PM   #7
Armchair Bronco

All I know is this: my boys and I can't wait to get out to the range next weekend, get warmed up with some swingers @ 50 yards, and then break out the Black Death Targets for some quality father/son 3-way competition!

At the end of the day, I think *THAT'S* what the designers of the BDT had in mind.

The boys and I both said that this game reminds us a little of Crokinole in which users shoot wooden discs with their fingers, attempting to get a bullseye at the center of a large, round wooden board.

In Crokinole, the person who goes last has a huge advantage (it's called "The Hammer Shot") because he knows exactly how many points he needs to score in order to win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crokinole

Last edited by Armchair Bronco; February 4, 2013 at 04:07 PM.