The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
tristar viper

At the range today...

I rented some guns. Been wanting a single stack 9mm. So I rented the
Sig P290 and the Kahr PM9. I also rented an HK USP 9mm compact, which of course is something totally different, but nevertheless its a gun on my short list.
First, I thought the Sig sucked. The trigger is terrible. Now, what I will say is that the gun I shot was not an RS. This gun was the original version of the 290 and the trigger was terrible. It was long, it was far from smooth, and there was absolutely no sense of when it would go off. I was supremely disappointed. This was a gun I thought I wanted to buy.
The Kahr PM9 was better, but still far from anything to brag about. This gun has some kind of a sharp edge on the top side of the trigger housing, and every time I pulled the trigger to the most rearward position, something dug into my finger and had I shot the gun much more, I think my finger would have been bleeding. Poor design somehow, no one should feel that in a gun. Actually this gun shot better the Sig, but I was far from impressed.
Then there was the HK USP, which yes is a totally different animal. With no hesitation I can say this was one of the finest pistols I ever shot, and if 1000 dollar bills grew on trees I would buy one tomorrow. This gun blew me away with the excellent trigger, the superb accuracy, and the minimal recoil. I dare go as far as to say this gun shoots better than my P226. I was very impressed.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:59 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Quote:
Then there was the HK USP, which yes is a totally different animal. With no hesitation I can say this was one of the finest pistols I ever shot, and if 1000 dollar bills grew on trees I would buy one tomorrow. This gun blew me away with the excellent trigger, the superb accuracy, and the minimal recoil. I dare go as far as to say this gun shoots better than my P226. I was very impressed.
First off let me say I like both SIGs and HKs. That said I think most people end up liking one over the other. I started as a SIG owner and switched over to HK. They're both awesome firearms. If you did really like it that much, used USP compacts could once be found in the $600-$700 range and usually still have more life left in them than the owner . However, with the recent craziness anything 9mm has pretty much vanished . Still might be worth checking gunbroker.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 20, 2013, 12:20 AM   #3
BarryLee

Quote:
If you did really like it that much, used USP compacts could once be found in the $600-$700 range and usually still have more life left in them than the owner
Yes, these guns go forever, so a used one might just be the best deal.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 20, 2013, 12:56 AM   #4
tristar viper

The range had a USP compact for sale, but in 40 cal. It is like new. $699, but I don't want a 40. If it were a 9mm I might be all over it.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:29 AM   #5
TunnelRat

Yea like I said 9mms are like ghosts right now, sadly so is the ammo .
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 20, 2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Nanuk

The H&K is a fine pistol, I carried a USP/c or P2000 LEM as a duty gun for about 13 years and 15,000 rounds thru the P2K without a hitch. I am an H&K armorer and they are built very well, but since I retired I carry Glocks.

The Glock is smaller, lighter, higher cap, robust aftermarket. I carried a Sig 226 for a couple of years and it is a fine pistol as well.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:51 PM   #7
PSP

I shoot Kahrs quite a bit and have yet to experience what you did with it's trigger. Could it have been a polymer spur or nick, I wonder?

HK USPc is one of my all time favorite pistols. Several folks have bought their own after shooting mine. It's a great design. For better concealment, the P2000sk fills the bill, and is just as nice to shoot.
Old January 20, 2013, 03:32 PM   #8
tristar viper

PSP:
Something HAD to be amiss on the Kahr I shot....I am telling you that it was painful and very annoying, whatever caused it. I can't believe (now that I really think about it) that a gun would do something like that unless something out of the ordinary was going on. And if you take that experience out of this equation, then it was no contest, the Kahr blew the Sig away in pretty much every category, IMO.
I can't get that darn USP out of my mind.....been forever a gun has struck me as so awesome.
So the P2000 is just as nice you say? To have each in my hand they don't feel the same, the USP feels much better. The P2000 leaves my last finger kinda dangling off the end of the grip, and I hate that.
Old January 20, 2013, 03:55 PM   #9
915A

Quote:
First, I thought the Sig sucked. The trigger is terrible. Now, what I will say is that the gun I shot was not an RS. This gun was the original version of the 290 and the trigger was terrible. It was long, it was far from smooth, and there was absolutely no sense of when it would go off. I was supremely disappointed. This was a gun I thought I wanted to buy.
From everything I have read and heard from "RS" owners, the RS has a way better trigger. I will let you know WED after we take ours out for the maiden range session.
Old January 20, 2013, 05:58 PM   #10
tristar viper

Please do....I've got every intention of still buying one when things settle down, but if the RS is no different I won't waste my money. But I also have heard the trigger on an RS is lighter and just much better.