The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 21, 2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Metal god

AWB and stripped lower question

So I got to thinking . If there were to be another similar AWB . If they grandfathered in guns you already own , Would the stripped lower be all you need prior to the ban to then put any bells and whistles on it you want .

Example - The new AWB states no more flash hiders or collapsible stock on new production guns but if you had these things before the law took effect you can keep them .

Would all one really need is the stripped lower to be completely grandfathered in ? I don't remember how it worked last time .

And for the sake of argument . If there was confiscation of said firearms would the stripped lower be all you need to turn in ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 21, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2
TMD

Until there is another AWB everything is purly speculation.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Crow Hunter

If the laws are exactly like the previous AWB. (Which they probably wouldn't be)

No, you have to have the weapon in the configuration of an "Assault Weapon" as defined in the law at the time it went into effect. (ie built with an upper with all the "evil" features on it)

Previously, a lower receiver by itself was not considered an AW.

Good luck.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Mobuck

How the flip would they know if it was complete or in parts at the time of the ban?
Old November 21, 2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Crow Hunter

Quote:
How the flip would they know if it was complete or in parts at the time of the ban?
I would imagine that if it was sold as complete rifle by the manufacturer, it would be assumed it was a complete rifle at the time the ban was in effect.

If it were just a lower when it was sold, it would probably shift the burden of proof to the owner to show that it had been assembled prior to the ban.

But I don't know that as a fact and I don't remember anyone getting prosecuted for having a built a preban serial numbered receiver into a fully featured rifle post ban.

I do remember some lowers that were found after the ban whose serial number range was earlier than the ban enactment, but the advice at the time was that building a "new Assault Weapon" using those lowers would be against the law.

Good luck.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:43 PM   #6
kraigwy

A bit off topic.

I mentioned in the C&R forum about finding a '98 Krag in excellent shape.

While going over the gun I asked the clerk (owner) if the Krag was a pre-ban, He started to look at the gun..then, gave me a weird look and started laughing.

Had him going for a couple seconds.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 22, 2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Metal god

The reason I ask is I'm going to buy another gun soon . I was planning on a Savage Model: 12 FVSS or Model: 10 FCP-K but I was thinking maybe just go get 5 or 6 lowwers before the panic buying starts .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .