The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 23, 2013, 03:24 PM   #26
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
As much as it alarms me to say it, but I would probably be every tempted to trade my Colt Combat Commander for a Sig 1911...I was that impressed with the Scorpion.

On that note...I'll rest my case. It's alright, my SIG 1911 xo outperformed my Colts too.
Old January 23, 2013, 04:58 PM   #27
dgludwig

Quote:
Colt has fewer MIM parts
Do you like their plastic mainspring housing?
Old January 23, 2013, 07:36 PM   #28
Mystro

1911 ='s Kimber. P series ='s Sig Sauer. Both are awsome for what guns they do best.

MIM parts when done correctly is a advantage, not a negative. How this MIM misinformation can keep spreading as only a negative is tiresome.

This gun will out shot both my IPSC custom limited guns.

This about as accurate as any double stack I have ever shot.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; January 23, 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:05 PM   #29
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Ruger SR1911 or its new stable mate, the Commander length.
Ruger's making a Commander now? Crap, time for another 1911.

Don't own a SIG, but carry a Kimber UCDP. (The most maligned length) Never an issue in 10 years of carry. Love it.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:49 PM   #30
coop2564

I have both and Love both. Either will do the job.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:40 PM   #31
Verbal Clint

SSSSSIIIIIGGGGGG!!!!
I don't have much experience with Kimber, but I have a love affair with Sig. The Sig 1911 Ultra is the only sub-4" 1911 I would carry, and the 226 is a solid pierce of work IMO.
Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe."
Old January 26, 2013, 01:07 PM   #32
coolbreezy

I traded my kimber for a Sig 1911 tacpac, haven't looked back since. The kimber was a great gun, but the kimber was tired and had several thousand rounds down the pipe. I had an opportunity to trade for a lnib Sig and I took off like a thief. The Sig is every bit as good as my kimber. Don't believe the hype about kimber being a bad gun, because of mindless internet banter.
S&W highway patrolman 28-2/ Springfield mil spec 1911 (semi custom)/ Sig P220 match elite .45 acp/Kimber micro 9 stainless/ Remington 870 tac14/ Taurus pt22/ S&W 629-1 3" .44 mag/ S&W 629 PC V-Comp/ Beretta M9/ Stevens/Savage 311A 12 ga double bbl/ Magnum research Desert Eagle XIX .44 mag/ S&W 460 xvr/ Glock g40 10mm longslide/ H&K usp compact .45 acp/ Ruger SuperBlackhawk Lipsey Edition/ S&W 686+ 3-5-7 talo edition
Old January 26, 2013, 08:38 PM   #33
pat701

SIG, why take a gamble with Kimber!!
Old January 28, 2013, 03:51 AM   #34
thinktwice

You hear more Kimber problems because they sell more pistols than all the other manufacturers put together. So naturally you are going to hear more complaints because of this. I have Kimber's , Colt's and Springfield's. So I am not just partial to Kimber's. I am just one of the ones that has never had problems with any of my Kimber's.
Old January 28, 2013, 04:12 AM   #35
Noreaster

Another perspective; Boston PD special operations chose the Sig 1911 (the issued duty gun for the rest of BPD is Glock,) MA State Police STOP team chose the S&W 1911 (at the time the rank and file troopers were issued Sig 226 but have since gone to M&P 45.) The firearms guys in both those units are top notch and are not influenced by anything but results. So out of your two I would be very confident with the Sig 1911.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:19 AM   #36
TacticalDefense1911

Out of those two choices I'd say go with the Sig. Better quality control and better small parts then the Kimber at a lower price. The Sigs aren't perfect though. The geometry of the external extractor is off. The EE is positioned too high and does not allow proper contact of the extractor claw on the case rim. This tends to lead to erratic ejection patterns. The gun may still run but the extractor is not optimal.

A better choice in the same price range would be the S&W E-series. Other then the external extractor that must be sent to Smith to be serviced they are a good gun for the money. If you could stand to go up in price range the Colt XSE or Dan Wesson Heritage are both good guns with the Dan Wessons build quality being the best at that price point that I have seen.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:22 AM   #37
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
Forget the advertising hype and inflated prices for guns that may or may not work for CCW, RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX AS THEY SHOULD, and get a Ruger SR1911 or its new stable mate, the Commander length. Of all the .45's I've owned over the years, most of them Colts, and all of them tricked out or gun-smithed to one extent or another, the Ruger SR1911 is the best. Here's a pic from its first day on the line. And it came with all the features you'd want on a good carry piece, with none of the mall ninja, arm chair commando BS.
The same thing could be said about the Ruger. They are not perfect out of the box and I have yet to see anyone with a substantial round count on one. Long term durability is still in question given the less expensive small parts used. Don't get me wrong, they are still a solid gun for the money but there are better guns available for not that much more money.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:36 AM   #38
RamItOne

Ron Cohen has tainted both

I do love my sig 1911 match elite other than the ambi safety fiasco that took a half dozen trips to Exeter.

