The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 8, 2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Pops1085

Vertical foregrip advice

I hate to admit how new I am to the AR-15 platform but I've tried a general google search and haven't found anything solid so I thought I'd try here.
What is the proper way to hold a vfg? Are they really that practical or am I just throwing away money? I tend to do a lot more off hand shooting and the all knowing Internet says they help with recoil but is that really true? What do you think?

Last edited by Pops1085; January 9, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
btmj

VFG = Vertical Forward Grip ??? yes?
Old January 8, 2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Erno86

Use the vertical foregrip as a witness point for your support hand, as it grips the forearm {not the vertical foregrip} ...preferably with your butt of the hand butted up against the forward part of the handle, of the VFG, angled down approx. 45 degrees, with your thumb inline with the barrel --- pointed towards the target --- in order to better control the recoil of the rifle. Check out Magpul's, Travis Haley/Chris Costa on YouTube --- or buy there DVD --- Art of the AR-15.

I like the Vertical Grip Pod {push button bipod with/without steel inserts}. Some three gunners... don't use any VFG's at all. I still like the small stubby one's. You can store equipment or batteries in them...except for the Vertical Grip Pod.

Last edited by Erno86; January 8, 2013 at 06:50 PM.