The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
9mm

A Gun for the beach? 350 or less

Looking for ideas on a beach gun(beater handgun), that doesn't need much love. No ruger lc9 I had one, no good I hate internal locks.

I seen those polish handguns in 9x18 for like $220 are they any good? Looking for a gun I don't mind tossing around and getting sand in, and ruined. Not that I would not clean the gun, just I don't want to ruin a Glock with sand in it.

My other idea is to get a Glock police trade in, beater model. Anyone have experience with these Glocks? Though I can't find anyone selling them at this time.... IF someone knows please let me know, most places are sold out of their police trde ins.

Last edited by 9mm; December 30, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:16 PM   #2
testuser

What about a Bersa Thunder or a (7+1) Bersa Thunder Plus (15+1) both are in .380, lifetime warranty and can be purchased new for less than $350. Otherwise, I'd say a Makarov in 9X18mm or .380, CZ-82/CZ-83, or a used S&W revolver.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:34 PM   #3
9mm

Trying to avoid 380's, but yes the CZ 9x18 is what I thinking about too.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:39 PM   #4
B. Lahey

Here is my experience with beach-guns:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ighlight=beach

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ighlight=beach
Old December 30, 2012, 07:58 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have never shot a beach, though there have been a few sons of beaches that .... Never mind.

Why not carry the gun in a Zip-Loc bag? You won't have to clean it unless you have to shoot through the bag.

Jim
Old December 30, 2012, 10:03 PM   #6
chaim

Before reading B. Lahey's old threads posted here I was thinking the largest gun you can stand for the beach, after reading them, I am thinking that even more strongly.

Smaller guns, especially the micro-9's, can be temperamental. If anything isn't quite right, they may not function properly. Probably any service sized pistol from any of the major manufacturers will work decently. Of course, those are too big for easy CCW in any circumstances, at the beach, forget it.

As already mentioned, the smaller Eastern Bloc service pistols may work. A CZ 82, Mak, or the Polish P-64 should be barely small enough for beach carry (the P 64 is probably the smallest of the bunch), the 9x18mm round isn't too bad in power, and they should be incredibly reliable.

The Bersa Thunder that was mentioned is probably a good choice. I had a Bersa .380 and it was a terrific gun (reliable, fun, accurate).

Glock used to do those torture tests when they first came out to prove that a polymer gun could be durable. They are ugly (or functional depending upon how you see it), so some wear from beach use won't be a big deal.

SIGs look functional (so some exterior scratching doesn't matter), they are reliable, and accurate. A 239, 250SC or 290 may be a good option. I love my 290. I'm sold on the 250 and I'm currently in the market for one in either .40 or .45 (they are quite inexpensive, and the modular aspect is nice).

If you want to go reliable but inexpensive in case it gets messed up at the beach, I've had good luck with my 2nd generation Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro. Of course, they do have a built in lock.

Even as a revolver guy, I'm thinking a revolver may not be a good candidate. Sandy conditions seem like they don't mix well with a revolver, I can definitely see it binding when a few grains of sand get where they don't belong.

Other than function, I wouldn't worry too much though. Sand won't ruin any quality handgun unless you shoot a lot of rounds with it full of sand (and even then it might be fine). Even if you fell in the ocean with it, I'm sure if you cleaned it shortly after coming home you'd be fine. The salt in the air from the salt water can be a problem, but that just means you need to wipe it down more often (maybe everyday), and a polymer frame and/or stainless may be a good option.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:06 PM   #7
9mm

Quote:
Why not carry the gun in a Zip-Loc bag? You won't have to clean it unless you have to shoot through the bag.
I do, I keep a j frame in a otter box in my bag and a smaller one on me. Maybe I should look more into the Bersa 9mmcompact, it's a little bit bigger but could be my beater for on the sand. I have heard tons of great things from Bersa.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:27 PM   #8
power5

HiPoint. Who cares what happens to it. When season is over, tell them its gritty and send it back and they will clean it for you.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Mrgunsngear

CZ82. Reliable and $189 at JG now. Tough to beat that. It won't care about the sand....
Old December 31, 2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Hook686

How about a derringer ... small, light and limited moving parts to jam. How many shots do you think you are going to need ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 31, 2012, 12:29 AM   #11
Sport45

Quote:
I don't want to ruin a Glock with sand in it.
I thought Glocks were supposed to thrive in this type of an environment. That was what I was going to suggest even though I don't own one.

Truth is, just about any gun will do for what you want as long as it's not a familiy heirloom or something. Otherwise, it's just a gun. Use it and accept whatever wear and tear happens.

Last edited by Sport45; December 31, 2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old December 31, 2012, 12:46 AM   #12
Water-Man

Ruger P95.
Old December 31, 2012, 03:14 AM   #13
ClydeFrog

Glocks; sand-desert conditions, M9/M9a1....

I've heard & read posts from a few SW Asia combat veterans/PMCs that Glocks have major problems with sand-desert conditions. I'm not quite sure a Glock pistol would be ideal for the hot weather or sandy conditions.
The elite SAS(Special Air Service) of Great Britian selected the SIG-Sauer models(P226R/P228R/P220R) over Glocks saying they held up better in T&Es.

