The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 15, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Metal god

Long term storage and rust removal ?

OK here's the deal . A friend of a friend asked him to store some guns . They been unused and sitting in a garage or closet , not sure for 18 years . My buddy called me cus he knows I'm in to guns and asked what and how should he store them . I have not seen them so I have no idea what kind of shape there in .

There is a 9mm , shotgun and two .22s one pistol one rifle . From what it sounds like the guy that owns them ( I know him a little but really only see him once every couple of years ) has not taken care of them and really has not even looked at them in years . My guess is there is going to be some rust and who knows what else . I told my buddy I would clean them up and get them ready to store .

The problem with that is I've never preped a gun for long term storage . After I've cleaned them and made sure they are safe and not rusted and pitted to the point of unsafe . How do I prep them and what do I tell him to store them in .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:29 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

Disassemble into major parts. Clean thoroughly as after a day at the range. Inspect. Oil lightly all working surfaces and inside the bore and chamber, and trigger mechanism, etc. Clean the wood and put some furniture polish on a rag and wipe it down. Oil a cloth or rag and wipe all exterior metal. For rust, if you're not going to have them re-blued, just clean as well as you can and oil it up. They should be stored in a safe, and cleaned occaisonally, but you can wrap in gas paper or oiled saran wrap and box them up, if you need them put out of the way entirely.

Be sure to get a receipt or transfer signed by the owner before you accept them, and take pictures of them for the 'before' album.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:33 PM   #3
LittleBilly

Little Billy

I always liked to put a little car wax on the stock and barrel like turtle wax or simonize car wax buff it by hand to seal the gun. Moisture if it gets on the gun just runs off like water off of a ducks back. My guns look like new in part from following this procedure; yet they have been is storage for years.

A little gun oil down the barrel does not hurt either.

I hope this helps with your project.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:53 PM   #4
Metal god

This may help clarify what I'm doing . I believe the guns will not see the light of day for another 20 years . In that time they may be stored in many different places , most likely in a box up in the atic or basement with no real concern for them . Why do I care then ? cus a friend asked me for help and I will do my best to do that . If they were going to be here at my place it's no problem . I would just take care of them as if they were my own . Yes it is a bit far removed but it's a very good friend asking me to help him do a favor for a long time friend .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 16, 2012, 12:13 AM   #5
drail

If they end up being stored in an attic or a basement they will suffer damage. The humidity of the air where they are stored is at least (if not more) important than what kind of oil/grease/wax you use. I would tell your friend to keep them oiled and to not store them in any kind of holster/gun case/rug/cardboard box with a foam or fabric lining. The best long term protection I have found (short of cosmoline) is Breakfree Collector. It performs as advertised. They need to be kept in a dry and temp. stable environment.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:41 AM   #6
KyJim

The military has the most experience in storing guns for decades. Cosmoline is tried and true. Look at http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/ or look at http://www.mil-specproducts.com/Prod...L-846,-CLASS-I (which purports to be a modern Cosmoline).
Old December 16, 2012, 04:08 AM   #7
natman

Breakfree Collector for the metal, then store in VCI bags.