The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 11:35 PM   #1
valleyforge.1777

Can a Weatherby semi-auto 20 g with chambered round fire accidentally if dropped?

I've heard that home defense shotguns should never be stored with a round in the chamber because the inertia firing pin can bounce against the primer in the chambered shell if the rifle is put down quickly on the end of the butt stock or if it is dropped. Is this true even if the safety is on?

I have a 20 gauge Weatherby semi-auto. It has a mag tube capacity of 4 rounds of 3 inch magnum (#2 Buck) or it has a capacity of 5 rounds of 2 3/4 inch shells (#3 Buck). I want to use the magnum shells with #2 buck but I am not happy about being limited to only 4 rounds. If I chamber a round, I'd get a total of 5 rounds, but I am wondering if that would be unsafe, to leave the shotgun with a chambered round. If I did leave it that way, I'd put the safety on SAFE (it is located on the trigger guard). Is this safe, does it accomplish anything with regard to the firing pin bouncing onto the primer if I put the safety on if there is a round chambered? Or, should I never leave it with a round chambered?

Remember, this is a semi-auto, so there will be no "racking the shotgun to make scary sounds to scare off the bad guy." It is a semi-auto.

Thanks
Old January 29, 2013, 12:27 AM   #2
the rifleer

Racking a semi auto sounds similar to a pump.

It would only fire if the hammer dropped and hit the pin. If you have a free floating firing pin, you will not set off the gun by having that pin slide. It just is not going to happen. You have to actually hit the primer, not just touch it. Primers actually aren't that sensitive. Like I said, you have to actually hit it.

That's why if you have a firing pin that isn't adjusted properly you will get unreliable firing. It will hit the primer and even make a dent in it, but it doesn't hit hard enough to set the primer off. I have this happen with my k31 when it gets sand in it. I try hard to keep it clean, but in the desert its impossible if the wind is blowing. my k31 really doesn't like sand at all.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Virginian

Anything is possible with practically any mechanical device. Nevertheless, I store whatever weapon I am depending on as my first line of defense fully locked and loaded. If it is my shotgun, they will have to be really alert to hear that soft snick of the safety going off before all the lights go out. I usually employ a revolver.