The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 27, 2013, 12:55 AM   #1
DeerSlayer86

AA+ walnut vs AA+ French??

Anyone have any pics of the difference of these 2? Cooper, in the Jackson Game, comes in a AA+ American walnut but offers AA+ French for $300. Or you can go from AA+ to AAA (American) for $350. Soooo is there enough difference in wood, the lines,figure,color,etc...to do one of the upgrades?? I'm a sucker for a nice piece of furniture but is the difference worth it? Pictures would be great if anyone actually has one...I've "google imaged" about all I can handle
Old January 27, 2013, 01:07 AM   #2
alex0535

If they won't send you pictures of both of them, I wouldn't shell out another $350. If wherever your looking at is a sensible company, its in their better interest to email you pictures if your willing to spend that money on better wood. Just send them a simple email and ask.

Last edited by alex0535; January 27, 2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:17 AM   #3
Scorch

A nice piece of French or English walnut is spectacular, and Cooper puts nice wood on their rifles. So I would say yes, it could be worth it, but then I am also a sucker for a nice piece of wood. Most important thing I would recommend is to choose whether you like the color of French walnut as compared to American walnut, the biggest difference being the contrasty grain and "checkerboard" figure in the French variety.

I am currently checkering an English walnut stock that my customer bought from someone who thought it was Claro (I don't know how someone could confuse the two), and it is nothing short of spectacular, with light grain and dark marbling mixed with fiddleback throughout. I would love to own a stock like that, and he didn't even know what he had.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:13 AM   #4
DeerSlayer86

Alex

I actually already did that and the woman I spoke with, Michelle, said they don't do that and just look at the site. Another guy told me I'd have better luck if I spoke directly to the gunsmith so ill try that tomorrow
Old January 27, 2013, 12:35 PM   #5
603Country

I'd probably just have to find a reason to go to the Cooper location and handpick the wood I wanted. I handpicked a Sako years ago and it has a beautiful stock. I should mention that I didn't go to Finland, but went to a gunstore that had a real big supply of that particular rifle. I had em drag all the rifles out and take them out of the boxes so that I could pick. For that much money, I just felt like I had the right to pick the one I wanted.