If it were me, I'd look at a used M9 or LE trade-in Beretta 9x19mm/.40S&W, model 92/96FS. Beretta service size pistols have been around since 1985 or so and many US police agencies have started to turn them in or adopt newer models(M&Ps, HK, Glock, etc).
The open slide design won't trap sand or grit but it may get a lot hotter with +P/+P+ rounds. The older 92F/92FS pistols are easy to clean & service too with a good CLP like Gunzilla or LPX.
I wouldn't go with any caliber smaller than a 9x19(9mmNATO) for a "beater" gun. You'd want a firearm that could protect you in a critical incident & function properly. I don't know how you'd defend or explain a old, worn out firearm in a small caliber in open court.
You could find a used Taurus PT92 or .40S&W(PT100) too.

Clyde
Old December 31, 2012, 03:27 AM   #14
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog
I don't know how you'd defend or explain a old, worn out firearm in a small caliber in open court.
I can't imagine why you would ever have to.

There's no minimum price (or caliber) requirements for self defense handguns that I'm aware of.
Old December 31, 2012, 03:33 AM   #15
warningshot

When a LC9 has too many gizmos on it

It's time for a ruskie 9X18. You bet.

Let's see here...chips...beer... soda... sunscreen... Markarov... towels... umbrella...spare magazine
Old December 31, 2012, 04:35 AM   #16
GrailKnight

I have one of those Polish guns or a P-64 which is what I believe you are referring to. It is one well made pistol in 9x18 Makarov.

Accuracy is excellent, take down is about the same as a Walther PPK, fixed barrel, does not mind dirt but have not played in a sandbox with it.

I paid $179 for it last year.

Excellent firearm.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:59 AM   #17
Redhawk5.5+P+

Handguns: General Handgun Forum

This is not in the semi forum. TBS a revolver, next question!

Quote:
9mm

9mm, are you just board?
Old December 31, 2012, 06:21 AM   #18
Glenn Dee

Why do you need a gun at the beach? Someone kicks sand in your face?... On a deserted beach, maybe at night?.... I'd be more concerned that my gun was well secured in my car. I might bring a can of pepper spray... The beach IMO is a bad place for a gun... you cant go in the water, where would you concieal it? The beach is a bad place FOR the fun... sand salt water saltwater air... ahhhh I'll be leaving mine in the car...
Old December 31, 2012, 08:20 AM   #19
ClydeFrog

Sport45's post; my reply...

To answer the posted ?, a firearm is not a prop, toy or fashion statement.
It's a lethal weapon that can kill or injury someone.
It would be difficult for a jury or judge in open court to accept the "I bought a cheap, worn out gun." excuse in a use of force shooting.
You'd also need to make sure the pistol worked correctly, so if you are in a lethal force event, you are not killed.
A "beater" car make break down & cost you $$$. A beater gun may get you killed.

CF
Old December 31, 2012, 09:40 AM   #20
Sport45

Quote:
To answer the posted ?, a firearm is not a prop, toy or fashion statement.
It's a lethal weapon that can kill or injury someone.
It would be difficult for a jury or judge in open court to accept the "I bought a cheap, worn out gun." excuse in a use of force shooting.
Okay, so what's the minimum amout of money one should have to spend to defend himself? If a man can only afford $100 for a used, "cheap" gun he's out of luck?

That's like assigning a poll tax to our 2nd Amendment rights. I would never support anything like that.

Quote:
You'd also need to make sure the pistol worked correctly, so if you are in a lethal force event, you are not killed.
A "beater" car make break down & cost you $$$. A beater gun may get you killed.
Not everyone can afford to carry a Wilson Combat 1911 nor should they be forced to. I agree you should carry something you have confidence in or at least the best you can afford and still feed your family. I wouldn't knock anyone for carrying an old RG revolver if that's all they could afford.

If the shooting's good the jury isn't going to care one whit about the gun. I can't imagine why you think they would. Heck, if anything the shooter would be giving the perpetrator a better chance.

But that's court. I can see it being difficult to explain to your children why you couldn't protect their mom because the gun you cheaped out on didn't work. I do support getting the best you can afford when money is a concern.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:52 AM   #21
kraigwy

Proven time and time again to work in sand, snow, ice, mud, dust, rain, or just any conditions you can throw at it. All over the world.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 31, 2012, 10:13 AM   #22
Bob Wright

For the beach?

What could a would-be robber expect to get?

Bob Wright
Old December 31, 2012, 10:27 AM   #23
Sport45

Quote:
What could a would-be robber expect to get?
Maybe your daughter or wife?
Old December 31, 2012, 10:40 AM   #24
Wyosmith

We have no beaches here, so I am not sure what you are talking about exactly. Right now it's -17 degrees so swim trunks don't get much consideration.
I believe you mean a gun to carry in a bag while you are in swim trunks. Am I correct?

If that is the case, maybe what you need is an AK-47 with a folding stock? One with a short magazine carries nicely in a bag, and they run in sandy conditions very well.
Old December 31, 2012, 12:03 PM   #25
qwiksdraw

You get a Makarov and you won't want that one to get messed up either.