Kimber seems to be a puppy mill for 1911, I do know someone with one at it appears to be of fine quality.
Between the two, Sig, but also consider the SA loaded, that's nice as well.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 28, 2013, 06:38 PM   #39
erhodes

I actually just bought a Sig 1911 carry scorpion a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it! The mags that it came with caused some feed issues but I switched to wilson combat mags and have not had a problem for the last 500 rounds that I have fired. I will add that it is one of the most accurate out of the box 1911's that I have owned. Slide to frame fit has no wobble what so ever and the barrel also does not rattle at all. I have owned springfields and shot many kimbers and would not trade my sig for either. I do love springfields though.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:27 PM   #40
shootniron

Kimber
Old January 29, 2013, 07:03 PM   #41
whippoorwill

Gotta love the comments from those who have no experience with either. I'll never understand that, unless it's simply some need to be part of a conversation.

I currently have both, as well as Dan Wessons, Colts, and Remington. In the past, I've also had Springfield. I may be forgetting something. Of the two mentioned by the OP (Kimber and Sig), both are lovely, accurate, and reliable. The Kimbers have had a slight edge on fit and finish over Sig, in my experience. You should feel confident purchasing either one. Oh, a few posters have mentioned Colt. Obviously another fime 1911, and I love my Colts. I prefer Kimber and Sig a tiny bit more. YMMV
Old January 29, 2013, 07:11 PM   #42
AndyWest

Love my SIG 1911 STX. I don't have a better picture than unboxing from my crap cell cam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STX.jpg (90.5 KB, 16 views)
Old January 29, 2013, 07:19 PM   #43
WVsig

Either way you are getting a Cohen inspired gun.... Do you want to buy one from the company whose rep he already ruined or the one he is currently ruining? My personal choice is neither but YMMV.

Quote:
MIM parts when done correctly is a advantage, not a negative. How this MIM misinformation can keep spreading as only a negative is tiresome.
They are a advantage for the manufacturer because they reduce cost which may or may not be passed on to the consumer. IMHO it is a crime the price Kimber charges for their pretty MIM filled guns. MIM done right is a perfect example of the good enough to get the job done mentality that dominated Kimbers philosophy and now dominates Sigs. MIM in and of itself is not the issue it is the philosophy behind its introduction. It was not introduced to make the pistol better it was introduced to make it cheaper to manufacture. It is a perfect example of what I call the "pinto principle"....
Old January 31, 2013, 08:20 AM   #44
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDefense1911 View Post
Out of those two choices I'd say go with the Sig. Better quality control and better small parts then the Kimber at a lower price. The Sigs aren't perfect though. The geometry of the external extractor is off. The EE is positioned too high and does not allow proper contact of the extractor claw on the case rim. This tends to lead to erratic ejection patterns. The gun may still run but the extractor is not optimal.
Yeah. That's so not true. Don't know where you conjured this one up from. It's borderline comical.

Wish I had a slow motion option. My SIG 1911 XO ejects brass in a neat pile. And really strong. My friends tac-ops? Same thing and his brothers scorpion, also the same thing.

So that's a really false claim. And if just one did it, what's to say they all do it? By that notion all 1911's from Rock Island to Wilson Combat are horrible for reasons X, Y, Z.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:15 PM   #45
TacticalDefense1911

Constantine, I've had personal experiences with multiple Sig 1911's that displayed erratic ejection. Not just "my buddies gun and his brothers gun". There is an issue, even though alot of the guns will function. You can read the 10-8 Performace article and make your own decision. They seem to know a thing or two about 1911's http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=1697
Old January 31, 2013, 03:21 PM   #46
Skans

Kimbers are pretty. But, I like the quality that SIG puts out.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:45 PM   #47
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDefense1911

Yeah. That's so not true.
I agree with Constantine. In my experience with SIG pistols, including the 1911 iteration, the idea that "the geometry of the external extractor is off" has absolutely no merit in a general sense, imo. In a specific sense, I can't argue. Any design could have potential problems in terms of execution on an individual pistol but to categorically claim that the SIG external extractor design is intrinsically deficient flies in the face of reality, at least when it comes to the experience I've had with firing many, many SIG pistols.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:52 PM   #48
TacticalDefense1911

Care to explain how your credentials outweigh those of Hilton Yam?
Old January 31, 2013, 07:58 PM   #49
Rinspeed

Quote:
Care to explain how your credentials outweigh those of Hilton Yam?

Maybe you find a different hero.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:08 PM   #50
TacticalDefense1911

Not a hero, just someone who knows more about 1911's then most people.