The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
rebs

how many rounds and how much reloading supplies do you have

You guys that reload, how many loaded rounds do you have and how much reloading supplies do you have to load more for your AR's ?
Old December 16, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I do not load for an AR. I load .223 Rem for a bolt action Savage Long Range Model 12.

I have a 2 gal. wash pail full of prepped brass. Prime, and load ready.
I have 500 fire formed cases. I load up 100 at a time. Fire them till they need trimming then toss to the recycle bucket.

Bullets I have 500 55 grain V-Max bullets.

Powder 2 pounds of H-335, 1 pound each of Varget, and Reloader 15. 1 pound of Accurate Arms 2015 (that one is used more for my .221 Fire ball. As well as the pound of Reloader 7.

200 rounds of loaded, and ready to go ammo. I fired 50 rounds today at the range.
Old December 16, 2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Dave P

I have a few here, and a few there. Why do you ask??

Are you BATF??
Old December 16, 2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

I don't have any ARs. I only have enough reloading stuff to last until the next time I place an order. I do have a few rounds loaded for range trips.
Old December 16, 2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Magnum Mike

Not as much as I would like to have!
Old December 16, 2012, 07:02 PM   #6
JimDandy

It depends on how much you shoot. I imagine most folks have on hand one to three months of shooting in raw components.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:20 PM   #7
DeadCenter

A lot, but not enough, never have enough
Old December 16, 2012, 09:15 PM   #8
rebs

I ask because I was wondering if you guys are stocking up in case of another AWB, higher prices on reloading supplies, new tax on ammo and reloading supplies. I have enough to load about 1000 rounds.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:03 PM   #9
wet

I haven't worried about new laws in the past. I ususlly stock up on primers and powder during feburary sales, powder two LBs. for most small rounds and five LBs. for most rifle rounds that I use the most. I try and keep at least 1000 primers each of small pistol, large pistol, small rifle, small rifle mag, large rifle, & large rifle mag, Small pistol I buy 5000 every time I get the opportunity. If the gov trys to control ammunition I think it will be through primers. I buy some bullets in bulk, and some just as needed.
Most rounds I have from hundreds to thousands, it gives me an excuse to go to the range, (need to rotate stock).
Old December 16, 2012, 10:42 PM   #10
Misssissippi Dave

The price of ammo and reloading components are always going up for one reason or another. I don't recall the price ever really going down. You can try to lock in today's price if you have the money to do it. If you already know just what powder/bullet/primer combination is the best for what you want to do that is fine. When you are still working out the best combinations then it might not make sense to order a bunch of stuff that you don't really want to use later.

I shoot a lot of pistol ammo. 1000 rounds on the shelf or ready to be loaded doesn't seem like enough for me. I prefer to have more than a 30 day supply. For some people that is more than enough to last a year or more. I have two more loads at the moment I would like to improve so I haven't stocked much for them. I wouldn't try to stock pile reloading stuff unless you are very happy with the loads you have developed. I have thought about using lead for a revolver. Since shooting lead shouldn't be mixed with jacketed, I might have to put that off until I buy another revolver to shoot lead in.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:34 AM   #11
Ronlyke

Quote Mississippi Dave "Since shooting lead shouldn't be mixed with jacketed, I might have to put that off until I buy another revolver to shoot lead in."

Why not?
Old December 17, 2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Shootest

A butt load, and a butt load waiting to be loaded.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:58 AM   #13
jmorris

Quote:
I ask because I was wondering if you guys are stocking up in case of another AWB, higher prices on reloading supplies, new tax on ammo and reloading supplies. I have enough to load about 1000 rounds.
I shoot competitive pistol matches every week, and go through 20k a year for that easy. Having only 1000 rounds of supply's would be silly. Not to mention more expensive buying such small amounts.

I have some supply's before the old AWB, during and after. It is interesting to note components were cheaper during the AWB than they are now. So with that, regulars less of what happens in the future, you can expect higher prices.
Old December 19, 2012, 01:12 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

I'm set up to reload for over 30 different rifle and handgun cartridges, and since I've generally been "stocking up" (buying more components than I use up each cycle) since the early 1980s, I have a bit of stuff on hand at the moment.

Probably should do some inventory, its been years since I did any, but I feel fairly confidant that I could put together a few thousands rounds of mixed calbers from stock on hand...hmm, I need some more primers......
Old December 19, 2012, 06:20 AM   #15
rebs

I just ordered 8 lbs of powder, 1000 primers and 1000 bullets to go with what I have on hand. I feel comfortable that what I have will keep me shooting for quite a while.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:04 AM   #16
4runnerman

Lets say If I started loading today,One week from now I would still be Loading. Boss from work came over last week to pick up his rifle I mounted a scope for and sighted in for him. Steps into my reloading room and the first thing he say's-- It looks like Scheels in here.. I pick up something everytime i go to the store,be it primers or powder or bullets and brass. With winter here I don't shoot as much,so the Shelves here are piling up.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:20 AM   #17
DiscoRacing

ya got snow 4runner??...

I heard it was supposed to be a wild snow last night in wisc.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:06 AM   #18
Sport45

Quote:
how many rounds and how much reloading supplies do you have
Not quite enough.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:28 AM   #19
hounddawg

every time I think I have enough I make a trip to the range and darned if I don't need more. Seriously I keep enough loaded to be able to do a range trip, I have 100 rounds of .223 loaded as of right now. I always seem to need pistol bullets and .22's though. Those are what I go through the most, it's pretty easy to shoot 500 - 1000 pistol rounds and or 22's a month.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:31 AM   #20
solocam72

Enough to get by
Old December 19, 2012, 08:53 AM   #21
fishbones182

keep enough on hand to keep you stocked so you can order more before you really need too. If the government outlawed powder or primers well find away around it. Maybe convert the 30-06 to ignite the powder with an electric spark instead. Make your own black powder to load with if I had too. That would be my first try.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:00 AM   #22
schmellba99

Enough to last a while, but not nearly enough to feel comfortable.

I'm shy on powder right now as I used up my last 8lb keg the other day loading up a bunch of AR rounds. Need to find some WC844 and get a few kegs so that i'm good on that for a while.

"Santa" is bringing me 10k small rifle primers for Christmas, so I'm good there for a while. Need to find some small pistol and large pistol more than anything right now.

I have a solid source of projectiles for pistol right around the corner from me, so only some rifle needs as far as projectiles go. I have enough brass to feed a small army, even in calibers I don't shoot.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:13 PM   #23
oldpapps

The answer is never enough.

But for me building a supply, large or small, isn't very beneficial.

My enjoyment is putting together a weapon and tailoring rounds for that weapon. I may eat up 20 to 200 cases in the process but when I have played and tested with that weapon, I trade or sell it to fund my next toy. I normally keep the dies/head holder but the loaded stuff goes with the weapon. Some times I will keep the scope if it has one, some times not.

Different weapons need different components, so I try to limit the types of powder I use. Primers and common bullets I try to buy in bulk.

So at any one time I may have 2 hundred rounds for a weapon. And the next week, none. My hobby doesn't suffer.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old December 19, 2012, 01:22 PM   #24
4runnerman

Discoracing--Just enough for a White Christmas.. Our big blizzard for last night turned into a few flurries only-AGAIN...Wheather men are on the ball this year
Old December 21, 2012, 11:57 AM   #25
floydster

I have 26 rounds of 9mm loaded and 1/2 lb. Bullseye powder and 127 primers, and 51 berry's 124 gr. bullets.