The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 25, 2012, 01:38 AM   #26
stormyone

Don't forget about the psychological effect the blast, fire and sound the snubby 357 is going to have on the person being shot at.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:17 AM   #27
Hal

Quote:
Don't forget about the psychological effect the blast, fire and sound the snubby 357 is going to have on the person being shot at.
Do you honestly feel that's true?

Once the trigger is pulled and the bullet is on it's way towards them, I don't really think a person cares about things like that.

Last edited by Hal; November 25, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old November 25, 2012, 12:00 PM   #28
Crankgrinder

I dont know of psychological effects but im very sure of the overall effects that having 10-15 holes in the torso region can do to a persons psyche.
Old November 25, 2012, 01:20 PM   #29
ShotPlacement

Yes. Barrel length matters as far as the velocity of the bullet is concerned. The longer the bullet is exposed to the expanding gases produced by the burning gun powder it's velocity increases. The moment it leaves the barrel it begins to slow down.

In short barrel firearms sometimes the powder does not have enough time to burn completely before the bullet exits the barrel and begins to slow. So the extra discharge produces extra recoil, noise and flame.

Many ammunition manufacturers produce 'short barrel' ammunition using proprietary powder mixtures specially designed for snubbies and the like.

Many people like 357Mag snubbies. I don't fault them, I'd certainly hate to be in front of one.

Fact is the recoil from a small 357Mag like an SP101 is brutal! And the SP101 is pure stainless steel and heavy for it's size.

Shot placement and quick follow-up shots are more important than caliber. Try firing 5 or 6 357s and then 5 or 6 38spl+Ps. You'll find that you'll get back on target and be able to fire your follow-up shots a lot quicker with the 38s. IMHO - three quick 38spls on target will trump 3 badly aimed 357s.

Shot placement if King,
Penetration is Queen,
And all the rest is, dust in the wind.
Old November 25, 2012, 07:05 PM   #30
Nanuk

From a 1 7/8" S/W 640 145 STHP's crony 1250 FPS and 125 Winchester's Crony 1350 FPS.

You will find more variation from barrel to barrel tan you will with a shorter barrel.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.