The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 20, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1
mongoslow

Hi im jack and im a recoil junkie

I have always liked pulling the trigger on the big boys and feeling that thump in the shoulder while watching my target blow apart.
12ga., 10ga., .338 win-mag., .416 rigby, .45-70, .458 win-mag., they have all brought a smile to my face. There are 2 more i want to drop the hammer on that just make me drool a .460 weatherby and any bolt action .50 BMG, so if you have one that needs shot let me know i will pay for the ammo .
It would also be awesome to get a crack at one of the big double Nitro Express guns , "i will be your friend forever"
So anybody else share my affliction
Old December 20, 2012, 08:27 PM   #2
boattale

Nope. Not recoil averse but not a pain junkie.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3
reynolds357

I am a muzzle brake junkie myself. My 7mm-08 has an aggressive brake on it.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:34 PM   #4
PatientWolf

I have a real mean 10/22.
Old December 20, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
pabuckslayer08

You know, come to think of it I always smile when I touch off a heavy load. I too plan on shooting or owning a 50bmg at some point in my life. Those Sig 50s look so nice but theres no way I can afford to shoot it on a regular basis
Old December 20, 2012, 09:27 PM   #6
mongoslow

i had an m88 tracked recovery vehicle ( tank wrecker ) while i was in the army, the M2 Browning (maw deuce) was mounted on it for a weapon so i had to qualify with it a couple times a year. loved shooting that big rocking beast
i cant afford the big boys either but i like it when sombody offers to let me shoot one and i always try to pay for the ammo i shoot
Old December 20, 2012, 09:44 PM   #7
CCCLVII

When I was young I liked recoil. Now that I am older I enjoy shooting less recoiling guns. That said I am not afraid to shoot my 458 Lott if the need arises. It has taken more than a few African game in its time.

Over the past few years my son has gotten me in to shooting with suppressors. Not only do they knock down the noise but they reduce recoil a lot as well. It make those magnum rifle rounds more comfortable to shoot.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:43 PM   #8
tahunua001

another good thumper is 300 weatherby mag, probably not as bad as a 460 weatherby but I still detest it. I did finally find a hunting load I can cope with however, speer deep curls loaded to 300 win mag velocities. now it's little more noticeable than my vintage military bolt guns with metal butt plates.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:52 PM   #9
reynolds357

The 460 is not bad. WBY has good brake on them and they are heavy.
The worst thing I have ever shot was a rem 700 light weight .300 win mag.

Last edited by reynolds357; December 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old December 21, 2012, 10:32 AM   #10
warbirdlover

I can shoot my .300 Win Mag all day off the bench. Got a chance to shoot a .375 H&H (Ruger #1) and that didn't kick any worse then my .300. I don't even think about recoil unless I don't get the rifle craddled right in my shoulder. Then it hurts.

But if I bought a new "kicker" I think I'd have a brake put on it. Makes so much sense.
Old December 21, 2012, 09:31 PM   #11
reynolds357

I have a 300 I can shoot all day, but not the one I mentioned earlier.
Old December 21, 2012, 11:35 PM   #12
Chowder

I don't mind the the heavy thud of 45/70's or other large calibers like that but a 300 win mag is about as snappy as I can enjoy shooting. I can and have shot more powerful rounds to see what it was like just didn't enjoy it as much as my small calibers. One powerful round I did enjoy immensely was a 500 nitro express. A doctor I used to work with owned one and let me take a few shots. It was a beast to shoot but there was something about that double gun that made me grin from ear to ear.
Old December 22, 2012, 12:05 AM   #13
solocam72

Try a .585 Nyati or a .500 A square. I owned a .375 remington ultra mag that was BRUTAL IMO and I've never been a recoil sensitive guy, that .375 RUM was impressive, it would shoot sub moa but I did it in a lead sled with 50 pounds of lead, I wanted the darn thing in the worst way and had no true use for it what so ever, just wanted it! I wanted it in the remington model 700 with 26" barrel, they quit making it in the 26" and went with a 24" I started searching on gun broker and finally found an original new in the box stainless synthetic 26" barrel and the guy had 300 brand new brass that went with it, I bought it for 700.00 shipped to my FFL, I shot several hundred rounds through the gun and can honestly say I had fun with it and it really shot good if you could handle and hang on to it! I let a military guy shoot it and I fully warned him that it kicked hard and darn hard! He gave me the I've shot everything and I understand a hard kicking gun, being a military guy I didn't doubt him but told him I WARNED YA, he let er rip and the scope tattood his forehead, he turned around with blood trickling down his forehead and said a few choice words with WOW that thing kicks! That rifle accounted for a few of them tattoos from guys that wanted to shoot it not fully understanding just how rough I had explained it was. I shot 260 grain bullets in it with 99.0 grains of H-4831, I bought a nice soft recoild pad for it made by limbsaver and it helped a lot but was stil brutal, when I replaced the stock recoil pad I noticed the composite cross member in the pad was broke, I'm sure that must have been from the leadsled, actually it wasn't a genuine sled it was a shooters ridge I believe with a strap across the back and would hold 50 pounds of lead. The novelty finally wore off with the big gun and I sold it.
Old December 22, 2012, 12:15 AM   #14
DallasCMT

OP, you need one of these -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VVOH7Ep_8w
Old December 22, 2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Jack O'Conner

Heaviest thumper I ever shot was Marlin Guide Gun in 444. The porting helped but it still hurt my shoulder.

