The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 21, 2005, 01:51 AM   #1
vicvic

stevens 620 pain in my ass

ive been trying to figure it out for months. i cant get it to work. the hammer will cock and release but the slide release stays locked. it must be pushed to rack the slide again after every pull of the trigger. if no one can help me does any one want to buy a stevens 620 parts gun?ive come to hate this gun over the last few monthes. please help me end the hate
Old July 21, 2005, 03:14 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

maybe I can help

It sounds like the action bar lock may be in the wrong position with the trigger bar. The tigger bar needs to be below the action bar lock before the trigger is pulled. When the trigger is pulled it should raise the action bar lock up so the bolt can be worked to cock the gun again. Remove the buttstock firts. This should relieve the strain on the rear trigger group screw. The uncsrew the rear trigger group screw. Then use a punch to drive out the front pin from left to right. The end of the pin should be flattened out enough to make it not go out but one direction. If it thuds when you hit it with a hammer, drive it out from the other side since it may have been put in backwards on you. Pull the trigger group down and out of the gun. Now look at the bar that comes out on the side in the back facing towards the muzzle, this is the trigger bar. It should be underneath the action bar lock which is the bar pointing toward the buttstock. If it is on top of the action bar lock, use a punch to lift it enough to sldie it back under the action bar lock. This should solve the problem for you, if it doesn't, let me know, you might have a broken action bar lock.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:46 PM   #3
kbbmachine

stevens 620 slide release spring assembly

I just got my grandpa's stevens 620 shotgun. I have gone through it, cleaned it, and re- oiled. While doing this I found that the slide release spring that connects to the hammer and the slide release is broken. Because of this when the gun is fired the slide doesn't release itself automatically.
If I understand the way this gun works correctly the idea is that when the hammer strikes the firing pin the spring pushes the slide release and allows the pump action to occur automatically, without pushing the slide release tab by the trigger guard. I have bought a new spring, however because the existing one is snapped I am unsure how it re-assembles. On the slide release mechanism there are two rivets that have a guard on them, I think the spring pushes down on them. Does the spring go above one of the rivets or both? Or am i completely wrong, please help, thanks.. A picture of one properly assembled may be all I need I have searched but can't find any.
Old January 20, 2013, 04:46 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
You probably have a broken lock spring . They are available from GunPartsCorp . Don't buy just one , there's a trick to installing them and you will probably break the first one . Now with that being said , they are the cheapest POS shotgun that there ever was !