The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 31, 2012, 09:11 PM   #1
rmocarsky

Question about Henry rifles

Gunners,

Is there any special care that must be given to protect and maintain the brass components on Henry lever action rifles?

I remember that many years ago I had a brass lamp that required regular polishing. Is this true with the Henrys?

Rmocarsky
Old October 31, 2012, 09:26 PM   #2
twhidd

It's my understanding that the cover plate on the receiver is not really brass, but rather brass coated aluminum or some other metal. I think Henry calls it "brasslite".
Old October 31, 2012, 09:37 PM   #3
warbirdlover

If the receiver material is aluminum it would be anodized and that won't require maintenance.
Old October 31, 2012, 10:27 PM   #4
the rifleer

But it has a brass coating on it, which would become dull after time.
Old October 31, 2012, 11:06 PM   #5
shamaz

1. The Henry Golden Boy has a receiver cover and barrel band made of Zamak 5 plus a brass buttplate. Here's info on Zamak which is an alloy of zinc, aluminum, copper and magnesium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

Andy Wickstrom of Henry subcontractor Henry Wisconsin which produces the receiver covers and bands had this to say about their Zamak alloy:

"First, the metallurgical standard for this metal is Zamak 5. Inside of the Zamak 5 spec we maintain even tighter control of certain elements to further improve physical properties. Second, the metal is cast using the ultimate in high pressure die casting equipment. The power and speed of this process is impressive. The process used to control the quality of the product consists of countless variables that are finely tuned to produce the very best physical and cosmetic properties."

On the Golden Boys the Zamak receiver covers are coated with "Brasslite" which is a brass-tinted clear coat paint.

2. On the other hand, the Henry Big Boy has a hardened brass receiver, barrel band and buttplate.

Last edited by shamaz; November 1, 2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:00 AM   #6
PetahW

So, to answer the OP's question - No.

The RF Henry Golden Boys have a protective coating over the color coat, and IMHO there's not many guns more attractive than a properly weather/aged (brownish) henry (real) brass receiver, ala the gennie 1860's that survive today.

Of course, if you like bling, YMMV................
Old November 1, 2012, 10:12 AM   #7
EdInk

My Henry Big Boy receiver is real brass. The only downside to it is that it scratches easily.
Old November 1, 2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Bigboy44

The question hasn't really been answered (unless I missed it). i was wondering the same thing. Can it be cleaned like anything else in the house that's brass? There's a cleaner called" "brasso". I thought about that. But then again, I think the the patina on old brass is cool too. Big decision!
Genesis 1:28
Old November 1, 2012, 01:31 PM   #9
twhidd

Shoot an email to Henry. I've received replies from Anthony Imperato personally when I've emailed them with questions. Although, they may be slow to reply since the hurricane blew through that area.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Hawg

You wont need to polish the receiver cover on a Golden Boy, it wont dull. I wish mine would dull, I prefer a mellow look not the gaudy look of shiny brass.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:41 PM   #11
coyota1

Quote:
My Henry Big Boy receiver is real brass. The only downside to it is that it scratches easily.
So if you don't polish your receiver, does it go dull??
Old November 1, 2012, 07:51 PM   #12
SCDeac82

If it has a coating...(lacquer)...don't use abrasive polishes. I used to sell fine brass tables from LaBarge when I was in the furniture business. Just wipe with a clean cotton cloth. Don't "kill it with care."
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 1, 2012, 08:01 PM   #13
coyota1

It seems impractical to have a lacquer finish on a brass receiver. If it chips off those areas would probably start to tarnish.
Old November 1, 2012, 10:31 PM   #14
Bigboy44

The big boys are solid brass, the golden boys are coated.
Genesis 1:28
Old November 2, 2012, 09:10 AM   #15
jmortimer

It is a brass alloy. Quite strong.