The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 24, 2012, 01:50 PM   #1
JD Powell

Proper scope for a 100 year old remington 12a?

Just picked up a 1913 Remington model. 12A for my old lady to squirrel hunt with.The reciever has two d&t holes in the top for scope mount. I am looking for a high quality older scope and mount that would look right, as well as have good optics for sub 100yd shooting. Doesn't have to be as old as the rifle obviously, just vintage enough to be a good pairing. What is available? What price range will I be looking at? And any other tid bits of wisdom you can throw at me would be appreciated.
Old November 24, 2012, 02:31 PM   #2
alex0535

I think a proper scope is one that works well.

You are going to have a hard time finding an old rifle scope that is of good enough quality that would make it better than using iron sights.

What are you looking for in this optic other than it looking vintage? What sort of power range do you want, or do you want a fixed power?

I feel like the "old" rifle scopes look a tad ridiculous with how long they tend to be. A newer scope will offer you better light transmission, better adjustment, an actual warranty, more fog resistant, and just a better overall optic. Newer optics look pretty similar to old optics, little has changed in their design other than refinement in the design.
Old November 24, 2012, 02:45 PM   #3
big al hunter

Just my opinion but the older guns look better with irons. The stock is made for shooting irons. I would recommend an aperture sight. A little more challenging than a scope, but it has the vintage look you desire.

If a scope is your end all be all desire, Weaver makes a rail for the 12a. I would choose an old weaver or Leopold. I occasionally see them at pawn shops and used gun stores. If you don't see any old ones ask the sales person if they have any in the back room. Most of the old scopes get removed before going up for sale. They detract from the looks of a newer gun and buyers are more likely to buy a new scope too (more profit). Or search e-bay and gunbroker.com
Old November 24, 2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Unless you have a lot of time and money to search for and pay for a Leupold repro of Lyman Alaskan, the best approach would be a fixed power scope in the lowest rings. A scope from between the wars, as if the original owner had modernized would be of lower optical performance.

A Weaver K3 with no objective bell would look about as close as you could get with reasonable glass. Otherwise about any fixed power scope would be serviceable and not very expensive. Lots of used fixed power scopes out there.
Old November 24, 2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Scorch

Older scopes are available, but you have to be patient in your search and keep your eyes open. I have several older Weaver scopes I will be listing for sale this week, a V8 from the late 40s-early 50s with external adjustments, a K2.5, and 2 K4s. If you are interested you can PM me.
Old November 24, 2012, 05:05 PM   #6
JD Powell

Scorch, I've sent you a pm.

I have tried to get her to use arpeture sights. I have a skinner receiver mount peep on my Marlin papoose. But she has a hard time focusing with iron sights. Heavy eyeglass prescription causes her to squint at the sights and get a headache. I was thinking something along the lines of a 4 power fixed scope. Most of her shooting is going to be 25-75 yards. I am not trying to make a collector piece. I just don't want to bubba this old rifle up by dropping some new scope/ mount on it that's gonna look like crap.
Old November 24, 2012, 07:59 PM   #7
coyota1

I have an old Bushnell 4x ScopeChief on my 222, and I'm gonna leave it. Maybe something like that would work. There are lots of similar scopes on ebay on the cheap. Check it out.
Old November 25, 2012, 11:56 AM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
I have several older Weaver scopes I will be listing for sale this week, a V8 from the late 40s-early 50s with external adjustments, a K2.5, and 2 K4s.
Where were you two weeks ago. I've been looking for a GOOD K2.5 for a long time, finely found one last week.

I paid too much ($99) but at least I don't have to hunt for one any more. I bet I spent twice that in fuel looking for one.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 25, 2012, 01:05 PM   #9
PetahW

The two holes D/T'd atop the rear of the receiver are the factory prep for a receiver peep sight, and not for scope mount bases, which were another 40 years in the future at the time.

She may be having trouble using peep sights because of improper use/sighting.

She should be only looking through the peep aperture, w/o actually seeing it, and looking at only the front sight, placing it "on target", beit game or paper.

If she's having difficulty doing so, try unscrewing/removing the peep sight's aperture, and have her shoot the same way, using the resulting "ghost ring".

Old November 25, 2012, 04:17 PM   #10
JD Powell

PetahW, that's a nice lookin peep setup there. What make/model is that?
I had her try my Marlin w/ arpeture sights again. She's willing to give them a shot before going to a scope. Hopefully it works out, because I really prefer peep sights over scopes.
Old November 25, 2012, 06:46 PM   #11
PetahW

I believe the sight's a Lyman R-12; but a Marbles R-7 is an almost exact duplicate.

Old November 25, 2012, 06:51 PM   #12
coyota1

PetahW, what model/caliber rifle is that?
Old November 25, 2012, 10:56 PM   #13
PetahW

Basically the same as the subject of this thread - a .22LR Remington Model 12 pump/slide action similar to the OP's.

Old November 26, 2012, 01:11 AM   #14
coyota1

JD Powell, after knowing that's the same rifle you have in PetahW's pic, why not pick up an inexpensive rifle to mount a scope on? A scope would not do this any aesthetic justice.