The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 28, 2012, 05:35 AM   #1
tristar viper

Would like some advice.....

I want to have the sights replaced on my P226 Navy. I really like the Sig Lite adjustable combat sights. I don't ever carry this gun (have my G19 for that) so a sight that might protrude a little does not bother me.
At this moment I think I want to send the gun to Sig to have this done, because I trust what they do. I'm not so sure I trust the local gun shop to do it. Am I being too cautious maybe? It's possible the local shop would do a fine job, but I'm VERY particular with this gun, it's my favorite of all time and I just want to make sure the job is done cleanly and correctly.
And I'd also be willing to listen to suggestions for something other than the combat sights. I like something I can SEE....the little white dots have never been my favorite.
Any and all input appreciated here....
Old November 28, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Edward429451

My experience with changing sights is that if your front sight is staked on, then you need to be careful that whomever does is is very versed in staking. If it's done poorly then you might just lose your new sight. If your front sight is dovetailed in then it's safer to let non-factory personnel perform the switch.
Old November 28, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3
chris in va

On a side note, you are not required by law to have the handgun shipped overnight. Our local store/distributor charges $18 and ships everything ground UPS.

If you are nervous about the LGS doing the job, just send it in. I will say however the factory Sig night sights on my 220 were very small and hard to use during matches. I much prefer a fiber optic front.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:06 PM   #4
LockedBreech

I have the same installation frets about my Beretta PX4. I want Trijicons for it but I don't want one of the two local gun shops to hamfistedly scratch it up or put them on crooked or anything.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:45 PM   #5
tristar viper

I had a P229 SCT (that I stupidly decided to sell) and it had a fiber optic front sight. That was a pretty awesome piece. It was very visible in all conditions.
And I don't need to ship the whole gun in they tell me...just the slide. Sig does whatever alignment of the sights with whatever special equipment they have, but they never actually need to fire the gun, so they said.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:57 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
On a side note, you are not required by law to have the handgun shipped overnight. Our local store/distributor charges $18 and ships everything ground UPS.
That needs a clarifier. An FFL holder can ship a handgun through USPS priority mail and it will arrive in 3 days or less. A private citizen without an FFL cannot do this through the postal service and has to ship overnight with a private carrier. The private carriers, UPS and FedEx, require overnight delivery for a handgun to the best of my knowledge. The key to all this is if you have an FFL. Now an unscrupulous person might decide not to tell the private carrier what is in the box, but I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole. This is all just my understanding.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 28, 2012, 04:58 PM   #7
TunnelRat

How much do they want to charge you? Both the front and rear sight have dovetails. Any decent smith should be able to do the install for you. Mine charges $35 and gets it back to me in 3-5 days or so just because of all the other stuff on his plate.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:09 AM   #8
tristar viper

For the adjustable combat sights, the total bill including the sights and the $14.95 they charge for return shipping, would be $164. They told me the that if I would go with the regular night sights the bill would be about $30 less.
I'm not so concerned with the cost, I want it done right.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:56 AM   #9
dgludwig

Do you know if the SIG "combat adjustable sights" you're looking at are the same ones as SIG installs on their Model TTT (and a couple of others) 1911 pistol? If so, I can tell you from personal experience that the sight will be a great addition to your model P226. It's compact yet very visible and the adjustments are precise. And I think the price you've been quoted is reasonable.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:27 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
I'm not so concerned with the cost, I want it done right.
Undoubtedly, but installing sights isn't rocket science. Anyway, from the sounds of it you'd feel better having them do it. Best of luck!
Old November 30, 2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Brian48

I would send it to Sig. Just my .02 cents.
Old December 1, 2012, 09:10 AM   #12
rodfac

I'd send it to Sig...call them and they'll tell you how they want it sent. Trusting a pistol as expensive as that Sig to a local smith could be an exercise in frustration and an expensive mistake. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.