The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 18, 2013, 04:37 PM   #1
aprubio

Electronic ear muffs

So what's the consensus? Better than regular ear plugs? Can you hear a twig snap or a deer snickering when wearing? Any brands, models, specs, etc., better than others? Make sure to reply loudly
Old August 18, 2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Jen-from-IL

Electronic ear muffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprubio View Post
So what's the consensus? Better than regular ear plugs? Can you hear a twig snap or a deer snickering when wearing? Any brands, models, specs, etc., better than others? Make sure to reply loudly
I bought a pair of the Howard Leight Impact Sport and have been pleased with them. I have only used them outside, so I cannot say how well the work at an indoor range. I also used plugs too. In my PPITH class, I was able to hear the instructors and others talking with no problem. The shooting noises were reduced quite a bit, in my opinion (again, I use both plugs and muffs).
Old August 18, 2013, 06:13 PM   #3
btmj

I have a cheap pair... like $25 or something... I think they work great, but I am sure that a more expensive pair would be even better.

Outside, they are all I need. And yes, while deer hunting you can still hear the forest sounds.

At an indoor range, I use them along with foam ear plugs. I turn the volume up high, and I can hear voices through the foam ear plugs, but gunfire is muffled completely.
Old August 18, 2013, 06:43 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

I have a set of Peltors that I upgraded with the gel earpads. Very comfortable and the battery life is amazing.

The volume can be adjusted such that your hearing is better than normal while maintaining binaural hearing so you can still locate sounds normally.

I really like them for the range because they virtually eliminate the temptation to remove them for conversation which means you don't get caught without your hearing protection if someone starts shooting close to you while you're trying to talk to a fellow shooter.
Old August 18, 2013, 09:49 PM   #5
myfriendis410

Years ago I bought a pair of Dillons for $150. I used them for years until a friend had me try out his ProEars Dimension Plus muffs. We were at Station 1 on the skeet field, shooting the .410 and I called for High 1 and heard, not the report of the gun, but the echo from the low house of the gun. I went home and bought a pair that day. They have the fastest response time of any: 2 milliseconds. The Dillons were 8! I just wish I'd had them thirty years ago, my hearing would be SO much better......
Old August 19, 2013, 12:12 AM   #6
K1500

My Peltor Tac 6-s are great for amplification and natural sound, but in my opinion they have an insufficient NRR. When running matches in confined spaces, especially with AR's, I would notice it bad. I would use them for hunting in the cold or when shooting .22's on a bay all by myself. I will not use them in a match or when shooting with others using anything louder than a .22. As always, YMMV.
Old August 19, 2013, 03:59 AM   #7
bamaranger

great

I was given a pair as a gift quite a few years back and they eventually quit.
I also had a pair "requisitioned" at work. And I've since bought a cheap pair.
Great item.

I typically double up and use foam plugs and the muffs. Crank the volume up.You can hear range commands, coaching, etc, but shots are muffled.
Old August 19, 2013, 04:41 AM   #8
Jimro

I bought a set of Hower Leight Impact Sport when they were on sale for 40 bucks.

I can't recommend them highly enough. Lots of high power shooters wear them in the pits, you can have a normal conversation without ever raising your voice and not be bothered by the crack of the rounds through the targets.

Jimro
Old August 19, 2013, 05:33 AM   #9
rebs

I have a pair of Caldwell's from Midway USA I bought for 26.00. They work ok but I am wondering if the Howard Leigh's would be better. Has anyone actually compared them ?
Old August 22, 2013, 02:43 AM   #10
cwmax2000

Low cost & great performance

I am poor! What are the best for the least amount of money?

Thanks Cmax
Old August 23, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Erikbal

Re: Electronic ear muffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmax2000 View Post
I am poor! What are the best for the least amount of money?

Thanks Cmax
Ditto!
Old August 23, 2013, 05:06 PM   #12
WWWJD

+1 on the Howard Leight Impact Sports; had my doubts but they handle my .308 with muzzle brake just fine. Tried them on the pistol range too; being able to hear the wind blow and brass hitting the gravel while shooting is a trip!

NRA Endowment FTW

Tags
ear protection , electronic , hearing protection