The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1
dayman

Folding shotgun stock.

Yet another post, but I'm very grateful for all the advise. Aside from my dad's old side by side, and some skeet shooting with borrowed guns I'm pretty new to the world of shotguns.

I've decided to get one primarily for HD, and have decided that storing it would be easier if I could install a folding stock.

I was looking at this folding stock for a Rem870.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience with it ans can say if it will hold up to a lot of shooting.

Or, I'm also open to suggestions for other folding stocks that do work.

Or, I'm open to the realization that I should just get a solid stock.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:05 PM   #2
scottd913

I'm not very big on folding stocks i think they look a little to middle eastern. but if thats what you want its fine... there are many out there to choose from.
my biggest concern is if you want the gun for home defense why in the world would you want to store it? when some one breaks in your house you cant ask them to wait till you go to closet and dig it out of the back and load it!
Old November 20, 2012, 10:18 PM   #3
breakingcontact

I don't care for the folding stocks I've handled.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:45 PM   #4
MTSCMike

Personally I prefer to keep it simple for home defense. The less gadgets, add-ons and items requiring manipulation the better. I've taken a few upper level shotgun classes and NONE of the serious students or instructors had folders or "pistol grip only" stocks. The classes are usually about evenly divided between standard buttstock and a buttstock with pistol grip. Some were shortened a bit for ease of mounting.

I prefer the standard stock profile. For me it is the most versatile for use from varying firing positions. Mine is about 1/2" shorter than average because I shoot from a squared stance instead of standing "bladed" to the target.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:32 AM   #5
dayman

My idea was that when I leave the house I'd like to put it in my bedroom safe. But with a full length gun that would take some rearranging of shelves. Also, folded it would fit into my backpack.
I've attempted to use a couple shotguns with just pistol grips and not liked them. So what I was hoping to find was a stock that would fold, but be fully functional when unfolded. I'm not planning on using it with the stock unfolded.

The stock in my OP looked promising in that regard, but there weren't a lot of reviews by people who seem to shoot a lot.
If I don't find something acceptable I'll just get a fixed stock and rearrange my safe.