The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 6, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Nitecapt

Here's why we can't allow ANY legislation banning certain guns

The problem is with definitions. To put it as succinctly as possible, once you allow a ban on a certain type of weapon, let's say "assault", the definition of that weapon can be amended or altered much more easily by the powers that be without significant legislative process. So those who say "OK, lets agree to let the government ban this type" (and there are some amongst us that may agree to that) there is no guarantee that the definition may become more liberalized as time goes on.
Please keep this in the forefront of your discussions when speaking with others about this. You may want to point to Social Security as an example. It started for the benefit of retirees, until the government passed legislation liberalizing what they could do with the money, including using it to reconstruct Germany after WWII. After that it was open season to rob from it as they saw fit.

Take the "Right of Free Speech". Certainly there are many things that are said that we all find objectionable. There had at one time been discussion about banning the "N" word, but the public was aware enough not to allow the government to do that. Why? Because as offensive as that may be, if you open the door to allow the government the option of banning one word, you have opened the door to them banning other words and NO ONE trusts the government with that power any more than we can trust them to be prudent with gun control.

We will not win this battle with slogans like "guns don't kill people, only people kill people" or "Blaming guns on killing is like blaming pencils for spelling errors". There are in many ways correct, but people have kissed off these slogans. We need to appeal to their own mistrust of the government and how much power they are willing to grant the government.

Thank you and I will now remove myself from my soap box.
Ray

Last edited by Nitecapt; January 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Hal

Quote:
Because as offensive as that may be, if you open the door to allow the government the option of banning one word, you have opened the door to them banning other words and NO ONE trusts the government with that power any more than we can trust them to be prudent with gun control.
Check again...
A number of states have already made it illegal to use the word "retarded".

Obama passd "Rosa's Law" in 2010...

So - yes - banning "words" is already being done & yes - I fully expect other "words" to follow & yes - I fully expect to see the ban(s) extend past only the .gov agencies and documentation where it applies now.
Presently, the ban on the word "retarded" only applies to local/state/federal employees and documentation.
(Don't fret - the "word police" are coming to get you of you call someone a "retard". However, if you work for a .gov agency and do it, expect to be diciplined - to one degree or another,,,,depending).

That still doesn't mean that at some point down the road,,,such a ban/law won't come into being that does effect nearly everyone.

That's exactly how drug testing in the workplace got started.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:30 PM   #3
MLeake

I wonder if 1984 is still required reading in high school?

If it is, one would hope our younger generation would realize that outlawing words is destined to lead to double-plus-ungood ends.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:40 PM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
I wonder if 1984 is still required reading in high school?
I asked my nieces that very question a few months back and they had never heard of Orwell, Animal Farm or 1984. One of them showed me a book of essays they were using and the one that caught my eye was by Cornel West.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 7, 2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Nitecapt

I feel like the lunatics have taken over the asylum

Murders occur and guns are blamed, people jump off bridges and the lack of fences are blamed, people resort to violence and movies are blamed. Someone rides a motorcycle into a tree and the blame is placed on cycles built to go too fast. Bartenders are blamed for the person who over indulges and goes out driving and killing someone. I am tired of people finding excuses for bad behavior. Now to top it off, I'm hearing that Kansas is seeking to make a sperm donor pay child support.
I am convinced that we are bearing witness to the collapse of our society.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Dr Big Bird PhD

Cornell West is a monster
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 7, 2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Closed - wonder why?