The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 14, 2012, 06:48 AM   #1
rrruger

Rimfire vs. Centerfire?

Would some of you care to comment on the DA trigger pull of a rimfire .22 and a centerfire? My personal experience is very limited but my H&R 999 has a light SA pull and a DA pull that would make Godzilla happy. I know that you need a heavy pull for the rimfire case, but how much could one lighten the hammer/trigger before it affects reliability?
Old December 14, 2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Hal

The H&R double action can't really be altered much.
They aren't a real good example of a D/A either.

In general though, a D/A rimfire is going to be heavier because it takes more of a strike to set off the rimfire.

On an H&R, you can grind off part of the hammer spring to lighten the pull a little.
Either have a gunsmith that's done it before do it or get an extra spring if you DIY.

I had a gunsmith do mine years ago and he got it down from "Godzilla" to about "Gorilla" level.
IIRC, he took off two coils - but - don't hold me to that.

The only other D/A rimfires I own are S&W M17's. The D/A on those is pretty good. Not as good as my M19, but, pretty good.
Wait - I forgot - I also own a Dan Wesson D/A .22. It's on sort of permanant loan to a friend of mine.
I think the D/A trigger on it stinks.
He thinks it's fantastic.
I own S&W
He owns Ruger.
That's probably why. The Dan D/A trigger feels more like a Ruger than a Smith.
Old December 14, 2012, 12:32 PM   #3
kahrguy

Small 22 revolver triggers on a whole are bad. I have to taurus revolvers. One is a old model 85 that now has a 2lb SA and 4 1/2lb DA pull after polished and wolf spring. After buying and cutting spring for the model 94 it is down to 8lbs DA and relieable. Just the way 22lr revolvers are when small. I have several DW revolvers and the .22 version has the same trigger pull as the 357's we have. Great.