Jack
Old December 22, 2012, 08:49 AM   #16
JimPage

Shooting high recoil guns is/was fun. But the damage done to your joints is cumulative. That's why I said "was" because it hurts too much now. Contributes to arthritis also.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old December 22, 2012, 10:22 AM   #17
Edward429451

Quote:
Marlin Guide Gun in 444. The porting helped but it still hurt my shoulder.
Shot a ported 45/70 GG once. Recoil was ok but the increased muzzle blast was very discouraging, Didn't like it.

Many people feel as if they have to shoot full tilt loads and that's not very fun. Being a handloader is great in that one can load reasonable loads which are very effective for all general purposes, yet don't beat you up.

They can't tell on the firing line if you are shooting starting loads, all they can see is the big gun. I enjoy shooting big bore rifles and pistols but am not a masochist or egocentric. Sane practical loads in such arms are the cat's meow.

<(The 460 WHTBY isn't bad...)>
Masochist! LOL.
Old December 22, 2012, 10:39 AM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't understand the fascination with recoil. Seems delusional.

Recoil sucks. Guns that don't hurt are much more fun. Less recoil is better. You can shoot more and almost everyone shoots more accurately with less recoil. You can practice more, with less pain and become a better shooter. There isn't an animal in North America that requires anything more brutal than a .30-06 and frankly not even that.

More shooters have been wrecked by recoil than any other factor. It is the reason that most people flinch and I don't mean "most of the reason", I mean "most people flinch". Most normal, casual shooters develop a flinch from shooting high-recoil guns and it's easy to see. Watch someone "shoot" a 12ga that isn't loaded but they think it is. Usually looks like something electrocutes them. "CLICK!"

Recoil does physical damage, over time. It damages joints and can detach retinas.

I'm not impressed by recoil and I don't believe, deep down, that virtually anyone else is either.
Old December 22, 2012, 11:55 AM   #19
Hawg

I like recoil up to a point but I'm not recoil sensitive. To me a hot loaded 30-06 doesn't have much kick to it. I can shoot one with a steel butt plate all day long. A 450 Marlin, yeah I'll take the pad.
Old December 22, 2012, 11:57 AM   #20
4V50 Gary
Staff

Detached retina or tendinitis with accompanying body pain. No thanks.

Three shots from a .454 Casull convinced me it was too much gun for my wrists. I don't want to end up like Mel Tappan who enjoyed big bores but paid for it when he was crippled by years of it.
Old December 22, 2012, 12:36 PM   #21
coyota1

Quote:
Detached retina or tendinitis with accompanying body pain. No thanks.
Add chronic neck pain issues to the pile. I have a permanent sore spot in my right shoulder that "wakes up" after shooting heavy recoil guns. I've had to teach myself not to flinch due to recoil. One time I picked up a shortened bolt action 12 ga shotgun for dirt cheap to see how it shot slugs, but it was too light. I literally threw it in the brush after I felt tingling down my right arm. I did retrieve it, but I promptly traded it off. The tingling lasted for days.
Old December 22, 2012, 01:23 PM   #22
solocam72

My wife insisted on getting a cheap little break barrel shotgun to grouse hunt with it and I agreed thinking a 20 gauge would b plenty and a .410 would have even been better, she is on the stubborn side and insisted on a 12 gauge, she bought an H&R topper model 098 with modified barrel 3" chamber, Its really light weight and no recoild pad, just a hard piece of plastic type stuff, I put a 3" turkey load through it and that was plenty for me! I doubt she will get much use out of it!
Old December 22, 2012, 02:09 PM   #23
B.L.E.

Quote:
My wife insisted on getting a cheap little break barrel shotgun to grouse hunt with it and I agreed thinking a 20 gauge would b plenty and a .410 would have even been better, she is on the stubborn side and insisted on a 12 gauge, she bought an H&R topper model 098 with modified barrel 3" chamber, Its really light weight and no recoild pad, just a hard piece of plastic type stuff, I put a 3" turkey load through it and that was plenty for me! I doubt she will get much use out of it!
The nice thing about this gun is that you don't HAVE to shoot 3 inch magnum loads through it.
Buy those Winchester AA Lite loads for it, 7/8 ounce shot and 1100 fps, and it becomes that 20 gauge you should have bought.
If you reload, there's even a new powder available just for light loads down to 3/4 ounce which makes it the equal of a 28 gauge.
Old December 22, 2012, 02:11 PM   #24
TheGoldenState

Couple rounds out of my 4inch SW .500 might fix ya.

You want high recoil, you can beat up 5 joe smoes at once. You wear a mohawk.

Something tells me you drive a lifted truck with no mudflaps?

Old December 22, 2012, 03:47 PM   #25
solocam72

LMAO! Lifted truck with no mudflaps!